/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Deja Vu All Over Again
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 12/27/07 3:46 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Deja Vu All Over Again (Document)

: Update: I'm now keeping my list of questions/comments at
: http://webpages.ursinus.edu/annagy/exfc.txt instead of here.

I'm going to keep replying here, if you don't mind, since there's no more suitable forum for such:

: == Level 2 weapons and monsters:
: * Was it always possible to hear Fighters' activation sounds before they beamed in?

I haven't changed anything in that regard, so yes I imagine it was.

: * Do the purple Fighters have to have projectile staffs?

They weren't supposed to and I'm not sure how they wound up with them, but I've already fixed that.

: * Am I getting a faster firing rate with the staff than non-berzerk Fighters did in the OT?

Yes, and your melee hits do more damage too, because the fire rate of the staff (and how much it hurts to get hit by it) depends entirely on how fast and hard you swing it, and you are much more badass than a lowly Fighter.

: * The scatter rifle still seems to be much smaller than the M1A1 one, although I haven't taken
: screenshot to compare.

I'll check on that.

: * The M1-Enforcers' close range attack is weird; it does red damage and has the sound of a punch or
: a staff.
: ** And it even works underwater!

It is a punch, or rather a bludgeon with their weapon. Most aliens can punch/bludgeon you at close range now. This was Rueben's idea, and I think it came up because of enemies being harmless under water. What do you think of it?

: * I haven't confimed yet whether it's possible to retrieve the weapon from an M1-Enforcer who was
: killed by Bob bullets.

You should be able to. No reason why you shouldn't. Although when that Enforcer on Deja Vu gets shot while on the elevator, his weapon seems to disappear, but I think that's an engine bug to do more with the elevator than with Bob shots.

: * Personally I find the added "near miss" sound effect for the scatter rifle more distracting than
: anything.

I've changed it recently to something I find a little better. All bullets have near-miss sounds now; do you dislike them elsewhere too?

: * Purple S'pht firing fast non-tracking shots is non-canonical, but I'll assume it's intentional.

It was but I've changed it back already anyway.

: * The player's Pfhor staff creates the same impact sprite regardless of whether it's being used for a
: melee or projectile attack.

Is that a bad thing? I figure the Pfhor staff melee isn't just doing pure kinetic damage but also does some kind of electric shock thing on impact, hence the zappy impact effect.

: * The scatter rifle's shots draw blood.

Already fixed.

: == Level 3 weapons and monsters:
: * Trying to fire staff projectiles while underwater still costs ammo, although I guess that makes a kind
: of sense.
: ** It also still shows an impact sprite if it hits a wall under the water, and when the wall is near the
: surface of the water (at least I think that's when it happens), it makes a splash on the wall. I guess
: that last part's probably an engine bug.

Yeah, I can't make only one trigger fire underwater and the other not, so in order to melee under water the ranged has to fire too... but Pfhor shots don't penetrate water. So, it's just kind of a glitch we'll have to live with.

: * Should Wasps really be able to swim, let alone fire while underwater?

Wasps should treat water the same way as Ticks and Drones do, according to the physics... and their shots aren't set to penetrate liquids. Maybe this is something I've already changed, if you're seeing them fire underwater.

: * Killed Wasps seem to flap and squawk around unusually long before they finally stop moving. Maybe
: it's just the momentum they get from the staff, but it seems to happen even in the middle of a floor.

Hmm... well, I did make their death animations a little noisier than they used to be, but they shouldn't die any slower. I think it is just the momentum they get from the staff.

: == Deja Vu:
: * Did the Pfhor canonically use teleporters to board Marathon, or is that a gameplay thing?

Nowhere says they didn't AFAIK, and it seems to make the most sense to me. They Pfhor have point to point teleporters, why not use them?

: * There's some kind of invisible obstacle around the west border of polygon 639. As far as I can tell,
: either it's one-way or it appears right after you walk over the spot.

That's a sticky polygon bug, fixed already.

: * Why do polygons 637, 640 and 642 need to exist, given that they're sealed off invisible (unless you
: use AO's chase cam)? Were they supposed to be visible? Was it an engine bugginess thing?
: ** Same question for polygons 937 and 939 on Pfhoryngitis.

That's called the "split polygon technique" and is used to break up a wall into three sections that can be individually textured, for more interesting wall varieties. The textures you see in those hallways are actually made out of three separate textures; one on the top ledge, one on the bottom ledge, and one on the opaque "windows" between the hall and those polygons you references.

: * I still think drop-offs so steep that you can't shoot the enemies at the bottom, even though they
: can shoot you, are wack. (I'm referring to polygons 495 through 498 here.)

I'll just MIP that little ditch off so there won't be any Pfhor down there.

: * The light on the switch at polygon 853 should probably turn off when the elevator it controls
: reaches a stop. As it is, you have to hit it to activate it, then hit it again to deactivate it before you can
: activate it again.

Done.

: * I guess the green panel by polygon 186 doesn't do anything? It looks like it *should* be a switch or
: door, which bugs me.

I think it used to be a recharger... not sure why it's not now. I've just made it into a pattern buffer.

: * The room containing polygons 951-959 doesn't seem to have a purpose, and it's annoying to drop down there by accident/mistake and have to wait for the elevator.

That is a pretty strange room... not sure why it's there. Apparently some Fighters live down there, according to Forge. Guess it's there so that there's somewhere for those Fighters to come from?

: == Pfhoryngitis:
: * Are the improbable differences in water speeds between adjacent polygons 610 and 603 and
: between 579 and 589 intentional or/and necessary?

That is odd. Fixed.

: * The current in polygon 806 isn't parallel to the direction of the polygon, if that makes sense.

