/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

The Terminal: Reimagined
Posted By: Captain BobDate: 11/6/07 5:37 p.m.

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share my latest animation project with you guys. I wanted to create a proof of concept for how one might do a new Marathon-like game, where the story is presented textually, and bring it up to modern standards.

I took the text of the first terminal in Blaspheme Quarantine, made a voice recording of the text, and then modeled and animated a talking Durandal head to the voice. My reference was what is, to my knowledge, the only canon rendition of an A.I. in Marathon, which is the green figure in the Durandal chapter screen. I did a lot of post-production to make the terminal look like it was presented on a damaged, poor-quality video screen. There's also a part where the video cuts out: this was my interpretation of the part of the terminal that was garbled and un-readable.

What I envision is running around in a modern game, complete with terminals which, instead of displaying text, play movies directly on the surface of the terminal screen. In particular, I would point to Doom 3 for how this all would look and feel, as that game has the dark, claustrophobic, inside-a-spaceship environment and a lot of full-motion video textured onto surfaces.

Without further ado, here it is. The high quality version looks much better than the lower quality, so please view the former if you can.

large version (19.5 MB): http://bob.chamotlabs.com/3DArt/characters/Durandal-final-large.mov
small version (3.8 MB): http://bob.chamotlabs.com/3DArt/characters/Durandal-final-small.mov

Programs used: iChat (for collecting video reference), Audio In, Maya, Photoshop, Sound Studio, iMovie (with 3rd party effects), QuickTime Pro

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Terminal: ReimaginedCaptain Bob 11/6/07 5:37 p.m.
     this is great! more please! *NM*Nicholai 11/6/07 7:55 p.m.
     Re: The Terminal: ReimaginedForrest of B.org 11/6/07 8:01 p.m.
           Re: The Terminal: ReimaginedFresnel 11/7/07 12:23 a.m.
                 Re: The Terminal: ReimaginedFresnel 11/7/07 12:26 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.