/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Original weapon names
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 5/25/05 11:40 a.m.

In Response To: Renaming a Sigma weapon (Simon//Sigma)

This reminds me of something I wanted to ask you guys about and forgot to...

Are the weapon names in Eternal too bland?

I used to have an assortment of interesting acronym names similar to the original Marathon weapons planned (a ROZT rocket pack/flamethrower, for instance), but when I went with the Haydon Pfhor weapon theme, the only interesting weapon names left were the Cronus-class and Ouranus-class fusion weapons (which were easy derivatives from the Zeus-class fusion pistol).

In Eternal X, I've already renamed the Pfhor Flamethrower to the "N-Cannon" as the Pfhor apparently call it (from the Thing What Kicks term pic on All Roads Lead To Sol). The Scattergun is kind of an original name, but still a bit too descriptive, not properly a name. The unnamed Jjaro weapon from Mk V has been renamed the "Zero Cannon", and has a complement the "Zero Blade" (both referring to their power source, utilizing 'zero-point' or 'vacuum' energy), but those names are basically descriptive too; they work for short names, like "Fusion Pistol" and "Fusion Cannon" do, but do they need a more unique longer name?

The weapons as they will be in X, are:

Fighter's shock staff (no proper name)
Trooper's assault rifle (no proper name)
M1 Enforcer's scatter weapon (no proper name)
M2 Enforcer's flame weapon ("N-Cannon"?)
Fusion Pistol ("Cronus-class Fusion Pistol")
Fusion Cannon ("Ouranus-class Fusion Cannon")
S'pht orb weapon (no proper name)
Zero Cannon (no proper name)
Zero Blade (no proper name)

I'm thinking for the Pfhor weapons, calling them "[something]-rank [descriptive name]", using the rank names given to the Pfhor in Infinity. But what are those ranks, and how do they correspond to the types of Pfhor? On a related note, I'm considering calling the M1 and M2 "Enforcers" different classes of the same subspecies, like Fighters and Troopers; one (M1 style) is for slave and crowd control, a command officer, and the other (M2) style is more of a field officer. What rank names should I give them?

So, that would cover the five Pfhor weapons, but what of the S'pht weapon and the two Jjaro weapons? Any suggestions for them?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Renaming a Sigma weaponSimon//Sigma 5/25/05 3:33 a.m.
     MA-79 Wave Rifle *NM*Andromeda_5[Kilo] 5/25/05 6:13 a.m.
     Re: Renaming a Sigma weaponBob-B-Q 5/25/05 10:20 a.m.
     Original weapon namesForrest of B.org 5/25/05 11:40 a.m.
           Re: Original weapon namesRyokoTK 5/25/05 11:53 a.m.
                 Re: Original weapon namesForrest of B.org 5/25/05 2:56 p.m.
                       Re: Original weapon namesRyokoTK 5/25/05 2:57 p.m.
                             Re: Original weapon namesForrest of B.org 5/25/05 5:23 p.m.
                                   Re: Original weapon namesRyokoTK 5/25/05 6:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Original weapon namesForrest of B.org 5/25/05 9:04 p.m.
           Re: Original weapon namesAndromeda_5[Kilo] 5/25/05 2:24 p.m.
           Re: Original weapon namesLuke9 5/25/05 2:51 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.