/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: cool...
Posted By: Vid BoiDate: 9/27/06 3:34 p.m.

In Response To: Re: cool... (Document)

: Got it yet?

I do! Here's the one with frog blast in it, very poorly translated into English. Stupid jargon. It's got nothing to do with Marathon whatsoever, but just so you don't have to lie sleepless at night wondering what that Swedish was all about.

I think it's called "unfaithful symbols" or something. And don't blame me for his calling us 20-year-old hackers =)

"'Frog blast the ventcore!' [sic] Don't worry about not understanding. You weren't supposed to. It is a code understood only by certain computer hackers, usually guys under the age of 20, a nonsense quote taken out of context from a computer game. For a while, it was a sort of greeting between initiates - I'm not one of them!

There are tons of signs like this, which we give each other to signal what groups we belong to. The other day I heard a rumbling roar behind me on the street. The powerful sound came from twenty thundering motorcycles with hairy Hells Angels members wearing sunglasses and leather. The symbols were there, but they did not work this time. These guys were trying to look so dangerous and mean with their roaring and their vests, but I had to smile at the collapse of the symbols and in a way I pitied them. Because nowadays their symbols have been appropriated by other groups.

Well-adjusted people, middle-aged or even older, who buy big fancy bikes and drive around for fun in the weekends. I'm one of them, but I'm gradually starting to look around for new options as more and more male and female leather-clad seniors flock around their new shiny Harley Davidsons. Where do Hells Angels go when their symbols are kidnapped by the enemy and thereby gain new meanings?

Alexander Bard suggested a few years ago that all the fairy queers in Stockholm should go out wearing shorts, leather lashes and brown shirts adorned with swastikas. This would make it forever impossible for the neo-Nazis to make use of these symbols. The symbol theft, the satire and the humor would work just as well if not even better, than serious debates and education. I think he's right.

We're living in a time of many options but also great insecurity. Who am I? Whom do I want to be? The answers are no longer provided by parents, school or the church. We have to work out our own answers individually. We're well aware of this. But the amount of symbols that can be bought with money, brands, seduce us with a simple solution. Too simple.

Companies fill their brands with associations to fundamental values, that the one thirsting for identity may find a tempting way out of his anxiety. With the help of brands we become someone, but never ourselves.

The philosopher Emmanuel Mounier says that man is drawn downwards, toward primitive instincts. But we also reach outwards, toward our fellow humans. We strive upwards towards the spiritual realm and we seek inwards into our own depths and mysteries. Our own complexity, greatness and weaknesses should fill us with what Mounier calls a restrictive "shyness" for the belief that we in a more profound sense can feel and understand other people.

Brands feel no shyness and will therefore always be an unsatisfying and vulnerable expression of our authentic identities. Just imagine if the wrong group started wearing our favorite symbols!"

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Frog blast the vent core!Vid Boi 11/1/05 10:01 a.m.
     cool...MrHen 11/1/05 1:12 p.m.
           Re: cool...Vid Boi 11/2/05 2:07 a.m.
                 Re: cool...Document 9/26/06 7:33 a.m.
                       Re: cool...Vid Boi 9/27/06 3:34 p.m.
                             I can't believe that worked. *NM*Document 9/29/06 9:51 a.m.
                             Re: cool...Document 9/30/06 7:30 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.