/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Very Strange Forge Problem
Posted By: Adam AshwellDate: 8/21/06 12:15 p.m.

I've been having problems lately with Forge, and while I managed to get around them for a while it's suddenly gotten worse.

I used to use Aleph Forge 1.7. Recently I opened Aleph Forge for the first time in a while (several system and other such updates had gone by) and while draw mode worked fine, visual mode was wonky. It would start out fine, and then it would start becoming incredibly jumpy and unresponsive. It was as if Forge was pushing the graphical limits of my 1 GHz G4 eMac with 640 MB of RAM and 32 MB of VRAM. This happened on every map I opened with it, and it also happened no matter which copy of Aleph Forge I used (I have several on my computer – one for Eternal, one for Infinity, etc.) and which shapes file was used. I restarted my computer, tried giving Aleph Forge way more memory in the Get Info screen, tried a lot of things, and nothing helped. I tried a copy of normal Forge 1.0.4 and found that it worked. I assumed that OS X has advanced too far ahead of Aleph Forge (which was stupid of me – it's Forge with a few changed parameters) and switched to using Forge 1.0.4.

I've been using Forge 1.0.4 quite a lot in the past few days mapping for Eternal. This morning and early afternoon I used it a lot, and it worked fine. I stopped for a while, and during that period Classic was accidentally force-quit (not sure whether or not Forge was open at the time – I don't think it was, as, old as it is, it slows everything else down while it's running). Later I opened Forge again and found that suddenly it too had the exact same problem that Aleph Forge had had. It's the exact same deal – all my copies are affected, whether it's a new map or an existing map is irrelevant, shapes file doesn't matter. I even thought this time to try running Classic with extensions turned off, and that didn't help anything. I checked back with Aleph Forge and it's still busted.

I know Forge's inner workings are pretty arcane, but does anyone here know what might be the problem? This is a pretty big deal for me, as it renders Forge practically unusable and I'm currently working on the Eternal X team. Also, my computer cannot reboot into OS9, so I can't see if it's an OSX-specific problem.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Very Strange Forge ProblemAdam Ashwell 8/21/06 12:15 p.m.
     Re: Very Strange Forge ProblemAaron Sikes 8/21/06 1:04 p.m.
     Whattreellama 8/21/06 1:23 p.m.
           Re: Whatrampancy 8/21/06 2:34 p.m.
                 Re: Whattreellama 8/21/06 3:13 p.m.
                       Re: WhatAdam Ashwell 8/21/06 3:58 p.m.
                             Re: Whattreellama 8/21/06 4:12 p.m.
                                   Re: WhatNicholai 8/21/06 6:18 p.m.
                                         Whatever happened to Men of Honor?D-M.A. 8/21/06 7:18 p.m.
                                               Re: Whatever happened to Men of Honor?Adam Ashwell 8/22/06 3:24 a.m.
                                                     Re: Whatever happened to Men of Honor?treellama 8/22/06 4:47 a.m.
                                                           Re: Whatever happened to Men of Honor?Adam Ashwell 8/22/06 5:12 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Whatever happened to Men of Honor?NICK HOAD 8/22/06 12:11 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Whatever happened to Men of Honor?Nicholai 8/22/06 4:59 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.