/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Sounds Crappy
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 3/30/07 4:27 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Sounds Crappy (treellama)

: Sounds like it's specific to his machine. Maybe DMA is disabled? Dunno...

I was more wondering about the theory behind audio playback and how such a thing would be even possible. It seems sort analogous to pausing a movie on one shot and still seeing the leaves on trees blow in the background, or traffic drive by; the significant action has stopped, but it's not really *stopped* completely. (Kind of like how lightening and water animations keep going in Myth, even when you've paused the game; I always though that "paused lightening" effect was awesome). Likewise, it seems (by my understanding of how digital audio works) like what I saw shouldn't be possible; if it keeps playing, it should keep playing, and if it stops, it should stop. How the hell does it stop playing in the sense of no more notes are being hit, without stopping in the sense that it's still making appropriate sounds from the last note? If it stops playing, shouldn't there be silence?

I don't know if you know the answer to this, and I'm not saying "hey look, a bug in Aleph, fix it". I'm more just wondering aloud "wtf how can that happen?".

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/28/07 7:51 p.m.
     Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 2:51 a.m.
           Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 8:25 a.m.
                 Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 10:05 a.m.
                       Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 10:29 a.m.
                             Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 10:49 a.m.
                                   Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 3:21 p.m.
                                         Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 3:30 p.m.
                                               Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 9:12 p.m.
                                                     Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 3:02 a.m.
                                                           Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/30/07 10:34 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 11:57 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/30/07 2:47 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 3:18 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/30/07 4:27 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 5:08 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Sounds Crappykyjel 3/30/07 10:57 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.