/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: It's not a competition! damn it!
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 3/2/05 5:57 a.m.

In Response To: Re: It's not a competition! damn it! (Jorge)

: My vision was to do an updated, cleaned up version of Marathon. To that end,
: I had remastered all of the original sounds in 16 bit audio, cleaned them
: up, enhanced them, etc. etc. etc. Well, that was not what I was told the
: direction of the project would be. They wanted new sounds, that had a
: similarity and feel with the original, but would be original sounds. Well,
: for me, that was the end of my involvement. It was not what I wanted to
: put my time into, nor what I wanted my contribution to be. Sound is very
: important to me, and its contibution to the feel and immersion of a game
: is invaluable. Using new sounds, for me, would mean that I was no longer
: working on recreating Marathon.

I understand where you're coming from, Jorge, but for those of us with a keen musical ear, cleaning up the original sounds is a bit like cleaning up the original textures. You might be able to make them sound better that the originals, but they wouldn't sound real. Just as you can only do so much by taking an original low-res texture, expanding it, interpolating and using edge enhancement, you can't add detail to the existing sounds that wasn't there in the first place. You make make them sound better, but they'll still sound flat. You would have this beautiful new 3D environment and sounds that seem to come out of your speakers - not from the environment itself.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Heaven...sd 2/28/05 9:17 a.m.
     *Drools.*Bob-B-Q 2/28/05 1:56 p.m.
     Ooooh. *NM*K-chi 2/28/05 2:06 p.m.
     Gah, duplication of effort! Cool though. *NM*luke9 2/28/05 3:59 p.m.
           Badass... *NM*Andromeda_5[Kilo] 2/28/05 4:25 p.m.
     More eye candy! please! *NM*ukimalefu 2/28/05 5:15 p.m.
           Re: More eye candy! please!sd 2/28/05 7:36 p.m.
     Re: Heaven...Tycho 3/1/05 7:27 a.m.
           Re: Heaven...Anaphiel 3/1/05 8:20 a.m.
                 Re: Heaven...sd 3/1/05 9:22 a.m.
                       Re: Heaven...Tycho 3/1/05 9:56 a.m.
                             Re: Heaven...Jorge 3/1/05 11:12 a.m.
                                   Re: Heaven...sd 3/1/05 11:20 a.m.
                                   Re: Heaven...Tycho 3/1/05 11:55 a.m.
                             Re: Heaven...sd 3/1/05 11:18 a.m.
                                   Re: Heaven...Tycho 3/1/05 12:03 p.m.
                                         Re: Heaven...Forrest of B.org 3/1/05 12:15 p.m.
                                               Re: Heaven...Tycho 3/1/05 12:24 p.m.
                                                     It's not a competition! damn it!ukimalefu 3/1/05 6:51 p.m.
                                                           Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Jorge 3/2/05 5:43 a.m.
                                                                 Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Steve Levinson 3/2/05 5:57 a.m.
                                                                 Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Tycho 3/2/05 7:33 a.m.
                                                                       Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Malakite 3/2/05 9:07 a.m.
                                                                             Re: It's not a competition! damn it!tcm 3/2/05 9:46 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Malakite 3/2/05 1:23 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: It's not a competition! damn it!tcm 3/3/05 10:43 a.m.
                                                                 Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Forrest of B.org 3/2/05 8:23 a.m.
                                                                 Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Captain Kewl 3/2/05 9:27 a.m.
                                                                       Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Jorge 3/2/05 9:48 a.m.
                                                                             Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Captain Kewl 3/2/05 10:03 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Jorge 3/2/05 12:35 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Steve Levinson 3/3/05 4:31 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Jorge 3/3/05 8:03 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: It's not a competition! damn it!ukimalefu 3/3/05 5:14 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Jorge 3/4/05 4:17 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: It's not a competition! damn it!Steve Levinson 3/4/05 7:24 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.