/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: hey claude
Posted By: the Battle CatDate: 8/8/07 1:28 p.m.

In Response To: Re: hey claude (Claude Errera)

: Not a thing. :(

: I've been on vacation for a week, so I didn't even know it was down until
: today - I haven't found a free minute to send a note to ask. But thanks
: for the reminder. I'll do that now.

Claude got in touch with me today and I promised him I'd write up an official announcement concerning Fileball. As you may have suspected, Fileball is having some serious problems. It has not been hacked however as has been suggested, it was a server meltdown, though it might turn out to be a fatal one.

Fileball.net was just one of the many systems on the server and it was a drain on the resources at hand while providing no reimbursement to the server owners and operators, so it is taking a back seat to the other systems and it is not a priority to the owners to restore it.

All of the archives are safe on another server. The database was unaffected by the problems and in fact were backed up a day prior to going down. Most of the web pages and files exist here and there on various machines as bits and pieces but because it was never fully backed up all uploaded images and avatars were lost.

In Frigidman's eyes Fileball was an aging beast like an old old blind dog in pain that stinks and craps itself, one that needed to be put down humanely someday anyway and this server failure is a good enough excuse for him to take this opportunity to do that if he so wishes. It will take a lot of time to get Fileball working again, it needs to be set up from the ground up and tested with a new operating system.

In Frigidman's own words:

"Worst comes to worse, I can post all the files in a ftp-only type format for a limited time so those who wish can download what they want (or all of it). However the posting of new files won't happen.

Sorry about this. It just isnt a top priority right now, as all the paying customer sites, and services on the server are first and foremost."

As the public relations blowhole for Fileball and the Marathon admin, as well as a user, and contributer this is at least as big a loss for me as it is for you. You had to know that this was costing Frigidman money and it was a very long and luxurious free ride while it lasted. I'm going to hate to see it go, it is the most complete archive of Marathon files on planet Earth. Perhaps this amazing thing we've all taken for granted can be saved, but it's probably not going to be like it was and personally I think only a public outcry on a massive scale will turn this around. So I guess it is up to you the public.

reveroF nohtaraM

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat
Fileball PR Ho and UESC Retirement Home Porch Monkey

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

hey claudescreamingfool 8/7/07 3:42 p.m.
     Re: hey claudeClaude Errera 8/7/07 8:48 p.m.
           Re: hey claudethe Battle Cat 8/8/07 1:28 p.m.
                 Re: hey claudetreellama 8/8/07 2:04 p.m.
                       Re: hey claudethe Battle Cat 8/10/07 4:28 a.m.
                             Re: hey claudetreellama 8/10/07 5:04 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.