/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

unilinear?
Posted By: MrHenDate: 11/21/06 4:49 a.m.

In Response To: Re: well, obviously (Forrest of B.org)

: All assuming multilinear time of course. In unilinear time the whole scenario
: would be impossible unless somehow I was predetermined to return my
: younger self to his own time frame; though in that case I would have
: already had memories of having been kidnapped by my future self when I was
: 10.

Unilinear... hee...

And I disagree with your last statement. If you returned yourself things would change again and you could probably find a copy of yourself somewhere with the memory of being kidnapped. The memories would not *suddenly* appear.

The following may not make much sense, either because it is weird, or because I am wrong. Hopefully it will make sense... but it may bruise the brain.

Being kidnapped by your future you may inspire you to time-travel, thus seemingly causing the first event. But this is a misconception. At this point, there are all sorts of messy particulars to sort out, which is easiest by labeling the different yous:

You #1: The "original" you, the one that time-travels backward and kidnaps yourself. This you has never been kidnapped and has no memories of it.
You #2: Young you, the first you that was kidnapped. Brought to the "future", shown how time-travel works, and then "sent" back to invent time-travel. When You #2 grows up (remember his kidnapping) he time-travels back to kidnap himself. But he has to beat You #1, because You #1 is about to kidnap him.
You #3: The you that You #2 kidnaps. The cycle is about to repeat, but there is a catch: You #1 has now never kidnapped anyone because You #2 beat him to You #3.

But this is a misconception. You #1 did kidnap You #2 which is obvious because You #2 remembers it. You #1 caused a split in your timeline which is why we think of You #1 and You #2 as different people. They basically are different people, had different childhoods, different memories, and the only reason they are related at all is biologically.

You #2 grows up with the memory of being kidnapped and then kidnaps himself causing another split: now we have You #3. All of the events of all three of your childhoods did happen and there are potentially three of you running around. If You #1, You #2, and You #3 all showed up at the same time they could discuss their childhoods and all three would be different. The conclusion is that You #1 did kidnap You #2 and You #2 did kidnap You #3.

And all of this happened in a unilinear timeline. The illusion of a paradox is there because we assume that when You #2 interrupted You #1 to kidnap You #3 preventing him from kidnapping You #2, You #2's future does not exist because You #1 never kidnapped him.

But You #1 has already kidnapped him and so all of the knowledge and experience exists and You #2 has become an entity to himself.

The real paradox is the time-travel itself, not the repercussions of the time-travel.

The reason it is difficult is because our language assumes things about time. All of our words and sentence possess an assumption that we cannot control time. Saying something like, "then You #2 interrupted You #1 and kidnapped You #3" does not make sense because of how we usually think about the words "then" and "interrupted".

Identity also poses a problem. All three versions of you are different and really have nothing to do with each other.

