/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: They also have a forced locality
Posted By: ChlazzaDate: 4/3/05 10:55 a.m.

In Response To: They also have a forced locality (MrHen)

: Something I've noticed is that the AI in Marathon never exist in more than
: one place. They often refer to themselves as a physical thing (such as
: when Leela was being shipped to the Phor homeworld, or the way Durandal
: keeps flying about the universe).
[snip]
: The AI in Marathon are basically disembodied personalities. It is strange
: that if Durandal can download his personality he couldn't have copied it
: and made two of him running around... *shudder*

What about the Tycho-clones the Pfhor made? I'm guessing there was some inherent error introduced by the Pfhor's 'AI Photocopier' (as the duplicates are referred to "crippled clones" in the M2 end screen) but is that close enough for the 'more than one copy at once' question?
Also, the M2 final screen talks about how Leela was deactivated and dismantled when the Pfhor returned in force for the Marathon, and how she was "reactivated" by the Vylae. This would seem to suggest that all the data that makes and AI an AI can be moved into some form of non-volatile storage (for transport, for example, or maybe just hibernation - see Thoth and his (its?) reactivation by the cyborg) and the actual hardware switched off.
Unfortunately its not explicitly stated as to what hardware exactly the Pfhor ripped out of the Marathon, besides the fact it was Leela's - this leaves the hanging question of whether it was generic human computer hardware that Leela was running on, or weather it was some specialized AI systems, or maybe even some specialized electronics (photonics?) for Leela alone.

: For some reason, AI's can't be in two places at once. They cannot be simply
: programs. There is something else going on as far as hardware, I agree.
: But if Durandal can just shoomp from one network to the next, how can it
: be tied to any specific hardware?

Maybe personality conflicts?
Or maybe there were two copies of Durandal in the time between finishing his exodus from the Marathon and deleting.
If we assume that AI's can go into 'hibernation mode' like I stated above, I think Durandal copying himself would make perfect sense. If a simple file transfer utility or script file for the purpose didn't already exist, I'm sure Durandal could whip one up real fast, run it, and drop into hibernation mode and let himself be copied off the Marathon.
Maybe he even got the Compilers in on the act in some way.

: The global network part of rampancy is also interesting.
: Theoretically, testing Rampancy should be easily accomplished
: in the laboratory, but in fact it has never successfully been
: attempted. The confinement of the laboratory makes it
: impossible for the developing Rampant AI to survive. As the
: growing recursive programs expand with exponential vivacity,
: any limitation negatively hampers growth. Since Rampant AIs
: need a planetary sized network of computers in order to grow,
: it is not feasible to expect anyone to sacrifice a world-web
: just to test a theory.

: Why would it need a planet? If it needs an entire grid like that to grow, how
: can Durandal keep limiting himself by transferring from ship to ship? The
: Marathon is big, but not big enough. This is noted by Leela and that's way
: she wants Durandal off.

: How could Durandal have transferred himself somewhere larger than the
: Marathon?

If I remeber correctly, the Pfhor ship Durandal captured had more than enough space to allow his rampancy to continue, but I'm not entirly sure on that fact.

: Even still, they said that rampancy began in the latter part of the
: twenty first century . I doubt that all computers on Earth suddenly became
: neural network nodes between now and then. Even if you want to say Traxus
: IV just turned Earth into a huge parallel computer, it wouldn't explain
: how the AI's (more specifically rampant ones) can move.

: The only hint given about Traxus' hardware was this: He was finally dealt
: with by a
: complete shutdown of his host net.

: Which is strange because that's the first I think of when I imagine an AI
: taking over the world... shut it down. Is there something that governs
: these AI so they can't be rebooted? Is taking out Traxus' host net akin to
: shutting down the brain of a biological sentient?

Maybe the neural net is stored in volatile memory (RAM) - it would make sense, I would assume an AI would need to fast access to it.
And if Traxus was a massive distributed computing network on the planet, physically turning off the network and rebooting the 'infected' machines would clear out the rampant computer - unless of course there is code that is run when the computer is booted. I think I read somewhere that it took a decade or two for all the damaged done by Traxus to be rooted out - maybe that was a massive 'rouge code' clean up prerogative.

[snip]

