/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I'll say this.
Posted By: Miguel ChavezDate: 9/5/05 8:04 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I'll say this. (Andrew Nagy)

: It looks like Suffer THIS! was the real East Coast Fanfest. I haven't yet
: figured out if it's something I could have signed up for if I'd paid more
: attention; or if it was another of those 32-person invite-only things.

It was about 16-19 ppl. There was no signing up, it was by invite only. If you were someone I considered a Halo fan and had never met before (or once long long ago) I would've put you on the list of possible attendees. Unfortunately I don't equate this forum with rabid Halo players, is that a misperception on my part? I'm all ears.

The tru7h of the matter is that the Bungie fan community is quite fragmented. We have Marathon, Myth, and Halo as the big games folks flock around, and the forums for each make it easy to have distinct communities. Yet some of us straddle many of those games but haven't the time to participate in all the forums about it. Those of us that truly have enjoyed all the games (I count myself in those ranks) are a rare breed.

: "My house doesn't fit several hundred people in it. (And renting out a
: huge convention hall just wouldn't be the same thing.)" ~ Louis

The era of uber-LAN parties at Mr. Wu's home is possibly over:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lwu/271.html

This gathering was held at my home here in NYC. Fortuitous coincidence made it possible. That particular aligning of the planets might not happen again. Well... :)

: How many people attended the Halo Launch Party? Or the old Macworld
: Fanfests?

The Halo Launch Party is one of the few that I did not attend, maybe Matt can chime in about it, but from what I was told... it was a SIGNIFICANT event. At least in terms of number... maybe not in terms of warm body to Bungie fan ratio though. They were hitting the big time so many folks really wanted to play the game.

I still have the macworld/E3 fanfest sign up sheets, somewhere. It's quite interesting to shuffle through. I think at max, before Bungie really took it over, we hit something like 200 ppl. If you go to my site, bs.bungie.org and check out the 'old' pages, which should still work, you can see my writeups of each one and how different it was from the preceding one.

: "We always try to have some new people, and some regulars - nice to mix
: things up. There's no secret list you have to be on - you just have to get
: lucky, unfortunately."

I purposely tried to get foreigners to this one. We had two folks from England, two from Sweden, one from Canada and the rest from all parts of the USA. A fun time had by all!

: I guess posting/spamming more on HBO, thus getting my name out there, might
: help.

Yep. :) At this point, for me at least, I'll invite you into my home if I feel there's something I'll get back from it: good memories of familiar internet names being finally attached to a physical presence. Good gaming as well, of course.

That applies to a LAN party, not a fanfest, which by its nature is meant to be more open door. I expect Bungie will continue their tradition of Fanfests during E3. Just keep your eyes peeled around that time.

: Or, if I'd noticed this post four years ago, that might have been my path
: to a Bungie.org party.

Lophan's a busy man nowadays with family and work. That would've been a dead-end. :)

: Then there was the Pillar of Art Gallery Showing; wasn't that open to the
: public, so it was sort of a fanfest?

Yes it was kinda, but the only gaming was again Halo, so really it was more a LAN party. Seats were pretty limited. And it ended badly, so it started my 'souring' of the whole 'let anyone come' LAN parties.

- M

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Boycott the Pfhorums.RyokoTK 8/24/05 6:33 p.m.
     I'll say this.Me_43 8/24/05 9:03 p.m.
           Re: I'll say this.RyokoTK 8/25/05 5:17 a.m.
                 Re: I'll say this.Bob-B-Q 8/25/05 5:36 a.m.
                       Re: I'll say this.Andrew Nagy 8/25/05 1:17 p.m.
                             Re: I'll say this.Reiginko 8/25/05 9:22 p.m.
                                   Re: I'll say this.Reiginko 8/26/05 2:43 a.m.
                                   Re: I'll say this.Andrew Nagy 8/29/05 4:38 p.m.
                                         Re: I'll say this.Miguel Chavez 9/5/05 8:04 p.m.
                                               Re: I'll say this.Bob-B-Q 9/6/05 4:38 a.m.
                                               Re: I'll say this.Vid Boi 9/6/05 9:47 a.m.
                 Re: I'll say this.Johannes Gunnar 8/25/05 10:10 a.m.
     Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.treellama 8/25/05 1:50 p.m.
           Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.RyokoTK 8/25/05 2:59 p.m.
                 Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.treellama 8/26/05 9:17 a.m.
                       Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.Bob-B-Q 8/26/05 10:42 a.m.
           Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.Johannes Gunnar 8/26/05 1:33 a.m.
                 Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.blake37 8/26/05 3:37 a.m.
                       Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.RyokoTK 8/26/05 4:15 a.m.
                             Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.Mark Evans 8/26/05 4:39 a.m.
                                   Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.Mark Evans 8/26/05 4:41 a.m.
                                         Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.RyokoTK 8/26/05 7:14 a.m.
                                               Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.Mark Evans 8/26/05 6:21 p.m.
     Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.reagan64 w/ deleted cookies and lost pword 8/26/05 10:42 a.m.
           Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.Reiginko 8/26/05 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.reagan64 w/ deleted cookies and lost pword 8/27/05 5:53 a.m.
                       Re: Boycott the Pfhorums.Reiginko 8/27/05 7:07 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.