/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Movie
Posted By: John DentonDate: 6/1/06 9:43 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Movie (Wail of Suicide)

: Well, here's the thing : Even though I'm a pretty damn big Marathon fan,
: unless what I see on the movie screen is tied to my game experience, I'm
: not going to like it. I don't see a point in trying to make a film
: "of" the game if it's not trying to be faithful to the game
: (whatever that means).

Yeah, I don't know what you mean by faithful. I didn't say it should be something totally different, but what fun would it be if it just followed the game exactly? As you say below, you can play it whenever you want, so I can't see any reason to make the same thing over again.

: The Marathon Trilogy isn't going anywhere, you can play it whenever you want.
: Movies are just another medium, one which you seem to think is basically
: incompatible with your experience of Marathon -- If so, then there's no
: real point in trying to create a movie if you're going to compromise that
: much. As much as there's the tendency to think of a game that has a movie
: as having "made it," I'm content with having Marathon (and
: updating it via the M:R project). Pop culture would likely not embrace
: Marathon, but diluting its essence to make it appeal more to a mass
: audience just makes it one of a million other generic sci-fi movies.

I never said anything about compromising. Exactly the opposite. I said that a film is the chance to flesh out a complex universe which is poorly represented by the technology available to such an old game. I certainly didn't mean that it should be "diluted." If anything, the result should be more complicated than the game.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Interface & Other ThingsNick Hoad 5/21/06 11:11 a.m.
     Re: Interface & Other ThingsTydeus 5/21/06 3:42 p.m.
           Uh... guys?ukimalefu 5/21/06 7:38 p.m.
                 MovieCubicCircle 5/21/06 9:33 p.m.
                       Re: MovieForrest of B.org 5/21/06 10:04 p.m.
                             Re: Moviethermoplyae 5/21/06 10:49 p.m.
                                   Re: MovieC Lund 5/22/06 1:28 a.m.
                                         Re: MovieCubicCircle 5/22/06 6:45 a.m.
                                         Re: Moviethermoplyae 5/22/06 8:05 a.m.
                                               Re: MovieC Lund 5/22/06 8:37 a.m.
                                                     Re: MovieWail of Suicide 5/22/06 9:55 a.m.
                                                           Re: Moviethermoplyae 5/22/06 10:14 a.m.
                                                           Re: MovieCubicCircle 5/22/06 10:14 a.m.
                                                           Re: MovieNTiOzymandias 5/31/06 2:40 p.m.
                                                                 Re: MovieJohn Denton 5/31/06 6:58 p.m.
                                                                       Re: MovieWail of Suicide 6/1/06 1:06 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Moviethermoplyae 6/1/06 8:13 a.m.
                                                                             Re: MovieJohn Denton 6/1/06 9:43 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: MovieWail of Suicide 6/1/06 10:26 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: MovieJohn Denton 6/2/06 12:48 p.m.
                                                                       Re: MovieForrest of B.org 6/1/06 9:12 a.m.
                                                                             Re: MovieJohn Denton 6/1/06 9:55 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: MovieForrest of B.org 6/1/06 4:11 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: MovieJohn Denton 6/1/06 4:50 p.m.
                                                                 Re: MovieCubicCircle 6/2/06 5:00 a.m.
                                                                       Re: MovieJohn Denton 6/2/06 12:54 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Movieukimalefu 6/2/06 10:03 p.m.
                                                                             Re: MovieCubicCircle 6/2/06 10:21 p.m.
                       How I'do itreagan64 5/24/06 2:57 p.m.
                             Re: How I'do itCubicCircle 5/24/06 10:15 p.m.
                                   Good point. Scratch that idea. *NM*reagan64 6/2/06 7:01 a.m.
     movie? forget it.fokker 6/4/06 2:58 a.m.
           Re: movie? forget it.thermoplyae 6/4/06 4:14 a.m.
                 Re: movie? forget it.D-M.A. 6/4/06 6:18 a.m.
                       You should have spoken up earlier D: *NM*thermoplyae 6/4/06 7:55 a.m.
                       Re: movie? forget it.John Denton 6/4/06 10:34 a.m.
           Re: movie? forget it.John Denton 6/4/06 10:30 a.m.
                 Re: movie? forget it.Forrest of B.org 6/4/06 9:23 p.m.
                       Re: movie? forget it. How about a short film?MrAlexZander 6/5/06 11:32 a.m.
                             Re: movie? forget it. How about a short film?John Denton 6/5/06 12:15 p.m.
                                   Re: movie? forget it. How about a short film?Forrest of B.org 6/5/06 2:22 p.m.
                                         Re: short filmThe Sullen "D" Button 6/6/06 1:21 a.m.
                                               Re: short filmCubicCircle 6/6/06 2:16 a.m.
                                               something unrelated to short filmsAndrew Nagy 6/7/06 6:09 a.m.
                                                     Re: something unrelated to short filmsJohn Denton 6/7/06 12:02 p.m.
           Re: movie? forget it.Vid Boi 6/6/06 11:18 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.