/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Forgive me for being cynical...
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 3/14/05 11:30 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Forgive me for being cynical... (Johannes Gunnar)

: play with 2-100 players, blast each other, do quests and train your
: character... What's the fun about World of Warcraft or Everquest or
: something.. it's a virtual world with LOADS of characters controlled by
: other REAL people... it's a MMORPG Marathon. I am a big roleplayer, play
: Dungeons And Dragons with my group once in a week and have a great time. I
: know there is a marathon GURPS role play around there but with that you
: can't play with as much people as in the Marathon MUD.

: so... Marathon multiplayer normally is fun, if the MUD will be done right it
: will be as fun to (and mb more fun but i doubt that because marathon is a
: masterpiece which hard is to copy) but why wouldn't a marathon mud be fun?
: lack of graphics? (if so.. why are you still playing marathon?)

Marathon MP is totally different from MUD-style play. Marathon MP is fun for the speed, action, reflexes - the audiovisual and tactile interaction with the game. Even if the graphics are primitive by today's standards they are still essential to that gameplay.

Role-play is fun for the storytelling, the character interaction - it's basically a large collaborate writing process where each writer gets to write for one character and the game/GM controls the overall plot, chance events, etc. Unfortunately amongst all the old text-based MMORPG systems (including MUSHes, MUXes, MOOs, etc), MUDs are renowned for degenerating quickly into hack-n-slash combat fests with little interesting character development. They're sort of the Diablo of text-based RPGs - maybe addictive to some but ultimately shallow. That is of course not so much a limitation of the MUD system as just the type of user it used to draw in.

A good Marathon MUD would have to be set in a time/place that would make a bad tradition Marathon scenario. The two game type are anethema to one another. You want a place without constant combat, with motives and possibilities that extend beyond just killing things. Perhaps something set on the Marathon en-route to Tau Ceti, or the seven years of the colony prior to the Pfhor attack? Possibly involving Strauss and whatever his plans were with the Battleroids, whatever sort of coup he may have been planning. Can still involve combat but not outright war, Chockesians can provide cannon fodder to build up combat skills, day-to-day colony life provides you with something to do, and the MIDA espianage(sp?) backstory allows for character growth and a connecting plot arc.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon MUD!!!Johannes Gunnar 3/13/05 4:47 a.m.
     Re: Marathon MUD!!!K-chi 3/13/05 8:02 a.m.
           Squeeee~! *desire* *NM*luke9 3/13/05 8:52 a.m.
                 Forgive me for being cynical...Me_43 3/13/05 8:23 p.m.
                       Nevar!!!!one! *NM*luke9 3/13/05 9:14 p.m.
                       Re: Forgive me for being cynical...Johannes Gunnar 3/13/05 10:36 p.m.
                             Re: Forgive me for being cynical...goran 3/14/05 9:59 a.m.
                                   Re: Forgive me for being cynical...Johannes Gunnar 3/14/05 10:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Forgive me for being cynical...Forrest of B.org 3/14/05 11:30 a.m.
                                               Re: Forgive me for being cynical...Johannes Gunnar 3/14/05 1:57 p.m.
                                               Re: Forgive me for being cynical...thermoplyae 3/14/05 2:04 p.m.
                                         Re: Forgive me for being cynical...canemex 3/26/05 5:34 p.m.
                             Re: Forgive me for being cynical...freakctc79 3/17/05 7:11 a.m.
                       Re: Forgive me for being cynical...K-chi 3/14/05 11:20 a.m.
                             Re: Forgive me for being cynical...thermoplyae 3/14/05 2:02 p.m.
                             Re: Forgive me for being cynical...goran 3/14/05 3:25 p.m.
                             Re: Forgive me for being cynical...Me_43 3/15/05 2:19 a.m.
                                   Re: Forgive me for being cynical...K-chi 3/15/05 2:43 p.m.
                                         Re: Forgive me for being cynical...Me_43 3/15/05 5:00 p.m.
                                               For the record: Looking forward to the MUD :-) *NM*luke9 3/15/05 6:12 p.m.
                                               Re: Forgive me for being cynical...K-chi 3/19/05 1:12 p.m.
                       Re: Forgive me for being cynical...Fatman 3/17/05 6:01 p.m.
                             Re: Forgive me for being cynical...ukimalefu 3/18/05 10:01 p.m.
                                   Re: Forgive me for being cynical...Drinniol 3/19/05 6:03 p.m.
                       UNPFHORGIVEN *NM*duality 3/19/05 7:26 p.m.
           Re: Marathon MUD!!!Drinniol 3/16/05 2:21 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.