/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Poor Yorick
Posted By: Mr. BillDate: 9/8/05 7:51 p.m.

I noticed in the Infinity level title's explanation page that the "Poor Yorick" reference ended after only the obligatory Shakespeare reference. I figure its prudent to mention the famous Laurence Sterne refernce to Yorick in The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy:

"A few hours before Yorick breath'd his last, Eugenius stept in with an intent to take his last sight and last farewell of him: Upon his drawing Yorick's curtain, and asking how he felt himself, Yorick, looking up in his face, took hold of his hand,----and, after thanking him for the many tokens of his frienship to him, for which, he said, if it was their fate to meet hereafter,---he would thank him again and again.--He told him, he was within a few hours of giving his enemies the slip for ever.-----I hope not, answered Eugenius, with tears trickling down his cheeks, and with the tenderest tone that ever man spoke,---I hope not, Yorick, said he.--Yorick replied, with a look up, and a gentle squeeze of Eugenius's hand, and that was all,--but it cut Eugenius to his heart....
"He lies buried in a corner of his church-yard, in the parish of -----------, under a plain marble slabb, which his friend Eugenius, by leave of his executors, laid upon his grave, with no more than these three words of incription serving both for his epitaph and elegy: Alas, poor Yorick!
"Ten times in a day has Yorick's ghost the consolation to hear his monumental inscription read over with such a variety of plaintive tones, as denote a general pity and esteem for him;----a foot-way crossing the church-yard close by the side of his grave,---not apassanger goes by without stopping to cast a look upon it,---and sighing as he walks on, Alas, poor Yorick!"

The text is then followed by two totaly black pages.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Poor YorickMr. Bill 9/8/05 7:51 p.m.
     Re: Poor YorickMr. Bill 9/8/05 8:17 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.