/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

I suppose I should be nice...
Posted By: MrHenDate: 9/28/05 5:36 a.m.

In Response To: is marathon a prequel to halo (natranr)

: im not realy sure but if you know, email me if you know

: heres a pic

: thers a marathon sign in between the "A" and "L"

The reason you really aren't getting much of a decent answer is because we've been asked repeatedly by people if this is true. Some nice, some not so nice. Since you asked fairly nicely I'll actually answer.

I'm not going to dig up links for you, however, so you'll have to take my word.

There are numerous similarities between Marathon and Halo. Tons of them. But there are nearly as many inconsistencies throughout. The Marathon symbol, especially, shows up all over the place. As I'm sure you know, the symbol appears in the Halo 2 multiplayer. It shows up on the side of the Pillar of Autumn and a few other places scattered about.

But as Stephanos pointed out, the timelines are impossible to mesh correctly. We've tried.

The only theory that still remains and holds validity (as far as I know, I've really stopped paying attention to these) is that after the Marathon universe ended in Infinity it reassembled itself into Halo. But even if this was the case it isn't much more than a cheap trick to say they're combined and wouldn't hold any lasting implications.

Bungie itself has said that Marathon and Halo weren't connected other than through Bungie and easter eggs. Just because Marathon references keep popping up doesn't mean Halo == Marathon. The soffish keeps popping up too, but I highly doubt it is integral to the story.

In any case, I'm curious to know if you've played Marathon. If not, I can understand why you may think Marathon was a prequel. If anything, however, Halo would be a sequel to Marathon considering it was released after Marathon. Marathon really is a prequel to nothing and never will be.

And in any case, the relationship between PiD and Marathon is so much more interesting than what Halo has to do with anything other than Halo... :P

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

is marathon a prequel to halonatranr 9/25/05 4:04 p.m.
     Re: is marathon a prequel to haloStephanos 9/25/05 5:23 p.m.
           Re: is marathon a prequel to halokyjel 9/25/05 5:27 p.m.
                 Not *this* again... *NM*me_43 9/25/05 8:45 p.m.
     LOL!!! and the history repeats... *NM*Johannes Gunnar 9/26/05 1:00 a.m.
     Sorry, no cigars here. *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/26/05 4:07 a.m.
           Re: Sorry, no cigars here.Mark Evans 9/26/05 4:20 a.m.
                 Re: Sorry, no cigars here.Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/26/05 6:06 a.m.
                       Seconded. *NM*me_43 9/26/05 6:42 a.m.
                       Go for it. *NM*MrHen 9/26/05 11:17 a.m.
                             At least the last one was mostly new comparisons! *NM*AfroRyan 9/26/05 6:18 p.m.
     Re: is marathon a prequel to haloVid Boi 9/27/05 1:24 p.m.
     I suppose I should be nice...MrHen 9/28/05 5:36 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.