/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The aftermath
Posted By: RyokoTKDate: 8/2/07 4:45 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The aftermath (patrick)

: For what it's worth, it would be disappointing to me if Beyond never
: manifests.

: TGI's gameplay was topnotch--the level design (devoid of annoyances, the
: just-right balance between combat and exploration) and difficulty level
: were, with few exceptions, impeccable--and this was pretty much what your
: design goals were in the first place, right?

That was the goal -- bullshit-free gameplay. And it still is. I don't like to do things when there's a lot of drama or hype floating around, because it ends up getting to the creator's head (as seen here, unfortunately), and warps the final product by some kind of twisted perception (I could go on a long tirade about story vs. gameplay conflicts, but it's the wrong time for that). That's why I'm going to let it lie for a while.

: The art assets are secondary, and, given that the owners of the material are
: fine with their continued use now that everyone understands who had the
: rights to what (at least, this is my understanding as a bystander), there
: appears to be little to no real BS around future releases of your project.

The problem with it is mostly personal.

I've always perceived TGI as my scenario. I mean, I realize that other people have had their hand in it, but they made it (or so I thought) for me, and so I still had a proprietary feeling about it. The fact that now I'm using stuff that was never intended for me makes me feel like my integrity as a project director is sort of stripped away, even if I'm not directly at fault for it.

If I had my way, and unlimited time, inspiration, and high spirits, I'd start all over with the artwork. I'd find someone else to make a new batch of textures, finish up the new weapons, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have that time and I just don't want to do that much work, so now I have to work with borrowed goods.

: It would be a shame if the previous debacle hampered any further what I'd
: imagined as the [hype-machine]imminent release of the definitive statement
: of compelling SP-marathon gameplay.[/hype-machine]

Heh. It was never imminent. My inspiration burned out over a month ago, and I've been kind of sitting on it as it is.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Simon Dupuis: Thanks for giving me stolen art!RyokoTK 8/1/07 10:41 a.m.
     !!! *NM*ukimalefu 8/1/07 1:05 p.m.
     Love is all around *NM*D-M.A. 8/1/07 1:14 p.m.
           Re: Love is all aroundFullDiaper 8/1/07 2:03 p.m.
                 Re: Love is all aroundRyokoTK 8/1/07 2:17 p.m.
                       By the wayRyokoTK 8/1/07 2:19 p.m.
                       Re: Love is all aroundTycho 8/1/07 3:52 p.m.
                             Re: Love is all aroundRyokoTK 8/1/07 5:11 p.m.
                                   Re: Love is all aroundTycho 8/1/07 6:03 p.m.
                                         Re: Love is all aroundRyokoTK 8/1/07 6:13 p.m.
                                               Re: Love is all aroundTycho 8/1/07 6:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: Love is all aroundRyokoTK 8/1/07 6:37 p.m.
                                                           nobody thinks you're a jerk, ryokoBobwithkeycard 8/2/07 2:41 a.m.
                       Re: Love is all aroundD-M.A. 8/2/07 12:25 a.m.
                             Re: Love is all aroundFullDiaper 8/2/07 3:38 a.m.
                                   The aftermathRyokoTK 8/2/07 9:18 a.m.
                                         Re: The aftermathpatrick 8/2/07 1:03 p.m.
                                               Re: The aftermathKyjel 8/2/07 4:36 p.m.
                                                     Re: The aftermathRyokoTK 8/2/07 4:39 p.m.
                                               Re: The aftermathRyokoTK 8/2/07 4:45 p.m.
                             Re: Love is all aroundtreellama 8/2/07 3:58 a.m.
                                   Re: Love is all aroundD-M.A. 8/2/07 4:17 a.m.
                                         Re: Love is all aroundJohannes Gunnar 8/2/07 5:29 a.m.
                                         Re: Love is all aroundtreellama 8/2/07 6:52 a.m.
                                               Re: Love is all aroundD-M.A. 8/2/07 10:10 a.m.
                                               Re: Love is all aroundKyjel 8/2/07 4:38 p.m.
                                         Re: Love is all aroundRyokoTK 8/2/07 9:09 a.m.
                             Re: Love is all aroundKyjel 8/2/07 7:50 a.m.
                             Re: Love is all aroundRyokoTK 8/2/07 9:13 a.m.
                 :/ *NM*Johannes Gunnar 8/1/07 2:32 p.m.
                 Re: Love is all aroundTodd Proctor 8/1/07 4:34 p.m.
     Re: Simon Dupuis: Thanks for giving me stolen art!Document 8/1/07 3:58 p.m.
           Re: Simon Dupuis: Thanks for giving me stolen art!RyokoTK 8/1/07 5:13 p.m.
                 I've made some textures, who wants to use them?ukimalefu 8/1/07 6:46 p.m.
                       Re: I've made some textures, who wants to use themRyokoTK 8/1/07 7:02 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.