/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I can think of one thing.
Posted By: SubduedRadicalDate: 1/1/08 6:09 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I can think of one thing. (Nicholai)

: Yes... If I were the Earth's government president I'd order the military to
: take away fusion weapons from the arsenal... they are unstable, and
: dangerous

Governments and militaries change weapons all the time, though the trend is *USUALLY* towards higher technology, though abandoning highly dangerous weapons does make some sense...

: But there are teleporters in Halo... aren't they? I think it was dangerous,
: because Covenant could use it against humans or maybe they could easily
: trace human's communications... but those are just conjetures... is there
: a fact that states something that contradicts completely both worlds,
: like: "and the the humans hadn't colonized Mars on year 2450" or
: "This situation is like the one described on UESC Marathon novel,
: Colonel Metzger"??

The "teleporters" in Halo are the ones on the Halo ring itself, and used by the monitor of the installation, 343-Guilty Spark (Forerunner AI.) The Covenant use gravity repulsor tech (grav-lifts) and transport ships, but don't have teleporters. The Humans still use (fossil?) fuel burning dropships to get around.

Strictly speaking, though, it might be possible that the Humans had gone through some sort of "Dark Age" after the Marathon left (possibly that terrorist group that staged the coup on Mars.) It's (semi-)apparent from Marathon that the Humans had access to Jjaro technology, namely in the creation of the cyborg layer-character as Derandal says in the closing of Infinity. It is entirely possible that the teleporters, fusion pistol, ect were products of Jjaro technology. If that was the case, Humanity emerging from a "Dark Age" may not have been capable of reproducing such technologyies. If the existing ones were either destroyed (during the wars/dark age) or all sent away (on the Marathon or other ships), than they wouldn't have any templates to use to rediscover the technologies.

I would LIKE to point out that in Ghosts of Onyx (Halo book, the forth one), at the end of the book, the characters make use of Forerunner teleporting pads. They're small square things a few square meters, blackish (and looking down into them, you see into a sort of infinity the way the tech exists, causing a sense of virtigo.) In a way, is this not somewhat similar to the concept of a jump-pad?

QUOTE:
"... This map room can access a Slipspace translocation system similar to the one Cortana used on the Halo ring."
She pointed down.
Kurt saw they stood upon a matte-black surface flush with the floor. It was four meters wide and had seven sides. His gaze seemed to slide deeper into the surface like he was looking at something infinately deep..or nothing at all.
:ENDQUOTE (Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, E. Nylund, p. 311)

That sounds eerily similar to the technology used on the Marathon, albeit far more powerful (as would be expected if the Marathon's was made from studying a Jjaro[?Forerunner] technology of that nature. Gee, should I link to the http://marathon.bungie.org/story/jumppads.html page...?)

Of course, this could simply be coincidence or sci-fi hapenstance (for the sake of simplicity, many games and sci-fi worlds use teleporters/transporters just becaue it makes getting around more feasable, just as FTL tech, while kind of far out there in real-world physics terms, is used because going at sublight speeds would take FAR too long. I mean, who wants to read a book/play a game where your character puts on 3-15 years between every scene just in travel time? ^_^)

There are some "near miss" conflicts. Where are the Covenant in Marathon? (Response: After their Civil War, it fell apart and the member races went their seperate ways, all forming small, isolationist empires?) Where are the Pfhor in Halo? (Response: Maybe their empire exists very far away, so they haven't encountered any of the major powers in Halo?) Though the Pfhor seek Jjaro (and presumably ANY high tech ancient relics), how is it they haven't found a Halo, even though there are seven of them spread across the galaxy? (Response: Even the Covenant, who have sought Forerunner relics for years didn't actually find the Halo until Cortana accidently lead them to it with her "(semi-)blind" jump.) Why wasn't the Marathon contacted by the UNSC of Halo's time? (Response: The UNSC HAS long range jumpspace capable transport probes, but they're prohibitavely expensive [See; Ghosts of Onyx]. >Counterresponse: Why not send a ship?< }Countercounterresponse: Maybe the Marathon was though lost or believed unimportant...or, perhaps, dangerous? Its AIs had been running for a LONG timespan, and the UNSC might have (rightly) feard that they had gone Rampant and could pose a threat to thier ships. This could also explain why there was no colony on Tau Ceti; the UNSC may not have wanted to be where the Marathon AIs could infect their nets ans spread across the galaxy with their FTL technologies. Further, if there WAS a "Dark Age", the UNSC might simply not even know of the Marathon's existance. And the Marathon could also have fallen through some kind of space warp to end up 92 lightyears away instead of 11. Though 11 is well within the UNSC's capability, 92 might not be.{)

Needless to say, there are a number of, as I said, "near miss" story conflicts. With some bit of thinking or effort (as this handful of examples), it's possible to rectify most of them. A better question would be, does Bungie WANT them rectified.

