/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Spam broke WebBBS before we did
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 6/3/06 11:18 p.m.

In Response To: Spam broke WebBBS before we did (thermoplyae)

: Well this sure is confusing.

Indeed it is. My internet has been down all day and I just managed to get back online to fine a forum index completely filled with spam, and the buttons on the admin page to delete them not there. The button WITHIN the first spam message itself did work though, after which the admin buttons came back. Sometimes the "are you sure you want to delete?" screen had no buttons to confirm with. Every time I deleted one message, some other ones appeared, with post dates long before now; and other messages disappeared. This thread has been blinking in and out of apparent existence the entire time I've been deleting stuff.

It now *appears* that all the spam is gone. I suspect that the use of HTML tags in titles and such was royally messing up the page display, which is what was causing all the confusion. But who knows, maybe there is some spam that I can't even see right now because of other spam I can't see right now... I'm still operating off the theory that this problem will fix itself once things move off the main page, and if not, maybe Claude can do some manual editing of the forum index or something.

I've got to wonder if all the spam flying around has anything to do with my connection being down today, which was also odd: my network diagnostics utility was telling me that I had a fine connection through my router and out to my ISP, but that my ISP (which is Cox Cable, not some dinky local ISP) was not getting through to the internet. All the spam messages came from unique addresses, which indicates to me that there's some sort of massive botnet pwnage doing on out there which could have been disrupting other parts of the internet, and possibly some large ISPs. Off to read news sites now for more information.

-fobot.out

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Spam broke WebBBS before we didthermoplyae 6/3/06 4:48 p.m.
     Re: Spam broke WebBBS before we didBlake37 6/3/06 5:02 p.m.
     Re: Spam broke WebBBS before we didNick Hoad 6/3/06 5:03 p.m.
     (ADMIN) Re: Spam broke WebBBS before we did Forrest of B.org 6/3/06 11:18 p.m.
           Thank God for Low-Flying Fobots! *NM*Bob-B-Q 6/4/06 8:50 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.