/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: gah, no...
Posted By: MrHenDate: 11/21/06 8:25 a.m.

In Response To: Re: gah, no... (Frungi)

: They all actually happen, and they’re all true. You just think the one you’re
: on is the “real” one because you’re on it.

Okay, sure. That makes sense, but it is not what I was using in my overly-complicated example.

: But you seem to be saying the three of You are three separate
: beings, meaning you can’t possibly all be in the same timeline, or else
: they’d all just be you. Either that or you all think you’re changing the
: one timeline, when you’re actually branching off new ones (see: quantum
: physics).

Well, it is not the latter because that is exactly what I am arguing against. :P

But by saying that you cannot be in the same timeline or they would all be you, you are correct. The problem is more of an identity issue than anything else. It would basically have the same effect as cloning: there are "two" of you, but do different yous. An even more basic example is that of twins: they have the same appearance, but are obviously two different people.

It is not a problem of being in two places (times?) at the same time (agh...). Who you are now and who you were when you were seven are two completely different people which brings us back to the identity problem.

Perhaps an easier way to state the duplication is this:
Imagine you are driving a car on the interstate heading north and are passing many, many other cars. Then, for some reason, you turn around and drive in the opposite direction for a certain distance. You will pass all of the cars you passed before since they are still traveling north.

After you have travelled far enough south and turn around again so you can travel north. All of those cars are still ahead of you and you have to pass them again before you can go back to where you were before you turned around the first time. So you speed up and fly by them all.

Theoretically, some of the cars could have taken an exit and are no longer on the interstate. You cannot "pass" them now, because they are no longer on the interstate. They are "gone". You can return to your original position without a problem, but you will not be passing the same cars.

Also theoretically, every single car could be completely different and none of them be the same as they were when you passed them the first time.

The analogy is this: each car is an event and you are you. When you are heading north you are moving "forward" in time and therefore all of these events (cars) occur (are passed).

When you turn around, you begin what we call time-travel. Heading south is heading "backward" in time. All of those events (cars) are now further north than you, meaning they have not happened "yet".

When you reach your southern destination and do whatever you want, all of the cars that were on the intestate get off. The things you changed will cause a whole different set of events (cars) to get on the interstate. When you turn around and head north again, you will be passing a completely different set of events.

You still exist and you have the recollection of passing all of the cars. The catch is that only cars further north than you were removed from the road. You did not have to leave because you were there when the stray event occurred. You can now travel north to your original position regardless of what cars are on the road (what events have occurred).

Your house will be someone else's, your kids would not exist, and the Nazi's may have control of the world. But you still exist because "you" were not in the future when the future collapsed. You were there when things changed.

The break in the analogy is that the events (cars) just honestly disappear instead of getting off the interstate and it is easy to think of the cars as things instead of events.

(The multi-unverise thing would have you taking a different interstate when you head north again, which is NOT what I am talking about.)

So, in other words, you continue to exist because when the future (of this exact same timeline) was rewritten, you were not there to vanish.

: Anyway, wasn’t the whole point of kidnapping yourself to resolve all this?
: All the temporal questions would be answered with that one act, I think.

