/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Apologies
Posted By: thermoplyaeDate: 2/10/07 5:09 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Apologies (rampancy)

: Is it too much effort on your part to make your engine F/OSS and have it
: easily portable? (As opposed to making everything Windows-dependent?) Why
: can't you use something like Crystal Space or DarkPlaces so that Windows,
: Mac, *and* Linux players can all join in on the fun?

Speaking as someone who's been porting a decade old engine from DOS to a platform independent state since last May, yes, it is a lot of work. Something new and more intertwined with the operating system (I was lucky enough to have an engine that tried to access the hardware directly) would be ridiculous.

Moreover, it's my opinion that gamers in the modern era have gotten a little out of control. That someone is taking such a massive amount of time (and, in this case, money!) and giving it freely to a consumer such as yourself is stunning. There are only so many Jonathan Tennants in the world -- and considerably fewer in the Marathon community.

I think above everything else, this is why I could never take a job as a game developer. Nevermind the massive failure rate or the soul sucking companies or the brutal hours, I couldn't stand to expend so much effort and time and intellect on something to have it chewed up and spit out by the unappreciative masses.

If you don't have a PC, sorry. I don't have one modern enough to run something stronger than Win98 (purchased for the express purpose of running the aforementioned DOS game). I played the original PiD, but I'm rational and mature enough to see this as the kind, creative gesture it is, not a slap in the face.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

An update on my PiD Remake project: Map EditorJonathan Tennant 2/10/07 12:09 a.m.
     Is it still PC-only? *NM*rampancy 2/10/07 9:50 a.m.
           Re: Is it still PC-only?Jonathan Tennant 2/10/07 10:42 a.m.
                 Re: Is it still PC-only?Forrest of B.org 2/10/07 11:39 a.m.
                       Re: Yeah, what Forrest said. *NM*ukimalefu 2/10/07 12:15 p.m.
                       ApologiesJonathan Tennant 2/10/07 12:36 p.m.
                             tread softlyMrHen 2/10/07 2:40 p.m.
                                   Re: tread softlyJonathan Tennant 2/10/07 3:19 p.m.
                                         Re: tread softlyJohn Denton 2/14/07 10:24 p.m.
                             Re: Apologiesrampancy 2/10/07 4:28 p.m.
                                   Re: Apologiesthermoplyae 2/10/07 5:09 p.m.
                                         Re: ApologiesJonathan Tennant 2/10/07 8:08 p.m.
                                               Re: Apologiesukimalefu 2/10/07 8:39 p.m.
                                                     Also BasiliskII *NM*Andrew Nagy 2/11/07 8:43 a.m.
                                               Re: Apologiesthermoplyae 2/10/07 8:39 p.m.
                                               Re: ApologiesForrest of B.org 2/11/07 4:03 p.m.
                                                     Re: ApologiesJonathan Tennant 2/11/07 5:30 p.m.
                                         I agree with thisMrHen 2/11/07 5:54 a.m.
                                               Re: I agree with thisJonathan Tennant 2/11/07 9:10 a.m.
                                               Re: I agree with thisthermoplyae 2/11/07 9:45 a.m.
                             Re: Apologiesrampancy 2/11/07 2:55 p.m.
                                   Re: ApologiesJonathan Tennant 2/11/07 5:34 p.m.
                 Re: Is it for PiD-only...? *LINK*Blayne 2/17/07 11:20 a.m.
                       Re: Is it for PiD-only...?Jonathan Tennant 2/17/07 1:23 p.m.
           You mean Windows-only *NM*treellama 2/10/07 1:01 p.m.
                 Sorry, I meant Windows-only *NM*rampancy 2/10/07 4:29 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.