/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

finished.
Posted By: patrickDate: 10/1/06 7:38 p.m.

In Response To: dual imperials is indeed totally awesome. *NM* (patrick)

Man, there was a real feeling of accomplishment in just getting through some of the crazier skirmishes in the game.

Power of One, in particular. It took about a minute for me to realize that no shots were being fired anymore at me...that I had cleared the field...although I was still flinching at imagined ambushes at every step.

I liked the look and design of most all of the levels (off the top of my head say 'Accolade', 'Mordor', 'Valley of the Damned' in particular, I'm missing some others that were highlights.). I never got lost, never felt stuck. I never said 'This isn't fun' --it always was-- which is very telling, and I guess that was the whole point that the 'make sure your levels are *fun*' camp was trying to make in the level-design thread a while back ago.

It was very difficult, but not impossible (but I was only playing on normal). I liked how it never felt as if I was going about encounters the wrong way, or that I had missed something important. No, if something was giving me trouble, the solution was always "kick ass harder." Which always worked.

There was only one place where I noticed enemy respawns happening, which I generally hate whenever I come across them in games (since it's impossible to 'win'), but it was appropriate for the situation (it was a climactic level, and tied into the story), and I confess when I finished the level it added to the feeling of accomplishment.

I only found 3/7 secret terminals (including the credits), but I wasn't looking very hard. I'm pretty sure I know where it least one of the others is, though.

The story itself seemed a bit rough in places, but it really didn't hamper things that much, in part because of the character of the CO of the Istanbul. He was very entertaining ('just do it...don't ask me why'), and it was a good partnership working with him throughout the game. It was really just about crushing everything in your path, anyway.

This game seemed to embody 'You are Destiny' to a greater extent than some; I liked that a lot. It doesn't matter how stacked the odds are against you, destiny is not thwarted, it is manifested (its will indomitable; its jjaro boxers indestructible). Again and again, to the closure of the universe, and beyond the threshold. And it makes for good taunts whilst kicking phfor corpses.

Lastly, I really liked the artwork for the chapter screens, intro, and closing. Very stylish. Love the title theme, too.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Very challenging combat, interesting levels, fun to play through, satisfying to finish. Thanks for releasing it, and for all the effort put into it!

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon: The Gray IncidentRyokoTK 9/27/06 8:01 p.m.
     Re: Marathon: The Gray Incidentukimalefu 9/27/06 8:11 p.m.
           uhm... torrent? *NM*ukimalefu 9/27/06 8:12 p.m.
                 Re: uhm... torrent?RyokoTK 9/27/06 8:14 p.m.
                       Re: uhm... torrent?ukimalefu 9/27/06 8:16 p.m.
     Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentForrest of B.org 9/27/06 11:08 p.m.
           Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentRyokoTK 9/28/06 4:35 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentD-M.A. 9/28/06 5:35 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentRyokoTK 9/28/06 5:46 a.m.
           Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentDocument 9/28/06 7:06 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentDocument 9/28/06 7:06 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentRyokoTK 9/28/06 11:05 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentDocument 9/29/06 9:59 a.m.
     dual imperials is indeed totally awesome. *NM*patrick 9/28/06 3:12 p.m.
           finished.patrick 10/1/06 7:38 p.m.
                 Re: finished.Forrest of B.org 10/1/06 7:53 p.m.
                       Re: finished.FullDiaper 10/2/06 1:45 a.m.
                             Re: finished.RyokoTK 10/2/06 4:55 a.m.
                       Re: finished.RyokoTK 10/2/06 5:25 a.m.
     Re: Marathon: The Gray Incidentgoran 9/30/06 5:04 a.m.
           Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentRyokoTK 9/30/06 6:14 a.m.
           Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentRyokoTK 10/3/06 11:08 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon: The Gray Incidentgoran 10/4/06 6:40 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon: The Gray IncidentRyokoTK 10/4/06 6:08 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.