/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: A little request: PiD Related
Posted By: Jonathan TennantDate: 2/1/07 10:31 p.m.

In Response To: Re: A little request: PiD Related (Forrest of B.org)

: Aw :-(

: Is what you're coding intricately tied to the Windows platform, or is it at
: least mostly agnostic code that someone else could port? Also, related
: question: you plan on keeping this new engine close-sourced or opening it
: up to the public? (Not that I can code my way out of Hello World, but just
: out of curiosity).

First, the current version of the language I use is in fact PC only...but I'm waiting for them to release the next which is Max OSX and Linux compatible as well. I've heard once they release it, the code porting will be fairly simple, so I may be able to release a Mac version later on. Since this engine will hopefully be used for commercial projects later, I probably will not be open sourcing it right from the start (however I will keep the source preserved for future release).

: Ah yeah, it was Doom 3, sorry.

Thought so. Not sure if they ever made much progress, I hear it mostly re-uses Doom 3 enemies...

: I have to say that I'm very impressed that you are paying somebody to help
: you with a freeware project. It's something I've often wished I could do.
: Do you plan to use this as a tech demo of your leet new engine and/or
: coding skills and eventually profit from this (indirectly), or are you
: just an avid fan with time and money to spend on your passion?

Well, you know, so many people would do it if they could...but most can't. Back in the day, I had no skills...I ended up with programming skills but no artwork skills. So, I'm coding the engine, and I was lucky enough to find someone who works for the kind of money I can offer that can do great 3D animation in the obscure format I need.

I do indeed plan on using this engine (or at least a very different version of it) for my own projects, as I'm trying to become an independent game developer. However, I realised that before I make my own game from scratch, I should test the waters by remaking an existing game, a task I'm sure I can complete. So, the best way to look at this is as if it's a "mod" for an engine that is intended for another game. But in this case, the mod is coming out with that game engine before that game is released...

I would say I am a very avid fan, since the first time I saw big bro playing the Marathon demo on my moms computer back when I was only 11 or so...I spent the next decade on and off playing Marathon, Marathon 2, Marathon Infinity, and of course, Pathways into Darkness. I consider PiD, M1, and M2 to be the best games Bungie ever made, and am sorely dissapointed they never made the fabled Marathon 3 (I don't consider Infinity to be it...good map pack, but not a new Marathon).

: And of course, Marathon tributes would majorly rock too.

We won't talk about that right now :-)

Lets just say I have fantasies...and if all goes well, I will make them reality...

-Jonathan

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A little request: PiD RelatedJonathan Tennant 2/1/07 2:05 a.m.
     Re: A little request: PiD Relatedkyjel 2/1/07 2:50 a.m.
           Re: A little request: PiD RelatedJonathan Tennant 2/1/07 10:19 a.m.
                 I successfully Googled two of them *NM*MrHen 2/1/07 11:15 a.m.
                 Re: A little request: PiD Relatedthermoplyae 2/1/07 12:23 p.m.
                       Re: A little request: PiD RelatedJonathan Tennant 2/1/07 12:50 p.m.
     Re: A little request: PiD RelatedForrest of B.org 2/1/07 2:42 p.m.
           Re: A little request: PiD RelatedJonathan Tennant 2/1/07 5:32 p.m.
                 Re: A little request: PiD RelatedForrest of B.org 2/1/07 9:19 p.m.
                       Re: A little request: PiD RelatedJonathan Tennant 2/1/07 10:31 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.