/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Story discussions dwindling?
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 11/16/05 2:54 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Puzzles?! (MrHen)

: In any case, the puzzles are mostly in the story as you mentioned. As to what
: it all means? It means that somehow they created a story 10+ years ago
: that beats anything we've seen yet in a video game or we'd be off
: dissecting that story.

: Though the story discussions as a whole have dwindled a tad...

Well, one of the reasons the story discussions have dwindled is that we've dissected and discussed everything just about 5000 times. I've been here almost since the beginning of this forum and it's always a bit fun to see new arrivals get hooked on Marathon and ask questions that are new to them, but not to us "old" guys (kind of accurate in my case). In a lot of forums, these sorts of questions would end up with the poster being blasted out of the water, but here most everyone is polite and there's always someone kind enough to simply answer the question, discuss the various conflicting viewpoints or point the poster to a previous thread or Story Page link where they can read all about it. That's one of the things that makes this forum great. Although we may not care to have the lengthy discussions we used to have, we still are eager to look at new ideas and toss in new hypotheses.

One of the more interesting offshoots has been in the development of 3rd party scenarios. Hamish initially tried to keep the forum limited to the PiD and M trilogy stories, but because there is such an enthusiastic fan base, many 3rd party scenarios and fan fiction pieces have developed that respectfully continue the original story, with interesting new insights. Of course some scenarios are real dogs and some have story elements with which many would disagree, but by-and-large I think there are very few games with such a wealth of fan-generated 3rd party additions of such high quality. It was for this reason that I took it upon myself to start the first 3rd party volunteers series, putting Rubicon front and center as an example of a professional-quality game that adhered nicely to Bungie's original concept of a tightly interwoven story. There have been many 3rd party volunteers series since and even though the most recent one in progress has been a disappointment in terms of participation (I suspect largely due to the lack of full AO compatibility), we're still discussing.

What really inspires me today is that people are still creating 3rd party scenarios and sprucing up some of the old ones. Even after all these years, people are still creating their own art and their own stories based on this antique game engine and a beautiful concept - one that an FPS can be about more than killing. The Marathon backstory is so rich with content that people are still finding new ways to exploit it for their own scenarios. And I'm sure this will lead to even more discussion here.

And for those of you who've read this far, go help Blayne finish off WMaiD. From what I've seen of his work so far, WMaiD may well have the most rigorously researched and integrated story of any scenario based on the Marathon engine, including the original trilogy.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What makes a puzzle?C Lund 10/2/05 8:36 a.m.
     Re: What makes a puzzle?RyokoTK 10/2/05 3:44 p.m.
     Re: What makes a puzzle?Steve Levinson 10/2/05 7:19 p.m.
           Re: What makes a puzzle?kyjel 10/2/05 9:12 p.m.
           Re: What makes a puzzle?C Lund 10/3/05 12:58 a.m.
                 Re: What makes a puzzle?goran 10/3/05 1:13 a.m.
                       Re: What makes a puzzle?ukimalefu 10/3/05 8:56 a.m.
                       Re: What makes a puzzle?Steve Levinson 10/3/05 10:32 a.m.
                             Re: What makes a puzzle?Forrest of B.org 10/3/05 1:36 p.m.
                                   Re: What makes a puzzle?Blake37 10/3/05 3:16 p.m.
                                   Re: What makes a puzzle?RyokoTK 10/3/05 7:04 p.m.
                                         Re: What makes a puzzle?ukimalefu 10/4/05 11:58 a.m.
                                   Re: What makes a puzzle?Steve Levinson 10/4/05 4:26 a.m.
                                         Re: What makes a puzzle?Forrest of B.org 10/4/05 4:51 p.m.
                       Re: What makes a puzzle?Vid Boi 10/3/05 11:07 a.m.
                             Re: What makes a puzzle?Keith Palmer 10/3/05 11:52 a.m.
                                   Re: What makes a puzzle?Alexander 10/4/05 9:09 p.m.
                             Re: What makes a puzzle?ellio7t 10/5/05 10:04 a.m.
                       Re: What makes a puzzle?themijolnir 11/3/05 9:58 a.m.
     DefinitionDeram Scholzara 10/14/05 7:48 p.m.
           Re: DefinitionSenator Predator 10/26/05 6:00 a.m.
                 Puzzles?!Jontar2b 11/15/05 3:32 p.m.
                       Re: Puzzles?!RyokoTK 11/15/05 5:38 p.m.
                       Re: Puzzles?!MrHen 11/16/05 5:33 a.m.
                             Story discussions dwindling?Steve Levinson 11/16/05 2:54 p.m.
                                   Re: Story discussions dwindling?ukimalefu 11/16/05 6:46 p.m.
                                   Re: Story discussions dwindling?MrHen 11/17/05 5:52 a.m.
                                         Re: Story discussions dwindling?Steve Levinson 11/17/05 1:33 p.m.
                                               haha, well I *would*MrHen 11/18/05 8:48 a.m.
                                   Re: Story discussions dwindling?Hamish Sinclair 11/18/05 10:01 a.m.
                                         Point well taken *NM*Steve Levinson 11/18/05 12:09 p.m.
                                         Marathon the saga continuesJontar2b 11/21/05 5:00 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.