Fixed.

: * Underwater waterfalls? I suppose it would take some complex platform work to avoid that, but it's
: still weird.

Yeah, waterfalls into deep water have always been tricky, and you get some weird stuff like this because of it.

: * I realize it's not your fault, but it's interesting how monsters can walk through a liquid regardless of
: how strong the current is.

Really? I'd never noticed that before...

Thanks Doc :-)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal X Final CandidateForrest of B.org 12/12/07 10:27 p.m.
     Re: Eternal X Final CandidateForrest of B.org 12/13/07 12:28 a.m.
     Re: Eternal X Final Candidatetwiztedambience 12/13/07 8:21 a.m.
           Re: Eternal X Final CandidateNameless 12/15/07 4:13 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Final CandidateForrest of B.org 12/17/07 11:34 a.m.
     Re: chapter 1 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/16/07 12:15 a.m.
           Re: chapter 2 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/16/07 9:00 p.m.
                 Re: chapter 3 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/20/07 4:42 a.m.
                       Re: chapter 3 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/20/07 5:43 a.m.
                             Re: chapter 3 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/20/07 6:08 a.m.
                                   Re: chapter 3 terminal needing editingForrest of B.org 12/20/07 11:08 a.m.
                                         The latter.patrick 12/20/07 2:39 p.m.
                                               Re: The latter.patrick 12/20/07 2:50 p.m.
                                   Re: chapter 4 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/22/07 10:09 p.m.
                                         Re: chapter 4 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/22/07 10:38 p.m.
                                               Re: chapter 4 terminal needing editingForrest of B.org 12/22/07 10:51 p.m.
                                               Re: chapter 4 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/23/07 12:18 a.m.
                                                     Re: chapter 4 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/23/07 12:44 a.m.
                                                           Re: chapter 4 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/23/07 3:06 a.m.
                                                     Re: chapter 4 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/23/07 4:05 a.m.
                                                           Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/23/07 7:40 a.m.
                                                                 Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/23/07 8:36 a.m.
                                                                       Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/23/07 10:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/23/07 12:13 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/24/07 1:51 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/24/07 5:20 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/24/07 6:12 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/24/07 7:08 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: epilogue terminal needing editing [final post]patrick 12/24/07 7:40 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: epilogue terminal needing editing [final post]Forrest of B.org 12/25/07 3:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: epilogue terminal needing editing [final post]patrick 12/27/07 8:13 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingForrest of B.org 12/25/07 2:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/27/07 7:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingForrest of B.org 12/27/07 12:55 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingForrest of B.org 12/25/07 2:48 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/27/07 7:31 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingForrest of B.org 12/25/07 2:59 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: chapter 5 terminal needing editingpatrick 12/27/07 8:08 a.m.
                                                           Re: chapter 4 terminal needing editingForrest of B.org 12/25/07 2:28 p.m.
     Hitting MOAHs for sixpatrick 12/16/07 12:47 a.m.
           Re: Heart of Fusionpatrick 12/16/07 2:38 p.m.
                 Re: Heart of FusionForrest of B.org 12/17/07 11:36 a.m.
                       Re: Heart of Fusion (user error after all)patrick 12/18/07 12:02 a.m.
                             Re: Heart of Fusion (user error after all)patrick 12/18/07 1:21 a.m.
                                   Re: Heart of Fusion (user error after all)treellama 12/18/07 3:04 a.m.
                                         Re: Heart of Fusion (user error after all)patrick 12/18/07 4:33 a.m.
                                               Re: Heart of Fusion (user error after all)treellama 12/18/07 6:06 a.m.
     Criticism begins.Document 12/16/07 11:47 a.m.
           Re: Criticism begins.Document 12/16/07 12:40 p.m.
                 Re: Criticism begins.Forrest of B.org 12/17/07 11:24 a.m.
           Re: Criticism begins.Forrest of B.org 12/17/07 11:22 a.m.
     Re: Eternal X Final CandidateBlake37 12/16/07 1:24 p.m.
           Re: Eternal X Final CandidateForrest of B.org 12/17/07 11:32 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Final CandidateBlake37 12/17/07 11:39 a.m.
     Deja Vu All Over AgainDocument 12/17/07 7:42 p.m.
           Re: Deja Vu All Over Againkyjel 12/17/07 8:13 p.m.
                 Re: Deja Vu All Over AgainForrest of B.org 12/17/07 9:34 p.m.
                       Re: Deja Vu All Over Againkyjel 12/18/07 8:25 a.m.
           Re: Deja Vu All Over AgainDocument 12/27/07 2:20 p.m.
                 Re: Deja Vu All Over AgainForrest of B.org 12/27/07 3:46 p.m.
                       Re: Deja Vu All Over AgainDocument 12/27/07 6:52 p.m.
                       Re: Deja Vu All Over AgainDocument 12/27/07 8:28 p.m.
     Re: Eternal X Final CandidateDav Flamerock 12/18/07 8:52 p.m.
           Re: Eternal X Final CandidateForrest of B.org 12/18/07 11:29 p.m.
                 Eternal Story AnalysisDav Flamerock 12/19/07 2:05 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Story AnalysisForrest of B.org 12/19/07 3:32 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Story AnalysisForrest of B.org 12/19/07 3:41 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal Story AnalysisDav Flamerock 12/19/07 5:55 p.m.
                                   Re: Eternal Story AnalysisForrest of B.org 12/20/07 12:27 a.m.
     Pissing On The Corporationpatrick 12/20/07 5:07 a.m.
           Re: Two instances of questionable behavior in ch4patrick 12/23/07 3:39 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.