I will say that there is the fun aspect of the 7 Terminals on Halo 3 (and finding all 7 nets you the "Marathon Man" achievement award.) I've taken pics with my digital camera, and they make for interesting reading. If I can get then cleared up, I really outta put them on my site for people to read.

It's also interesting to note that, while there is an ongoing dialog between two characters (Didact and The Librarian), there are also 7 non-connected bits of information, and some scrolling red characters which are from an AI called Medicant Bias (whom Didact mentions, as well as Offensive Bias.) MB goes rogue and joins, presumably, the Flood's central intelligence (reminiscent of the Zerg from StarCraft...), and is believed to have gone rampant (if you pay CAREFUL attention to the red stuff, which is hard cause the font and color make it difficult to read when it ISN'T scrolling fast, you'll see a few lines like "I win" and such. An interesting note is the relation between Offensive Bias and Medicant Bias is similar to that between Tycho and Durandal...though in the end, OB catches MB and locks him down. In the final red "error" text, it seems that MB is talking to you, the player, but it's hard to see what he's saying.

(...also interesting is that in Contact Harvest [the 5th Halo book published, but the first in chronological order] is that the "Oracle" [Covenent name for the instillation monitors like Guilty Spark] says something about renouncing its bias and taking the Reclaimers[?Humans] to the Ark. This Oracle is located on the Forerunner ship on High Charatiy ath the end of Halo 2. I'd quote it, but I don't have the book with me atm.)

