/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Finished the last chapter
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 7/10/07 3:10 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Finished the last chapter (Blake37)

: Hmm, maybe some maps in the terms would help, like, not give too much away,
: but have a picture of a key area or two and a line that says something
: about possible malfuntions, just to make it more clear. It could be that
: my readiong comprehension is low =)

That's a good idea, the Watcher should mention the possible malfunctions before sending you there, and can show you a pic of the main door. In fact, it'd probably be a good idea to put a terminal outside that main door explaining that it's damaged due to flooding and you'll have to find another way in...

: I guesse it's like the sprite is missing. There isn't any hint of a
: projectile untill you get hit. It took me a while to figure out what was
: going on.

Hmm will definitely have to investigate that. Have you replayed those levels and seen the same thing again? Has anybody else seen this?

: The biggest problem is the number of headless. They can completly fill those
: small hallways with projectiles, and each one is pretty damaging. And
: since some of those halls are both long and narrow, you've got no place to
: dodge. It is cool when you can wade through them, the blades definitly
: rock, but it's when you can't that it gets ugly. The biggest problem I
: think is the lack of safe ground. It really helps (me anyway) to have a
: place to sit and look at the map and think. The exploding nightmares arn't
: much of a problem as far as killing you goes, but they can be really
: confusing cuz they'll throw you around into other ouchie things and blind
: you and stuff. It can add to the experiance, but it can also get you
: killed fast. Maybe if they didn;t all explode. Also, killing hunters with
: the blades is a pain, cuz they'll explode, with far more hurty than the
: nightmares.

It sounds like the Wave Motion Cannon would be very handy for those situations... except that if any of the enemies gets too close to you, or you accidentally hit a nearby wall, you die instantly. Maybe I should make the Wave Motion Cannon and Gravitronic Blades do a different kind of damage, and make the player immune to that. It would make the Wave Motion Cannon kick much more ass, if you could use it in big crowds.

I've also been contemplating changing the look of the shot too; I'm thinking, invisible projectile, but have the impact look like Evil's nuke explosion (and since it's a persistent and virulent projectile, you get lots of impacts in big crowds). So it's like you're shooting an invisible wave which collides violently with everything in it's path.

: Well, the warning depends on how you want to inturprent the game. Does the
: charactor know that he's flooding the place, or is he running around
: randomly hitting switchs and seeing what happens? Having no warning makes
: you think real fast, but having a warning seems more realistic.

Marcus has been sent in with no specific instructions; he's improvising a way to blow up the ship. I imagine in-character he's thought "ah I've got to get up to the control deck, unlock the engineering core and block up the coolant drainage systems" or whatever, but as players you pretty much wing it. The ending is supposed to be an oh shit panic moment as the whole ship just starts exploding much more quickly than planned.

: I somehow missed reading any terminal in deep into the grotto. I read hathors
: message, but when I smashed the thing, I crossed where the force feild
: was, than rembered the terminal, but the feild was still there! I'm
: thinking now I got to the circuts via a bug, so there's that to look into.

The only terminal is Hathor's message, and the Watcher's message on that same terminal. I noticed that force-field bug a few times but haven't figured out under what conditions you can pass through and under which you can't. There's actually six liquid forcefields, one of each of which is lowered when you deactivate a data core, so you shouldn't be able to get to the wires or terminal until they're all off... but somehow, sometimes, you can. I'm at a bit of a loss here as to why, though.

: I jumped out of both points and walked from the door, returning each time,
: just to kill everything that might get in my way in the first half of the
: level. If you couldent jump out from near the elevator, you might not know
: about it. Personally, I really like having a few different ways to aproach
: the beginning, but being forced to walk wouldnt be bad, it'd just be
: different.

I think maybe I'll just put walls on the elevator. The level just feels really short and kind of weird when you can leap across a big section right into the middle of a combat zone and then just keep running. If you had to take the elevator down (due to it having walls), I think that would fit the mood much better: come into the combat head on, instead of just dropping out of the sky.

I'm also thinking of putting a lot more monsters in here, especially if I get the Wave Motion Cannon working better. This level is meant to be a big climactic battle to end all battles, with major carnage everywhere, two huge armies duking it out, and Marcus plowing through them all with Jjaro weaponry. But it just doesn't feel that way to me. What do you think? Take it up to 11, or too hard as it is?

