/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Anyone considering Hamachi: Read
Posted By: wal*mart cart pusherDate: 2/23/06 11:27 a.m.

In Response To: Anyone considering Hamachi: Read (thermoplyae)

: There's no reason whatsoever to use Hamachi over Mariusnet. In the end, they
: accomplish the same thing at the same speeds, and Mariusnet has the
: advantage of being built-in to AlephOne. There's nothing special about
: Hamachi, and despite the previous thread, you shouldn't think otherwise.

: If you really, down in the depths of your soul, want to use Hamachi, go
: ahead. You'll still be able to play netgames (...with other people using
: Hamachi, that is). On the other hand, if you just want to play some
: Marathon while exerting the least amount of effort (and considering the
: terrible amounts of confusion that simple instructions for generating
: netplay has generated in the past, the simpler this processes is the
: better), then just open AlephOne, hit 'Join Network Game' and then 'Find
: Internet Game'. It's that easy. No, seriously. Piece of cake.

: And don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise.

One more note to that, Mariusnet still relies on a central server. Ive gottent the response "So wait a couple of hours". When Mariusnet goes down, it is down for 2 to 3 days at a time. Even when Hamachi's central server goes down, you are still able to connect to other people because all you need thier server is for registration purposes only (which, by the way, it does prompt you about that after you install Hamachi and all you need to do is choose a nickname and you are done. Just as easy).

Mariusnet is not just "built in" to Aleph On. The key word to "Click on Join Network Game, and then click on "Find Internet Game" is the word "INTERNET". Do you see "LAN" anywhere in that phrase, I sure don't. I use hamichi for Private games. You can't do that with Mariusnet because Mariusnet makes an "Internet" Game where anyone can join, where with Hamachi, you let anyone you know with Hamachi and are on the network you created with it and all you need to do is set up a normal everyday LAN game, no waiting for other hosts to let you join. When you join a Netwok Game, all you need to do is turn off "Join By Adress" and click on "Join" which (if you hadn't noticed is right next to "Cancel"). The gatherer of the Marathon Game (or any game for that matter) CAN turn off "Broadcast Game Over the Internet". Since you are in a LAN, Aleph One (Marathon), and all other games that support LAN games, will treat the game as though it were on an actual LAN.

I am not trying to bash on Mariusnet, I too think it is a wonderful peice of code, but when you are like me and would like to host, but cant because you have a firewall, or a router set up, then get a couple of friends and use Hamachi and Host a LAN game. Very simple explanation. You don't need to be bashing Hamachi since you never used it (I have used Mariusnet for playing internet games, but i cannot host them unless it is LAN, hence the use for Hamachi) I also appologise for not making this point a little more clear, I hope you can at least try Hamachi and if you join the network "wal*mart's carts" in Hamachi (yes it is case-sensitive), the password is "poop".

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Hamachi for Mac OSX!!!!!wal*mart cart pusher 2/21/06 5:35 a.m.
     Anyone considering Hamachi: Readthermoplyae 2/21/06 8:22 a.m.
           Re: Anyone considering Hamachi: ReadEnder 2/21/06 11:34 a.m.
           Re: Anyone considering Hamachi: Readwal*mart cart pusher 2/22/06 3:38 p.m.
                 Re: Anyone considering Hamachi: Readthermoplyae 2/22/06 11:04 p.m.
                       Re: Anyone considering Hamachi: Readwal*mart cart pusher 2/23/06 10:23 a.m.
                             Re: Anyone considering Hamachi: Readthermoplyae 2/23/06 5:37 p.m.
                                   Re: Anyone considering Hamachi: Readwal*mart cart pusher 2/24/06 4:37 a.m.
                                         Re: Anyone considering Hamachi: Readwal*mart cart pusher 2/24/06 4:40 a.m.
           Re: Anyone considering Hamachi: Readwal*mart cart pusher 2/23/06 11:27 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.