Yeah, I think it does. :) We have the identity issues, the temporal issues, cause and effect, morality, free-will... wow.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Plotline question concerning InfinityIcarus 11/15/06 12:18 p.m.
     Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityForrest of B.org 11/15/06 1:10 p.m.
           Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityRyokoTK 11/15/06 1:43 p.m.
                 Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityForrest of B.org 11/15/06 3:51 p.m.
                       Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityForrest of B.org 11/15/06 3:59 p.m.
                       time travel and plots in generalMrHen 11/15/06 6:08 p.m.
                             Re: time travel and plots in generalpatrick 11/15/06 6:48 p.m.
                             Re: time travel and plots in generalForrest of B.org 11/15/06 7:57 p.m.
                                   more on plotMrHen 11/16/06 5:07 a.m.
                                         Re: more on plotDocument 11/18/06 11:39 a.m.
                                               I would not know.MrHen 11/18/06 12:33 p.m.
                                                     Re: I would not know.Document 11/18/06 12:44 p.m.
                                                           oh, okay. :)MrHen 11/18/06 3:37 p.m.
                                                                 Re: oh, okay. :)thermoplyae 11/18/06 7:18 p.m.
                                   Re: time travel and plots in generalLegacyTyphoon 11/17/06 12:39 a.m.
                                         Re: time travelFrungi 11/17/06 1:04 p.m.
                                               Re: time travelDocument 11/17/06 1:09 p.m.
                                                     Re: time travelMrHen 11/17/06 2:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: time travelFrungi 11/18/06 1:09 p.m.
                                                           Re: time travelDocument 11/20/06 11:01 a.m.
                                                                 well, obviouslyMrHen 11/20/06 12:17 p.m.
                                                                       Re: well, obviouslyFrungi 11/20/06 5:01 p.m.
                                                                             Re: well, obviouslyForrest of B.org 11/20/06 6:52 p.m.
                                                                                   unilinear?MrHen 11/21/06 4:49 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: unilinear?Frungi 11/21/06 5:49 a.m.
                                                                                               gah, no...MrHen 11/21/06 6:21 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: gah, no...Frungi 11/21/06 7:41 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: gah, no...MrHen 11/21/06 8:25 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Hypothetical questionFrungi 11/21/06 1:45 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Hypothetical answersMrHen 11/22/06 4:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Hypothetical answersFrungi 11/22/06 4:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Hypothetical answersMrHen 11/23/06 7:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Hypothetical answersFrungi 11/23/06 9:11 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Hypothetical answersMrHen 11/23/06 4:04 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: gah, no...Forrest of B.org 11/21/06 8:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                       there are no time-loopsMrHen 11/22/06 4:21 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: unilinear?Forrest of B.org 11/21/06 8:07 p.m.
                                                                                               Something is wrong...MrHen 11/22/06 4:35 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Something is wrong...Forrest of B.org 11/22/06 9:09 a.m.
                                                                                                           this is awesome, I love this stuffMrHen 11/22/06 9:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: this is awesome, I love this stufftreellama 11/22/06 11:25 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/22/06 12:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: this is awesome, I love this stufftreellama 11/22/06 2:41 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/22/06 5:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: this is awesome, I love this stufftreellama 11/23/06 4:58 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               ha, niceMrHen 11/23/06 8:05 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffDocument 9/18/07 11:06 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/22/06 12:28 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffFrungi 11/22/06 4:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/22/06 6:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffDocument 11/22/06 7:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffFrungi 11/22/06 7:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/23/06 12:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: this is awesome, I love this stuff *LINK*Frungi 11/25/06 1:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/26/06 10:04 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffFrungi 11/26/06 6:30 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   timeline == ?MrHen 11/23/06 8:09 a.m.
                                                                                                                       agreement :)MrHen 11/23/06 8:00 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Something is wrong...Aachim 11/22/06 1:24 p.m.
                                                                                         returning to time travelPfhorever 11/23/06 10:13 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: returning to time travelFrungi 11/23/06 10:43 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: well, obviouslyDocument 11/21/06 10:30 a.m.
                                               Re: time travelForrest of B.org 11/17/06 3:47 p.m.
                                                     Re: time travellegacytyphoon 11/17/06 8:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: time travelDocument 11/17/06 9:17 p.m.
                                                                 Re: time travelFrungi 11/18/06 1:07 p.m.
                                                                       Re: time travelDocument 11/19/06 5:59 a.m.
                                                     I disagree *LINK*MrHen 11/18/06 6:55 a.m.
                                   Re: time travel and plots in generalFrungi 11/21/06 7:48 a.m.
                                         Re: time travel and plots in generalForrest of B.org 11/21/06 8:26 p.m.
                             Re: time travel and plots in generalVid Boi 11/16/06 6:18 a.m.
                                   Re: time travel and plots in generalD-M.A. 11/16/06 8:38 a.m.
     Re: Plotline question concerning Infinitythermoplyae 11/15/06 2:05 p.m.
           *cough* spam *cough*MrHen 11/15/06 3:35 p.m.
           Re: Plotline question concerning InfinitySnowCrash 11/15/06 4:12 p.m.
                 Re: Plotline question concerning Infinitythermoplyae 11/15/06 5:03 p.m.
                       Re: Plotline question concerning Infinitykyjel 11/15/06 5:06 p.m.
                             Re: Plotline question concerning Infinitythermoplyae 11/15/06 6:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityDocument 11/16/06 10:10 a.m.
                                         Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityREB 11/16/06 7:31 p.m.
                                               REB!!! *NM*ukimalefu 11/16/06 8:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: Hey, ukimalefu! *NM*REB 11/17/06 9:41 a.m.
                                               MrHen apologized it for in his post, but thanks :) *NM*thermoplyae 11/16/06 11:27 p.m.
                                               WMaiDAaron Sikes 11/17/06 9:33 a.m.
                                                     Re: WMaiDkyjel 11/17/06 10:28 a.m.
                                               It was a joke. >. *NM*MrHen 11/17/06 2:49 p.m.
                                                     Re: Got It ;-) *NM*REB 11/17/06 3:07 p.m.
                 WMaiD *LINK*Blayne 11/17/06 11:24 a.m.
                       Re: WMaiDSnowCrash 11/18/06 10:31 a.m.
                             Re: WMaiDBlayne 11/21/06 10:18 a.m.
                                   Re: WMaiDAaron Sikes 11/21/06 10:50 a.m.
                                   Re: WMaiDFrungi 11/21/06 7:09 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.