Also, I'd like to add some monster (sparse) to Where Giants Have Fallen, since that seems a bit more realistic (the Pfhor should have been working their way up the mountain ahead of you, since they were backed up against there by the Enemy). But since that level's a bunch of delicate climbs and jumps, I'm not sure how good of an idea that is. Maybe just have them milling around the opening area? Put a Juggernaut or two in the sky, shooting at Nightmares? What if I make them ignore the player and just fight each other?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal X Alpha 5Forrest of B.org 7/6/07 9:48 p.m.
     Re: Eternal X Alpha 5Blake37 7/7/07 2:41 p.m.
           Re: Eternal X Alpha 5Adam Ashwell 7/7/07 3:39 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Alpha 5Forrest of B.org 7/7/07 4:20 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal X Alpha 5Adam Ashwell 7/7/07 4:38 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal X Alpha 5Blake37 7/7/07 6:18 p.m.
     Also of note...Forrest of B.org 7/7/07 5:51 p.m.
     IMPORTANT - FATAL BUG, NEW UPLOADForrest of B.org 7/7/07 6:54 p.m.
     bug reportingBlake37 7/8/07 9:21 a.m.
           Re: bug reportingForrest of B.org 7/8/07 12:35 p.m.
                 Re: bug reportingBlake37 7/9/07 7:31 a.m.
                       More testing resultsBlake37 7/9/07 3:16 p.m.
                             Re: More testing resultsAdam Ashwell 7/9/07 5:24 p.m.
                                   Re: More testing resultsBlake37 7/9/07 6:04 p.m.
                                         Re: More testing resultsForrest of B.org 7/9/07 10:36 p.m.
                                               Re: More testing resultsBlake37 7/10/07 3:43 a.m.
                                                     Re: More testing resultsForrest of B.org 7/10/07 12:14 p.m.
                                                           Re: More testing resultsBlake37 7/10/07 12:24 p.m.
                             Re: More testing resultsForrest of B.org 7/9/07 10:33 p.m.
                                   Re: More testing resultsBlake37 7/10/07 3:40 a.m.
                                         Re: More testing resultsForrest of B.org 7/10/07 12:43 p.m.
                                   Re: More testing resultsrampancy 3/9/08 11:43 a.m.
     Re: Eternal X Alpha 5D-M.A. 7/9/07 3:41 a.m.
           Re: Eternal X Alpha 5Forrest of B.org 7/9/07 10:26 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Alpha 5D-M.A. 7/13/07 6:06 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal X Alpha 5treellama 7/13/07 8:28 a.m.
     D:. As much as I want to play...Funkmon 7/9/07 8:15 p.m.
     Finished the last chapterBlake37 7/10/07 10:55 a.m.
           Re: Finished the last chapterBlake37 7/10/07 12:17 p.m.
                 Re: Finished the last chapterForrest of B.org 7/10/07 1:10 p.m.
                       Re: Finished the last chapterBlake37 7/10/07 1:50 p.m.
                             Re: Finished the last chapterForrest of B.org 7/10/07 6:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Finished the last chapterBlake37 7/10/07 6:29 p.m.
                                         Re: Finished the last chapterForrest of B.org 7/10/07 6:31 p.m.
                                               Re: Finished the last chapterBlake37 7/10/07 6:40 p.m.
                                                     Re: Finished the last chapterBlake37 7/11/07 12:06 p.m.
                                                           Re: Finished the last chapterForrest of B.org 7/11/07 6:02 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Finished the last chapterscreamingfool 7/12/07 10:39 a.m.
           Re: Finished the last chapterForrest of B.org 7/10/07 1:05 p.m.
                 Re: Finished the last chapterBlake37 7/10/07 2:11 p.m.
                       Re: Finished the last chapterForrest of B.org 7/10/07 3:10 p.m.
                             Re: Finished the last chapterBlake37 7/10/07 4:45 p.m.
                                   Re: Finished the last chapterForrest of B.org 7/11/07 12:04 p.m.
                                         Re: Finished the last chapterBlake37 7/11/07 12:10 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.