/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Aleph One Preview Build
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 3/16/07 10:28 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Aleph One Preview Build (treellama)

: I wouldn't suggest they be used as an alternative to the sounds file unless
: it's absolutely necessary. What kinds of things can you fix with MML that
: can't be fixed by loading the right sound into Anvil? I ask also because
: there may be a new sound file editor coming.

There's nothing that's theoretically impossible to do via the sounds file, it's just that Anvil's a sucky pile of shit. Every time I try to edit the sound file to any significant degree (and sometimes even just to an insignificant degree), something winds up getting fucked up somewhere. Sounds will get distorted or staticky, others will disappear... often times it's not even sounds that I'm working on that will get distorted or disappear! When I was working on this last night, the sounds replacements I assigned for empty/unused sound slots weren't working, and I figured that was because the slots in the sounds file were empty; so I took a virgin Infinity sound file and just went through and inserted a little 10-byte sample of noise into each of the empty slots, and even THAT made a variety of sounds just up and disappear (go silent), and still didn't make my new sounds work right.

I've got a lot of sounds I need to add (and only three I've changed, the fusion sounds and the flamethrower/scatter sound): Headless Death, Screams, and Attack; Nightmare Attack and Flyby; Banshee Attack and Death; Hulk Attack and Death; Hunter Activate; Looker Activate, Chatter, and Death; and Tick Activate, Chatter, Death, and Flap. Without replacing any existing sounds. And that's just off the top of my head, I might have forgotten some. There's enough unused sound slots in the sounds file that this would theoretically work, even without MML replacement... but working with sounds is just a major bitch, and if I can avoid having to touch Anvil at all I'd really like to.

What's the drawback to using MML replacement sounds over sounds in the sounds file, anyway?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Aleph One Preview Buildtreellama 3/14/07 5:42 p.m.
     Re: Aleph One Preview Buildmitchellan 3/15/07 2:14 p.m.
     Re: Aleph One Preview BuildForrest of B.org 3/15/07 8:05 p.m.
           Re: Aleph One Preview Buildtreellama 3/16/07 2:48 a.m.
                 Re: Aleph One Preview BuildForrest of B.org 3/16/07 10:28 a.m.
                       Re: Aleph One Preview Buildtreellama 3/16/07 10:46 a.m.
                             Re: Aleph One Preview BuildForrest of B.org 3/16/07 1:00 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.