/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

November Progress (long)
Posted By: TylerDate: 8/16/05 7:51 p.m.

Hello everyone. About two months ago I said I would try and have some visual content of my scenario I decided to start called November. I do not seek help from anyone at this moment, frankly this projects going slow.

I do not have any maps 100% complete or even playable. I'm still learning tricks in Forge and Anvil, mainly trying to get my hand at making real nice work while using 256 colour. I'm trying to make something as visualy decent as Marathon RED (I won't actualy use content from RED, mind you) but I want it to look as nice as that.
I'm having trouble coming up with a good storyline without it having to be broken into sequels given the Marathon's engine limitations. I actualy plan on making ONE prelude to it, where it'd be sort of a Starship Alcatraz kind of story (crap, said too much), that would lead up to the actual game. I'll tell you at the end of this post the basic story leading up to it.
Along with not being able to come up with a straight story, I'm having trouble coming up with the characters. Although I have a plan on naming an A.I. Vincent, I'm still having trouble making characters that would progress the story.
I also have plans for the characters. All the weapons have been sketched out and will be made eventualy. I won't give a huge list here, mind you. Maybe later…
I also have NO IDEA how to code the game. I may need someone to help me with coding it, but not right now. Still working out bugs.

My main reason for not having a lot of content to show you (other than that design idea for the main character I slapped 'Fobot' onto) is because I've been playing various PS2 and Mac games to see what made them popular. I've also taken akin to looking at some Sci Fi books (Convergent Series, Ring World, Ship who Sang, etc) to get some ideas.
Another reason is that I can get easily distracted… or would it be considered influenced. I pick up something like a can opener or a memory chip (i have a Transcend Vers. 1.1 64MB E4 one here that i toy with) and think of how it would be as a starship; where would the warp naceles and plasma conduits be, living quarters, etc. This would give me ideas, altering how I'd make the final version of the story. So its constantly changing.

So you see. I'm still working on it, but don't fully plan on seeing this in the near future. If I gave your hopes up (I seriously doubt it) then I apologise. But do plan on seeing some updates in the future. I promise i will have some content in the future one way or the other.

Since I'm having trouble with the story, I'll share one idea being tossed around and see what you think.

---<17.10.2073>---
Earth finaly colonizes the moon. People begin living in Pressure Domes on Luna Station. This technology soon spreads to places like Mars. Space Shuttle speeds have increased rapidly and can reach the moon in a matter of minutes.

---<14.02.2074>---
Mars colony begins teraforming process. Estimated time until Earth like enviroment will be about 72 years at the least. Pressure domes are placed and excavation teams make sweeps of surround areas. Three teams consisting of four memebers weren't heard from again. A mystery in time was born…

---<06.03.2107>---
Martian colonies on Mars start to break apart from Earth government. Many debates are held. A Cold war breaks. Small agencies on Mars attempt to assassinate UTG council. Two sniper failures until they bombed it, killing almost a thousand people including nearby citivilians. Cyborgs were considered by the UNAG and UEC to infiltrate Mars colonies and destroy pressure domes. Eventualy scraped because of lack of technologyto do it, and human rights laws would have been broken, thus exposing poor government.

---<07.07.2117>---
After ten years the Cold war ends, in the only way possible : "If you can't beat them, join them." The Unified Interplanetary Council is formed and Mars becomes a Soverign Colony with it's own government. Became a tourist destination months later. Defenses were still active.

---<11.09.2152>---
Mars Teraforming project complete, and people can walk on it without any form of suits or oxygen supplies. Although it's main weakness is thinner atmosphere which would thicken overtime, still habitable. Starship project between UIC and MMC began. Two flagships were built, the UISC November and the UISC Validus. The Validus was a military operations ship for Sol System defense incase of any trouble had to be taken care of. The November was a luxury ship. While it had the same design schematics at the Validus, it was built for luxury than for war. Many rooms in the Validus were for weaponry and military operations, in the November paralel it was a luxury room or had some purpose that wasn't agressive. it still had minimal defense. Laser technology was also at it'd peak with Fusion torpedos and laser canons. Each ship also had a similar power source: a special mineral found on Mars called G-21469.47A-B7, or "Hrimfaxi crystals" for short. Each managed to disperse a lot of energy with minimal charges.

---<21.09.2156>---
UISC Validus launched with 32,000 military personel, 178 crew and 14 leading officers including four admirals. High end weapons were equipped including Fusion Torpedos and Type IV Laser canons. It patrols in a spiral around the system and goes back to Earth for refueling and restocking supplies.

---<11.11.2156>---
UISC November launched with 24,000 tourists, and 154 crew, and seven main officers. First course plotted was to loop around each planet starting from Jupiter and end up and stay at the Kuiper belt for a few days.

---<14.03.2186>---
Strange asteroid heads towards Earth. Orbital research station/Prison Alcon receives it after Validus picks it up for further studies (Alcon is a orbital prison and a scientific research station. Where else to find excelent lab rats?). 93 hours later the orbital station literaly dispears without a trace.

---<07.07.2243>---
Validus makes rounds to Tau Ceti (surprise) for experimental artifical wormhole project from Earth to Tau CEti and Alpha Centauri. Alcon station is found here. but with many changes since last seen. Taken aboard Validus for further study.

And here my friends… is where the adventure begins… I won't give anymore away…

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

November Progress (long)Tyler 8/16/05 7:51 p.m.
     Re: November Progress (long)goran 8/17/05 1:31 a.m.
           Re: November Progress (long)Scott Noblitt 8/17/05 6:48 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.