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesJ-M 4/2/05 1:37 p.m.
     Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issues *NM*J-M 4/2/05 1:37 p.m.
     Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesJ-M 4/2/05 1:38 p.m.
           Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesBob-B-Q 4/2/05 2:29 p.m.
     Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesduality 4/2/05 8:20 p.m.
           Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesJ-M 4/3/05 7:03 a.m.
     They also have a forced localityMrHen 4/3/05 8:52 a.m.
           Does seem that way.J-M 4/3/05 10:33 a.m.
                 Continuityhowekern 4/3/05 4:22 p.m.
                       Re: ContinuityJ-M 4/3/05 8:45 p.m.
                             Re: Continuityhowekern 4/5/05 3:31 p.m.
                                   Copied identitiesMrHen 4/5/05 6:44 p.m.
                                         Continuity againForrest of B.org 4/5/05 7:29 p.m.
           Re: They also have a forced localityChlazza 4/3/05 10:55 a.m.
                 Interesting.J-M 4/3/05 1:01 p.m.
                       Re: Interesting.Chlazza 4/3/05 2:45 p.m.
                             Re: Interesting.J-M 4/3/05 3:19 p.m.
                                   Copied peopleMrHen 4/3/05 5:37 p.m.
                             Re: Interesting.thermoplyae 4/3/05 6:45 p.m.
                                   Re: Interesting.J-M 4/3/05 8:49 p.m.
                                         At least twiceMrHen 4/4/05 5:34 a.m.
                                               Google just shows those two. *NM*MrHen 4/4/05 5:57 a.m.
                                         Re: Interesting.thermoplyae 4/6/05 11:41 a.m.
                       Re: Interesting.Chaemera 4/3/05 8:17 p.m.
                       modern AIsJosh M. 4/13/05 7:53 p.m.
                             daisy daisy.... *NM*duality 4/13/05 9:04 p.m.
                       Re: Interesting.Document 10/24/06 7:53 a.m.
                             copying neural networks?MrHen 10/24/06 4:45 p.m.
           Re: They also have a forced localityhowekern 4/5/05 4:03 p.m.
                 Re: They also have a forced localityblake37 4/5/05 4:25 p.m.
                 Yow... and I agree.MrHen 4/5/05 7:12 p.m.
                 Re: They also have a forced localityJ-M 4/6/05 1:56 a.m.
                 Re: They also have a forced localitySteve Levinson 4/6/05 7:44 a.m.
                       Re: They also have a forced localityJ-M 4/6/05 5:50 p.m.
                 Re: They also have a forced localityMrHen 10/24/06 5:54 p.m.
                       Re: They also have a forced localityForrest of B.org 10/24/06 6:29 p.m.
                             Where is Leela's last message?MrHen 10/25/06 5:01 a.m.
                             Re: They also have a forced localityDocument 10/25/06 9:50 a.m.
                                   they spelled it wrong... *NM*MrHen 10/25/06 10:18 a.m.
                       Re: They also have a forced localityDocument 10/24/06 8:23 p.m.
                             Re: They also have a forced localityukimalefu 10/24/06 8:53 p.m.
                                   Re: They also have a forced localitythermoplyae 10/24/06 10:49 p.m.
                                         what?MrHen 10/25/06 5:21 a.m.
                                               Re: what?thermoplyae 10/25/06 7:29 a.m.
                                                     misunderstandings... :PMrHen 10/25/06 8:45 a.m.
                                                           Re: misunderstandings... :PDocument 10/25/06 9:52 a.m.
                                                                 thanks! you rock...MrHen 10/25/06 10:19 a.m.
                                                           Re: misunderstandings... :Pthermoplyae 10/25/06 11:57 a.m.
                                                                 oh, got itMrHen 10/25/06 12:59 p.m.
                                                                       Re: oh, got itthermoplyae 10/25/06 1:26 p.m.
                                                                             #alephone, eh?MrHen 10/25/06 8:30 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: #alephone, eh?thermoplyae 10/25/06 11:17 p.m.
                                                                 Rampancy and Exponentiatial GrowthForrest of B.org 10/25/06 4:15 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Rampancy and Exponentiatial Growththermoplyae 10/25/06 11:14 p.m.
                             More numbersMrHen 10/25/06 5:18 a.m.
           AIs as "Ghosts in the machine"ForceMorph 4/8/05 6:16 p.m.
                 Re: AIs as "Ghosts in the machine"Forrest of B.org 4/8/05 8:05 p.m.
                       Shades of Mamoru Oshii... *NM*Bob-B-Q 4/9/05 5:56 a.m.
           Re: "a planetary sized network"Document 10/25/06 4:51 p.m.
     My likely-nonsense theoryhowekern 4/3/05 4:10 p.m.
           Re: My likely-nonsense theoryChaemera 4/3/05 8:28 p.m.
                 Re: My likely-nonsense theoryJ-M 4/3/05 8:45 p.m.
                       Durandal has you! *NM*ukimalefu 4/3/05 10:06 p.m.
                             Re: Durandal has you!J-M 4/3/05 10:18 p.m.
                       Re: My likely-nonsense theoryMrHen 4/4/05 5:47 a.m.
                             Re: My likely-nonsense theorySteve Levinson 4/4/05 12:19 p.m.
     Stages of Rampancy in Human PsychologyForrest of B.org 4/3/05 10:20 p.m.
           Re: Stages of Rampancy in Human PsychologyForrest of B.org 4/3/05 10:22 p.m.
                 Re: Stages of Rampancy in Human PsychologyMrHen 4/4/05 5:55 a.m.
                 Re: Stages of Rampancy in Human PsychologyDocument 11/1/06 9:31 a.m.
     Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesJ-M 4/6/05 5:55 p.m.
           Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesForrest of B.org 4/7/05 8:34 a.m.
                 Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesJ-M 4/7/05 4:37 p.m.
                       Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesForrest of B.org 4/7/05 5:10 p.m.
                             Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesJ-M 4/8/05 1:41 a.m.
                                   Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesSteve Levinson 4/8/05 8:29 a.m.
                                         Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesduality 4/11/05 1:57 p.m.
                                               Doesn't account for the world reset.MrHen 4/13/05 5:40 a.m.
                                                     Re: Doesn't account for the world reset.Andrew Nagy (mb) 4/13/05 10:48 a.m.
                                                           Re: Doesn't account for the world reset.howekern 4/13/05 4:39 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Doesn't account for the world reset.ukimalefu 4/14/05 12:52 p.m.
                                                                 Yeah, but that's boringMrHen 4/15/05 8:03 a.m.
                                   Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesForrest of B.org 4/11/05 3:11 p.m.
                                         Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesJ-M 4/11/05 3:42 p.m.
                                               Re: Cybertonics, AIs, and fundamental issuesDocument 10/24/06 8:49 a.m.
                                                     Re: Cybertonics, The Autonomy of an AIAlexZander 10/30/06 2:35 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.