/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Sounds Crappy
Posted By: treellamaDate: 3/30/07 11:57 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Sounds Crappy (Forrest of B.org)

: So what exactly does this number do? I had figured it was a cache of some
: sort... but then wouldn't less make it slower?

It adjusts the number of samples in the SDL audio buffer. Higher means a larger buffer, which is (should be) able to buffer out drop-outs due to crappy audio hardware or CPU or I/O contention, at the cost of a larger delay between the game action that causes the sound, and your hearing it.

It used to be hard coded at (adjusted) 512 for Macs and 1024 for Windows (many Windows PCs have simply awful built-in sound hardware). I guess I need to continue to make the defaults platform specific. I would never have guessed that having the buffer too *large* would cause stuttering!

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/28/07 7:51 p.m.
     Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 2:51 a.m.
           Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 8:25 a.m.
                 Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 10:05 a.m.
                       Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 10:29 a.m.
                             Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 10:49 a.m.
                                   Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 3:21 p.m.
                                         Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 3:30 p.m.
                                               Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 9:12 p.m.
                                                     Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 3:02 a.m.
                                                           Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/30/07 10:34 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 11:57 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/30/07 2:47 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 3:18 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/30/07 4:27 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 5:08 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Sounds Crappykyjel 3/30/07 10:57 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.