/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: M2 Hi-Res textures
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 11/22/05 6:33 a.m.

In Response To: Re: M2 Hi-Res textures (ukimalefu)

: I didn't touch the Open GL settings, I have a 16 MB Radeon 128 (700 Mhz iMac
: G3, 256 MB ram, OS X 10.4)

Ooh, that's almost as bad as my old beige G3, which didn't even have an OpenGL-compliant graphics card (8MB seemed huge at the time).

The bottom line is that you probably don't have enough combined RAM and VRAM to load the high-res textures. When AO loads up, it loads as many textures into VRAM as space will permit. The rest it loads into system RAM, swapping textures in and out on the fly as needed. If you don't have enough room in system RAM either, I'm not sure what happens - theoretically it should swap out to your hard drive, but that would drop your frame rate to an unacceptable low. Perhaps it truncates the number of bits used to render the textures, leaving everything dark, but that's just a guess.

Bottom line, my friend, is you probably need to stay away from the high-res textures until you have a better computer.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

M2 Hi-Res texturesukimalefu 11/20/05 4:30 p.m.
     Re: M2 Hi-Res texturesSteve Levinson 11/21/05 4:42 a.m.
           Re: M2 Hi-Res texturesukimalefu 11/21/05 4:28 p.m.
                 Re: M2 Hi-Res texturesSteve Levinson 11/22/05 6:33 a.m.
                       Re: M2 Hi-Res texturesukimalefu 11/22/05 10:27 a.m.
                             I don't know what did it, but I fixed it.ukimalefu 11/22/05 11:49 a.m.
                                   Re: I don't know what did it, but I fixed it.Simon/team Sigma 11/22/05 1:03 p.m.
                                         Re: I don't know what did it, but I fixed it.ukimalefu 11/23/05 9:21 a.m.
                                               Re: I don't know what did it, but I fixed it.Blake37 11/23/05 10:20 a.m.
                                                     Re: I don't know what did it, but I fixed it.Steve Levinson 11/24/05 1:00 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.