/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: youse read the new Halo 3 terminals?
Posted By: DruffDate: 10/15/07 2:37 p.m.

In Response To: Re: youse read the new Halo 3 terminals? (Andrew------WebKitFormBoundaryJ+HlLDShbX46pbI9)

I posted this a couple of weeks ago:

http://forums.bungie.org/story/?read=54709

I just feel like I have to say this in here. I feel like the Marathon community should know. Sorry if it annoys anyone, I know Halo isn't generally looked upon a good topic to discuss in here... but this might be an exception.

Marathon is what made me a Bungie fan back in early 1995. There wasn't much of a community back then, at least none that I was aware of. I had a Mac at work, and a co-worker installed Marathon for me and a few other folks who had Macs. We invested in some serial numbers so we could kill each other every night over the LAN, but I was one of the few who got swept away in the single player game. In all my years of gaming, I'd never seen anything like the writing in the terminals. I thought it was genius. So rich, so much depth, so many layers. You know what I'm talking about.

The only reason I was ever interested in Halo was because of Marathon. While I was initially disappointed when I realized that Halo was not going to offer anything even remotely deep or satisfying as Marathon in terms of story, hey, that was OK. In my opinion, Halo's combat gameplay and level design left Marathon's far behind, so it was sort of an even trade. Marathon had more brains, Halo had more brawn. I was able to accept that.

OK, now I'll get to the point. Last night, I finally succeeded in finding all of the terminals in Halo 3. I had assumed they were just going to be a fluffy bit of fan service and not add anything substantial. But after reading all of them and mulling them over and putting the pieces together, I have to say, it really added a lot to the story. To the whole trilogy, to the whole concept in general. Obviously throwing a few teriminals into the final game in the trilogy doesn't suddenly put it on the same level as Marathon. But it really does put the whole thing in a new light. Very cool revelations.

*spoilers*

Turns out the whole friggin' thing can be traced back to a 100,000 year old rampant A.I. that betrayed the Forerunner during their original war against the Flood. It was this A.I. that planted the seed ideas in the race that eventually became the Prophets that led to their religion whereby "the gods" demanded that humanity be destroyed, and formed the Covenant to achieve that.

The Forerunners were not the first, and they didn't create the Halos. They inherited them from... the Precursors?!?! Nice to finally understand what the Hell Cortana was talking about when she mentioned that some of the structures on Halo were newer, built on top of older ones. Anyway, the Precursors bequeathed the Halo array and the "Mantle" of galaxy guardianship to the Forerunner, and the Forerunner bequeathed them to humanity. Were they also bequeathed to the Precursors? Is the galaxy old enough for that?

As a Marathon fan of almost 13 years who has always enjoyed Halo, I just wanted to share with you guys.

: yes if Bungie go ahead now and do a Marathon remake, it's hard to imagine
: them getting away with using terminals

: however, terminals could certainly be used to augment the storytelling, with
: the main story events handled by cutscenes (all the halo cutscenes ever
: did anyway was show the obvious events... and left tons of details
: unexplained. you had to read the books if you wanted actual depth, or in
: halo 3, the terminals)

: casual gamers could skip the terminals if they wanted

: consider though, one of the most popular series of recent time - Metroid
: Prime - contained loads of text (though there was zero flair in the
: writing)

: i think the main problem would be how could you give someone like Durandal a
: voice... wouldn't that sort of spoil it somewhat.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

youse read the new Halo 3 terminals?Andrew------WebKitFormBoundaryJ+HlLDShbX46pbI9 10/15/07 10:43 a.m.
     Re: youse read the new Halo 3 terminals?Nicholai 10/15/07 11:11 a.m.
           Re: youse read the new Halo 3 terminals?Andrew------WebKitFormBoundaryJ+HlLDShbX46pbI9 10/15/07 11:17 a.m.
                 Re: youse read the new Halo 3 terminals?Druff 10/15/07 2:37 p.m.
                       Re: youse read the new Halo 3 terminals?Andrew------WebKitFormBoundaryJ+HlLDShbX46pbI9 10/15/07 2:49 p.m.
                             Re: youse read the new Halo 3 terminals?Druff 10/16/07 3:59 p.m.
                                   Re: youse read the new Halo 3 terminals?Andrew------WebKitFormBoundaryJ+HlLDShbX46pbI9 10/17/07 3:15 p.m.
                                         Re: youse read the new Halo 3 terminals?Forrest of B.org 10/17/07 3:59 p.m.
     Re: youse read the new Halo 3 terminals?Skeletor 10/19/07 9:54 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.