/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using Classic
Posted By: Aaron SikesDate: 8/3/06 7:12 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using Classic (treellama)

: Not sure where you get that impression. It can certainly handle longer view
: distances than Forge can, and instead of crashing when you use a lot of
: transparent lines, just gets really slow. But, "any length of
: view?" Not at all :)

Right. I was just speaking a little too generally there. :-)

: Forge will definitely crash if you put too many transparent lines in, one way
: around it is to partition your map into pieces (either build thin dividers
: between the parts, or mark the lines dividing them solid, non-transparent,
: and empty), texture each partition, then fill the dividers / mark the
: lines transparent and non-solid, when you're done with visual mode.

I've tried these, with varied success, and usually figure out a way around the problem. What I'm really trying to get around though is the screen lag in visual mode, even when I'm working in a small space with relatively few polys/lines. I'm wondering if firing up the old PPC Mac in the closet wouldn't be a better option than trying to do everything on my iBook. Has anyone done a comparison between the different grades of machines being used? Does the G3 iMac have anything on the newer generation? My university has a stockpile of 333Mhz iMacs at $50 each...I keep thinking I should just get one to use strictly for game/graphics work.

: Or you could use Pfhorge, which, while a bit more buggy than Forge, can
: handle greater view distances and more transparent lines than Forge can.

I've never actually done anything with Pfhorge. It seems, from what I read here and in other forums, that most people prefer Forge. Are the bugs that bad?

: That said, ask yourself, "Do I really need this many polygons / that
: long a view distance?" 99% of the time, no, you don't. There are many
: tricks, most involve adding negative space, that you can do to make things
: work smoothly in Forge, and will keep your map useful on lower end
: machines (which there are still quite a number of)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I end up thinking as I grit my teeth after yet another crash. I should also make a point (previously made elsewhere in the forum) that I'm really a novice mapmaker. I've just started using some of the tricks that people have discovered (*gives thanks to TBC for split-poly instructions*) and still struggle with a lot of the mapmaking process. Thankfully there's so much out there from you and other veterans in the community...makes learning the how-to's a lot easier.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicJohannes Gunnar 3/17/06 5:22 a.m.
     Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicAndrew Nagy 3/17/06 6:01 a.m.
           Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicJohannes Gunnar 3/17/06 8:03 a.m.
                 Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicLegacyTyphoon 3/17/06 9:43 a.m.
                       Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicJohannes Gunnar 3/17/06 4:01 p.m.
                 Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicAndrew Nagy 3/17/06 5:34 p.m.
                 Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicTycho 3/17/06 7:26 p.m.
                       Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicJohannes Gunnar 3/18/06 3:47 a.m.
                             Maybe Classic just doesn't like Forgeukimalefu 3/18/06 5:35 p.m.
                                   Re: Maybe Classic just doesn't like ForgeC Lund 3/18/06 11:56 p.m.
                                         Re: Maybe Classic just doesn't like ForgeRyokoTK 3/19/06 3:22 a.m.
                             Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicTycho 3/18/06 5:46 p.m.
                             Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicAaron Sikes 8/2/06 6:18 a.m.
                                   Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using Classictreellama 8/2/06 8:46 a.m.
                                         Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicAaron Sikes 8/3/06 7:12 a.m.
                                               Pfhorge v. Forgethermoplyae 8/3/06 9:47 a.m.
                                                     Re: Pfhorge v. Forgetreellama 8/3/06 10:46 a.m.
                             Re: Massive memory leak in Forge using ClassicPhiltron 12/19/12 9:10 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.