/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Sounds Crappy
Posted By: treellamaDate: 3/29/07 10:05 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Sounds Crappy (Forrest of B.org)

: Ok. All my sounds are 8-bit to start with, so I was originally planning to do
: that anyway.

That works too. No need to map 8-bit to 16-bit any more either, FWIW.

: I'm not using the preview build because of the audio-stuttering problem I
: mentioned before.

Changing the sample buffer size had no effect? It won't be fixed in future builds if we don't figure out what's wrong, and so far you're the only one with the problem.

: What is a 2's complement 8-bit sound?

Samples are stored as signed 2's complement bytes (-128 to 127) instead of unsigned bytes (0-255). A sound played back with the wrong signedness will sound way too loud and distorted.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/28/07 7:51 p.m.
     Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 2:51 a.m.
           Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 8:25 a.m.
                 Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 10:05 a.m.
                       Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 10:29 a.m.
                             Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 10:49 a.m.
                                   Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 3:21 p.m.
                                         Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/29/07 3:30 p.m.
                                               Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/29/07 9:12 p.m.
                                                     Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 3:02 a.m.
                                                           Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/30/07 10:34 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 11:57 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/30/07 2:47 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 3:18 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Sounds CrappyForrest of B.org 3/30/07 4:27 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Sounds Crappytreellama 3/30/07 5:08 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Sounds Crappykyjel 3/30/07 10:57 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.