Note: Of course, this is all hypothetical. Also, I love this stuff, so I may have skipped something in there.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Plotline question concerning InfinityIcarus 11/15/06 12:18 p.m.
     Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityForrest of B.org 11/15/06 1:10 p.m.
           Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityRyokoTK 11/15/06 1:43 p.m.
                 Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityForrest of B.org 11/15/06 3:51 p.m.
                       Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityForrest of B.org 11/15/06 3:59 p.m.
                       time travel and plots in generalMrHen 11/15/06 6:08 p.m.
                             Re: time travel and plots in generalpatrick 11/15/06 6:48 p.m.
                             Re: time travel and plots in generalForrest of B.org 11/15/06 7:57 p.m.
                                   more on plotMrHen 11/16/06 5:07 a.m.
                                         Re: more on plotDocument 11/18/06 11:39 a.m.
                                               I would not know.MrHen 11/18/06 12:33 p.m.
                                                     Re: I would not know.Document 11/18/06 12:44 p.m.
                                                           oh, okay. :)MrHen 11/18/06 3:37 p.m.
                                                                 Re: oh, okay. :)thermoplyae 11/18/06 7:18 p.m.
                                   Re: time travel and plots in generalLegacyTyphoon 11/17/06 12:39 a.m.
                                         Re: time travelFrungi 11/17/06 1:04 p.m.
                                               Re: time travelDocument 11/17/06 1:09 p.m.
                                                     Re: time travelMrHen 11/17/06 2:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: time travelFrungi 11/18/06 1:09 p.m.
                                                           Re: time travelDocument 11/20/06 11:01 a.m.
                                                                 well, obviouslyMrHen 11/20/06 12:17 p.m.
                                                                       Re: well, obviouslyFrungi 11/20/06 5:01 p.m.
                                                                             Re: well, obviouslyForrest of B.org 11/20/06 6:52 p.m.
                                                                                   unilinear?MrHen 11/21/06 4:49 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: unilinear?Frungi 11/21/06 5:49 a.m.
                                                                                               gah, no...MrHen 11/21/06 6:21 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: gah, no...Frungi 11/21/06 7:41 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: gah, no...MrHen 11/21/06 8:25 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Hypothetical questionFrungi 11/21/06 1:45 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Hypothetical answersMrHen 11/22/06 4:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Hypothetical answersFrungi 11/22/06 4:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Hypothetical answersMrHen 11/23/06 7:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Hypothetical answersFrungi 11/23/06 9:11 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Hypothetical answersMrHen 11/23/06 4:04 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: gah, no...Forrest of B.org 11/21/06 8:19 p.m.
                                                                                                                       there are no time-loopsMrHen 11/22/06 4:21 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: unilinear?Forrest of B.org 11/21/06 8:07 p.m.
                                                                                               Something is wrong...MrHen 11/22/06 4:35 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Something is wrong...Forrest of B.org 11/22/06 9:09 a.m.
                                                                                                           this is awesome, I love this stuffMrHen 11/22/06 9:33 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: this is awesome, I love this stufftreellama 11/22/06 11:25 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/22/06 12:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: this is awesome, I love this stufftreellama 11/22/06 2:41 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/22/06 5:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: this is awesome, I love this stufftreellama 11/23/06 4:58 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               ha, niceMrHen 11/23/06 8:05 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffDocument 9/18/07 11:06 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/22/06 12:28 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffFrungi 11/22/06 4:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/22/06 6:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffDocument 11/22/06 7:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffFrungi 11/22/06 7:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/23/06 12:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: this is awesome, I love this stuff *LINK*Frungi 11/25/06 1:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffForrest of B.org 11/26/06 10:04 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: this is awesome, I love this stuffFrungi 11/26/06 6:30 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   timeline == ?MrHen 11/23/06 8:09 a.m.
                                                                                                                       agreement :)MrHen 11/23/06 8:00 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Something is wrong...Aachim 11/22/06 1:24 p.m.
                                                                                         returning to time travelPfhorever 11/23/06 10:13 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: returning to time travelFrungi 11/23/06 10:43 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: well, obviouslyDocument 11/21/06 10:30 a.m.
                                               Re: time travelForrest of B.org 11/17/06 3:47 p.m.
                                                     Re: time travellegacytyphoon 11/17/06 8:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: time travelDocument 11/17/06 9:17 p.m.
                                                                 Re: time travelFrungi 11/18/06 1:07 p.m.
                                                                       Re: time travelDocument 11/19/06 5:59 a.m.
                                                     I disagree *LINK*MrHen 11/18/06 6:55 a.m.
                                   Re: time travel and plots in generalFrungi 11/21/06 7:48 a.m.
                                         Re: time travel and plots in generalForrest of B.org 11/21/06 8:26 p.m.
                             Re: time travel and plots in generalVid Boi 11/16/06 6:18 a.m.
                                   Re: time travel and plots in generalD-M.A. 11/16/06 8:38 a.m.
     Re: Plotline question concerning Infinitythermoplyae 11/15/06 2:05 p.m.
           *cough* spam *cough*MrHen 11/15/06 3:35 p.m.
           Re: Plotline question concerning InfinitySnowCrash 11/15/06 4:12 p.m.
                 Re: Plotline question concerning Infinitythermoplyae 11/15/06 5:03 p.m.
                       Re: Plotline question concerning Infinitykyjel 11/15/06 5:06 p.m.
                             Re: Plotline question concerning Infinitythermoplyae 11/15/06 6:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityDocument 11/16/06 10:10 a.m.
                                         Re: Plotline question concerning InfinityREB 11/16/06 7:31 p.m.
                                               REB!!! *NM*ukimalefu 11/16/06 8:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: Hey, ukimalefu! *NM*REB 11/17/06 9:41 a.m.
                                               MrHen apologized it for in his post, but thanks :) *NM*thermoplyae 11/16/06 11:27 p.m.
                                               WMaiDAaron Sikes 11/17/06 9:33 a.m.
                                                     Re: WMaiDkyjel 11/17/06 10:28 a.m.
                                               It was a joke. >. *NM*MrHen 11/17/06 2:49 p.m.
                                                     Re: Got It ;-) *NM*REB 11/17/06 3:07 p.m.
                 WMaiD *LINK*Blayne 11/17/06 11:24 a.m.
                       Re: WMaiDSnowCrash 11/18/06 10:31 a.m.
                             Re: WMaiDBlayne 11/21/06 10:18 a.m.
                                   Re: WMaiDAaron Sikes 11/21/06 10:50 a.m.
                                   Re: WMaiDFrungi 11/21/06 7:09 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.