/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Bingo.
Posted By: Claude ErreraDate: 5/12/05 5:00 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Yes... and no. (tom)

: Claiming that the amount of story support is more or less complex by an order
: of magnitude is disingenuous. Most of the Marathon backstory has been
: interpreted, and thus created by the fans. How much of Gheritt White, or
: simulacrums, or rampancy, or the W'rkncacnter, or the Jjaro, or latin
: text, or any of that stuff has ever been commented on, much less
: confirmed, by Bungie? Yeah, those things are "in the game," as
: you say, but their meaning, importance, and interpretation have all come
: from the fans.

Yep. This is EXACTLY what I meant.

: If there were a Halo community that cared to analyze the visual details of
: that game as thoroughly as Marathon fans have done to the textual details
: of theirs, you'd find that the depth of the stories are comparable. That
: level of analysis doesn't happen in the Halo community, and it certainly
: doesn't happen here , so the comparison of complexity is pointless.

Ooh, you're wrong about that. ;)

There are some MASSIVE (hundreds of posts long) threads on our forum, discussing the physical features of UNSC ships, and what they tell us about the society that created them. Hundreds of posts devoted to Forerunner architecture, and what it might say about the creatures that built it. Speculation about species biology and morphology based on external indicators (and some internal ones, after you blow them to bits).

A short scene in the limited edition dvd (cut from the final game) contained several tablets showing the history of the Covenant. They were never really commented on by Bungie, but some fans blew them up, cleaned them up, colored them... and then hundreds of people tossed in speculation about what they meant, and how you could tie bits of them into the game itself (on an abstract level; stuff like species development speed based on who was fighting whom with what).

There's PLENTY of visual analysis of in-game clues, and I'll agree with tom - it's EASILY as relevant as most of the terminal text.

: I'm not saying that the Marathon story isn't as intricately developed and
: well-conceived as the readers and collaborators here think it is. I'm
: saying that without giving Halo 10+ years of the level of analysis and
: interpretation this site is famed for, you can't compare the two with
: any accuracy.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Question...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 5/3/05 3:52 p.m.
     Yes. Covenentluke9 5/3/05 3:59 p.m.
           Re: Yes. CovenentJohn Molloy 7/20/05 4:32 p.m.
                 Re: Yes. CovenentYossarian 7/20/05 7:15 p.m.
                       Re: Yes. CovenentJohn Molloy 7/20/05 7:32 p.m.
                             Re: Yes. CovenentYossarian 7/20/05 7:54 p.m.
     Re: Question...•M 5/3/05 4:01 p.m.
           Re: Question...Bob-B-Q 5/3/05 5:56 p.m.
                 Re: Question...Johannes Gunnar 5/3/05 10:54 p.m.
                       *Waits for Forrest to show up* *NM*Reiginko 5/4/05 4:12 a.m.
                             Re: *Waits for Forrest to show up*Forrest of B.org 5/4/05 8:14 a.m.
                                   Re: *Waits for Forrest to show up*John Molloy 7/20/05 4:39 p.m.
                                         Re: *Waits for Forrest to show up*Forrest of B.org 7/20/05 4:52 p.m.
                                               Re: *Waits for Forrest to show up*John Molloy 7/20/05 5:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: *Waits for Forrest to show up*Yossarian 7/20/05 7:12 p.m.
                                                           Re: *Waits for Forrest to show up*John Molloy 7/20/05 7:26 p.m.
                                   Perhaps there's still a hopemaxbz 7/26/05 1:00 p.m.
                                         Re: Perhaps there's still a hopeJohannes Gunnar 7/26/05 1:44 p.m.
                                               Re: Perhaps there's still a hopeblake37 7/26/05 2:44 p.m.
                                         Re: Perhaps there's still a hopeLegacyTyphoon 7/28/05 1:08 p.m.
                                               Re: Perhaps there's still a hopeJohannes Gunnar 7/29/05 3:56 a.m.
                       Foe Hammer is Gandalf's sword! *NM*ukimalefu 5/4/05 5:45 p.m.
     Not a sequel - an updated, dumbed down Marathon *NM*Steve Levinson 5/4/05 4:16 a.m.
     Re: Question...Mister Chief 5/7/05 3:14 p.m.
           Re: Question...Mister Chief 5/7/05 3:16 p.m.
                 Re: Question...luke9 5/7/05 6:27 p.m.
                 I guess I'll chime in on thisSteve Levinson 5/8/05 4:23 a.m.
                       *solemnly nods in agreement* *NM*Yossarian 5/8/05 5:53 a.m.
                       Aye. Full agreement here. *NM*luke9 5/8/05 9:40 a.m.
                       OH MY GODVid Boi 5/9/05 12:31 a.m.
                             Maybe not, sounds more like a MicroSoft thing :-) *NM*D-M.A. 5/9/05 12:51 a.m.
                       Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisMister Chief 5/9/05 6:38 a.m.
                             Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisAndromeda_5[Kilo] 5/9/05 6:49 a.m.
                                   Ugh, you sound like ForceMorph! *NM*Bob-B-Q 5/9/05 7:12 a.m.
                                   Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisDeathmonger 5/9/05 8:59 a.m.
                                         My thoughts exactly... *NM*Bob-B-Q 5/9/05 10:13 a.m.
                                         Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisMister Chief 5/12/05 8:29 a.m.
                                               Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisSteve Levinson 5/12/05 1:45 p.m.
                                                     Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisReiginko 5/14/05 5:39 a.m.
                       Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisForrest of B.org 5/9/05 7:50 a.m.
                             Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisNick Hoad 5/9/05 12:40 p.m.
                                   Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisForrest of B.org 5/9/05 2:46 p.m.
                                         Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisAndromeda_5[Kilo] 5/9/05 5:11 p.m.
                                               Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisForrest of B.org 5/9/05 8:09 p.m.
                                                     Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisReiginko 5/9/05 9:13 p.m.
                                                           Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisVid Boi 5/10/05 4:56 a.m.
                                                           Give me a break! *NM*Steve Levinson 5/12/05 1:49 p.m.
                       Yes... and no.Claude Errera 5/10/05 5:16 a.m.
                             Re: Yes... and no.Kanen Faud'r 5/10/05 6:45 a.m.
                                   Re: Yes... and no. Indeedukimalefu 5/10/05 7:25 p.m.
                                         Re: Yes... and no. IndeedReiginko 5/10/05 10:00 p.m.
                                   Re: Yes... and no.tom 5/11/05 9:12 a.m.
                                         Bingo.Claude Errera 5/12/05 5:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Bingo.tom 5/13/05 9:09 a.m.
                                   Re: Yes... and no.Claude Errera 5/12/05 5:05 a.m.
                       Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisBrian Wise 5/12/05 9:34 p.m.
                             Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisJoBar 6/5/05 5:45 a.m.
                                   Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisAdam Ashwell 6/5/05 6:28 a.m.
                                         Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisJoBar 6/6/05 4:36 p.m.
                                               Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisKyjel 6/6/05 5:01 p.m.
                                                     Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisForrest of B.org 6/7/05 8:16 a.m.
                                                           Re: I guess I'll chime in on thisAdam Ashwell 6/7/05 9:52 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I guess I'll chime in on thiseMCee 7/19/05 9:35 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.