/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Internal technological retconning - do you?
Posted By: Andrew NagyDate: 8/24/05 12:22 p.m.

In Response To: Internal technological retconning - do you? (Scumbag)

I always figured that the "easy-to-manufacture chips" in Mjolnir cyborgs' brains allowed them to think and process information very quickly. You can flip through a 7-page message in under a second and scan* every word, instead of waiting for someone to finish talking.

On the other hand, sometimes it would be useful to tell a cyborg something without waiting for him to look at you. "Get to the bridge, we're under attack!"

I imagine there are also psychological reasons to not give mission briefings in text. You want to avoid exactly the atmosphere of loneliness, abandonment, and decrepit technology that makes M1 so memorable.

On yet another hand, if you're hiding in a foxhole out in the Lh'owon desert, or in a ship/base with enemies patrolling just outside the door, you want to avoid making any sound.

We don't think Leela in M1 knew about any cyborg speed-reading abilities. But maybe there's some explanation involving power and bandwidth conservation, or primary systems being knocked out by the DMP. And maybe the UESC didn't want to spend the money to put speakers in every corridor.

The point is, there are various situations where it might be logical for Marathon 4 to still have terminals. Also, "retconning" is a silly word.

To go back and look at the question, I don't think I usually imagine voices for the characters. Maybe occasionally, but I don't have a single consistent notion of what Durandal should look or sound like.

* How fast would you have to read before your apparently-human eyeballs overheated? Or do you have some futuristic digital eye that can take a snapshot of the whole page at once?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Internal technological retconning - do you?Scumbag 8/23/05 7:33 p.m.
     Re: Internal technological retconning - do you?Forrest of B.org 8/23/05 7:40 p.m.
           Re: Internal technological retconning - do you?blake37 8/24/05 2:38 a.m.
                 Re: Internal technological retconning - do you?Vid Boi 8/24/05 2:52 a.m.
                       Re: Internal technological retconning - do you?blake37 8/24/05 2:57 a.m.
     Re: Internal technological retconning - do you?Andrew Nagy 8/24/05 12:22 p.m.
           Re: Internal technological retconning - do you?Reiginko 8/25/05 6:04 a.m.
                 Aieee! they burn! My eyes! *NM*blake37 8/25/05 6:23 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.