...but that's more off topic than not, so I'll stop now.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Ok, I got to clarify this matter:Nicholai 3/31/05 11:48 a.m.
     I can think of one thing.howekern 3/31/05 11:59 a.m.
           Re: I can think of one thing.blake37 3/31/05 12:03 p.m.
                 Re: I can think of one thing.Nicholai 3/31/05 3:36 p.m.
           Re: I can think of one thing.Nicholai 3/31/05 3:46 p.m.
                 Re: I can think of one thing.Tyler 3/31/05 5:32 p.m.
                       I doubt ithowekern 3/31/05 7:21 p.m.
                 Re: I can think of one thing.Yossarian 3/31/05 7:41 p.m.
                       stephen kingtcm 4/1/05 6:09 a.m.
                             Re: stephen king, don't forget castle rock *NM*blake37 4/1/05 10:33 a.m.
                             Re: stephen kingVid Boi 4/2/05 4:26 a.m.
                                   that other book and stuff? *NM*tcm 4/6/05 8:16 a.m.
                 Re: I can think of one thing.Forrest of B.org 3/31/05 8:06 p.m.
                       Re: I can think of one thing.Nicholai 4/1/05 5:09 p.m.
           Re: I can think of one thing.duality 4/2/05 9:43 a.m.
                 Good point. *NM*howekern 4/2/05 1:00 p.m.
                 Re: I can think of one thing.Nicholai 4/2/05 2:16 p.m.
                       Re: I can think of one thing.SubduedRadical 1/1/08 6:09 p.m.
                             Re: I can think of one thing.Document 1/1/08 6:31 p.m.
                                   Re: I can think of one thing.SubduedRadical 1/1/08 9:18 p.m.
                                         Re: I can think of one thing.Forrest of B.org 1/1/08 10:52 p.m.
                                               Re: I can think of one thing.SubduedRadical 1/1/08 11:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: I can think of one thing.Forrest of B.org 1/2/08 10:03 a.m.
                                                           Re: I can think of one thing.Document 1/2/08 7:40 p.m.
                                   Re: I can think of one thing.Claude Errera 1/2/08 5:07 a.m.
                                         Re: I can think of one thing.Document 1/2/08 6:10 p.m.
                                               Re: I can think of one thing.Claude Errera 1/3/08 4:43 a.m.
                                                     Re: I can think of one thing.thermoplyae 1/3/08 7:47 a.m.
                                                           Re: I can think of one thing.SubduedRadical 1/5/08 11:10 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I can think of one thing.Claude Errera 1/5/08 12:00 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I can think of one thing.Marathoner325 1/13/08 6:26 a.m.
                                                                             Re: I can think of one thing.Marathoner325 1/13/08 6:28 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I can think of one thing.Bob-B-Q 1/13/08 1:54 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I can think of one thing.thermoplyae 1/13/08 8:21 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I can think of one thing.Marathoner325 1/17/08 5:16 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I can think of one thing.Forrest of B.org 1/17/08 6:15 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I can think of one thing.Marathoner325 1/20/08 12:22 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I can think of one thing.Document 1/20/08 3:06 p.m.
     Here's something.. maybe.K-chi 3/31/05 6:07 p.m.
           Possiblyhowekern 3/31/05 7:24 p.m.
                 Oh Please!Steve Levinson 4/1/05 10:39 a.m.
                       Re: Oh Please!Tyler 4/1/05 4:35 p.m.
     Bungie: "They are not the same. End of story." *NM*luke9 3/31/05 6:29 p.m.
           Fun to speculate anyway, though...? *NM*howekern 3/31/05 7:24 p.m.
                 Yeah, like four years ago...it's getting tired.. *NM*Yossarian 3/31/05 7:30 p.m.
                       Don't be stingy.K-chi 4/1/05 5:35 a.m.
                             Re: Don't be stingy.Yossarian 4/1/05 8:12 p.m.
                                   Re: Don't be stingy.K-chi 4/2/05 8:34 a.m.
                                         Re: Don't be stingy.Yossarian 4/2/05 8:50 a.m.
                                               Re: Don't be stingy.D-M.A. 4/2/05 9:03 a.m.
                                                     why our conversations always end like this? *NM*Nicholai 4/2/05 9:14 a.m.
                                               Re: Don't be stingy.K-chi 4/2/05 11:07 a.m.
                                                     Questionhowekern 4/2/05 1:14 p.m.
           Re:Blah Blah, George Lucas said he would never doNicholai 3/31/05 7:48 p.m.
                 Re:Blah Blah, George Lucas said he would never doMalakite 4/1/05 2:58 p.m.
                       Re:Blah Blah, George Lucas said he would never doK-chi 4/1/05 3:09 p.m.
                             Re:Blah Blah, George Lucas said he would never doNicholai 4/1/05 5:04 p.m.
           Bungie: "It's the same character."Vid Boi 4/1/05 1:42 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie: "It's the same character."thermoplyae 4/1/05 1:42 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie: "It's the same character."duality 4/2/05 9:18 p.m.
                             Re: Bungie: "It's the same character."K-chi 4/2/05 9:34 p.m.
                                   Re: Bungie: "It's the same character."Vid Boi 4/2/05 10:20 p.m.
                                         If it doesn't make sense...blake37 4/3/05 4:53 a.m.
                                               Re: If it doesn't make sense...Forrest of B.org 4/3/05 10:55 p.m.
                                                     Terrible, terrible, idiotic jokehowekern 4/4/05 12:03 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie: "It's the same character."Document 1/1/08 6:13 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie: "It's the same character."Forrest of B.org 1/1/08 11:01 p.m.
     I found and interesting site(link)Nicholai 4/3/05 6:26 p.m.
           Re: I found and interesting site(link)Andrew Nagy 4/5/05 9:32 a.m.
                 Re: I found and interesting site(link)Enkidu 4/5/05 10:10 a.m.
                 Oooh, you were talking about the *drawings*...Enkidu 4/5/05 2:20 p.m.
                       WTF!!! they stole a weapon from Aftermath!!! O_oJohannes Gunnar 4/5/05 3:37 p.m.
                 Re: I found and interesting site(link)Claude Errera 4/6/05 7:34 a.m.
                       Re: I found and interesting site(link)Johannes Gunnar 4/6/05 4:07 p.m.
                             Re: I found and interesting site(link)Lt Devon 4/6/05 7:10 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.