/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Speaking of MIDIs...
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 4/26/05 5:26 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Speaking of MIDIs... (Craig Hardgrove)

: Thats actually kinda interesting... when you use Marathon Music Exploder and
: then try and play (in Quicktime) the .midis that come out, your computer
: uses the most recent Quicktime MIDI music instrument set, the one that
: comes with OS X or your OS of choice, to play them. When Apple changed the
: MIDI instrument set that came with the version of Quicktime that shipped
: with Marathon, it screwed up the way the Marathon .midis sound when you
: play them in Quicktime.

: When I exported them to .movs it seemed to maintan the original sound of the
: soundtrack that shipped with Marathon in 1994. I'm not sure if thats just
: my imagination or something else, but to me the .movs sound a lot like the
: originals sounded while I was playing the game.

: So anyway, thats why I have .movs on my site. Anyone with more knowledge than
: me is welcome to let me know if I'm crazy about them sounding more
: original then .midis.

So how exactly did you export them to MOVs? Exploder exports MIDIs, which play in your MIDI player (like QuickTime) with whatever instrument set its set to (like QTMI). Did you then convert those MIDIs into sampled audio in MOV files as played with the QuickTime 2 instrument set (which original Marathon used)? And why MOV then, instead of just some audio format (WAV, AIFF, MP3, etc)?

I've personally always been sad that some MOD-type format (perhaps something more standard, based off of MIDI) never took off. MOD, for those who don't know, was multitrack music like a MIDI file, basically "digital sheet music" that just says what notes to play with what instruments when, for how long, how loud, etc... but unlike MIDI, MOD had embedded instrument samples in the file. That way MOD files aren't dependant on you having an appropriately instrument set with your player; the player just plays the instruments built into the file when the music tracks in the same file tell it to.

By analogy, MIDI is like an HTML file marking where to put a bunch of JPEGs, and presuming you have all the right JPEGs to make the site look right... while MOD is the HTML file, WITH the JPEGs included. Which one makes more sense, really?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDICraig Hardgrove 4/21/05 3:29 p.m.
     Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDIEnder 4/21/05 4:37 p.m.
           Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDIForrest of B.org 4/21/05 7:46 p.m.
                 Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDICraig Hardgrove 4/21/05 8:45 p.m.
                       Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDIukimalefu 4/21/05 9:32 p.m.
                             Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDICraig Hardgrove 4/22/05 3:37 a.m.
                                   Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDIEnkidu 4/22/05 3:41 a.m.
                                         Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDICraig Hardgrove 4/22/05 5:01 a.m.
                                   By the way...Vid Boi 4/24/05 1:42 p.m.
                                         Re: By the way...Forrest of B.org 4/24/05 5:11 p.m.
                                               Re: By the way...ukimalefu 4/24/05 6:33 p.m.
                                                     Speaking of MIDIs...Deathmonger 4/24/05 7:05 p.m.
                                                           Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Craig Hardgrove 4/24/05 8:32 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Deathmonger 4/26/05 12:15 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Craig Hardgrove 4/26/05 3:07 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Forrest of B.org 4/26/05 5:26 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Vid Boi 4/26/05 10:43 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Craig Hardgrove 4/27/05 4:20 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Vid Boi 4/27/05 11:42 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Craig Hardgrove 5/17/05 10:02 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Johannes Gunnar 5/18/05 6:45 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Vid Boi 5/18/05 8:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Speaking of MIDIs...Craig Hardgrove 5/18/05 11:18 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Speaking of MIDIs...buh 7/11/05 4:24 a.m.
                                                                                                     What music?Steve Levinson 7/11/05 4:50 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: What music?buh 7/11/05 8:08 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: What music?Johannes Gunnar 7/11/05 9:25 a.m.
                                                     Excellent! *NM*Vid Boi 4/26/05 7:37 a.m.
     Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDID-M.A. 4/21/05 9:25 p.m.
     Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDIKeith Palmer 4/22/05 12:13 p.m.
     Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDIredmage13 7/11/05 1:43 p.m.
           Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDIJohannes Gunnar 7/11/05 3:51 p.m.
                 Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDIblake37 7/11/05 5:38 p.m.
                 Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDIredmage13 7/12/05 8:10 a.m.
                       Re: Acoustically Leela -- but still MIDIJohannes Gunnar 7/12/05 8:42 a.m.
                       Tabs are back up!!!Johannes Gunnar 7/12/05 3:21 p.m.
                             Re: Tabs are back up!!!Redmage13 7/12/05 6:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Tabs are back up!!!Johannes Gunnar 7/13/05 1:04 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.