/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Porposal for a Marathon Tournament scoring protoco
Posted By: Peter Bjørn PerlsøDate: 6/17/07 6:58 p.m.

Hello marines,

since I'm hosting a MaraMeet (Summer '07) in the coming weekend, we need to polish up a scoring protocol for the Marathon rounds we play. (Why, apart from a formalized system to bestow honour upon the true killers? Well, because when I have these Marathon Torunaments, i offer prizes for the winners...).

Last time, in December '06, we had two proposed protocols for scoring:

A:

Only the top three scorers for each game gets points. #1 gets 3, #2 gets 2, #3 gets 1, and all others get 0. Places for each game is decided from kills with deaths subtracted, and if there is a tie, the number of kills decide who takes the lead. If there is still a tie, numbers of suicides decide who does not take the lead. If there is still a tie, the two tied players will settle it with a quick fistfight...

B:

Points are awarded to all participating playiers in a round, according to result; if there are 5 players, the top player gets 5 pts, the next 4... and so on down to 1. If there are 8 players, the top gets 8 pts. and so on down to 1.

I have not figured out a way to handle tournaments with more than 8 players participating (because it has been years since I had that many people participating simultaneously! Oh, those were the days...), but the way we played back in the ol' days were that when we were more than 8 players, a random collection of people would play the first round, and the best players would then get kicked out for the next round. (So if we were 10 players in total, the best 2 from round #1 gets kicked out of round #2 to make space for the rest. And so on).

Of course, such a cycling arrangement requires that more rounds be played for everybody to get a fair chance at grabbing points.

Note: the cycling protocol for >8 players might make scoring protocol A unfair, because good players would get kicked out of the game all the time; I am unsure if the fact that they would score before getting kicked would compensate for this.

So - which scoring protocol do you guys prefer? (I think we used protocol A in December.)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Porposal for a Marathon Tournament scoring protocoPeter Bjørn Perlsø 6/17/07 6:58 p.m.
     Re: Porposal for a Marathon Tournament scoring proukimalefu 6/18/07 5:23 p.m.
           Re: Porposal for a Marathon Tournament scoring proPeter Bjørn Perlsø 6/18/07 6:41 p.m.
           Re: Porposal for a Marathon Tournament scoring protreellama 6/19/07 2:55 a.m.
                 Re: Porposal for a Marathon Tournament scoring proukimalefu 6/20/07 3:06 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.