/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Your Speculations
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/24/05 6:00 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Your Speculations (Andromeda_5[Kilo])

: Do we have any idea what it was that drove S'buth nuts?

Not really, but I invented a couple for Eternal which are based off bits of evidence in Marathon.

In one timeline of Infinity it is implied that Durandal's rampancy has spread to the rest of his S'pht collective and with him in the process of dying they are going mad. This seems to tie in with the S'pht collective nature, and I've postulated that the way a S'pht collective works is that you've got some central intelligence - a S'pht Older or "royalty", an cyborg like the Pfhor used, or an AI like Durandal - which mediates between a bunch of what are essentially independent sensors and information processors without a lot of real personal direction or motivation, though apparently they have emotion.

Then, I extrapolate that, merged with Thoth at the end of Infinity, Durandal has become enlightened, and through the mystical Jjaro technology which Thoth controls, ascends and escapes from the universe. Who else then would inherit his S'pht but S'bhuth? That rampancy could then have spread to S'bhuth...

Then we get into a bit more speculation than thus far entered. In Eternal, I have it written that the Jjaro Cybernetic Junction - the thing inside Battleroids that makes them so special, the thing that lets K'lia fold around the galaxy, the thing that lets the Yrro station trap things in the sun, the "ansible" which Thoth uses to communicate with the S'pht'Kr - is what was used to send the player back to alter history in Infinity. S'bhuth, on K'lia, has access to such a thing, and probably understands it as well as Thoth did. He would effectively be able to travel time and alter history if he so felt like it.

I imagine that, infected by Durandal's rampancy via his S'pht, S'bhuth lost any semblence of balance he may have once had, and amidst the war with the Pfhor, tried to alter history. As I have it written, the W'rkncacnter are essentially failed Jjaro - they are beings which have ascended to the Outside, who have the ability to alter reality and change history, but unlike the Jjaro, they have not taken an enlightened view of this power. Instead of seeing the futility of trying to force one universe or another for personal reasons - the Jjaro do it only for a philosophical cause - the W'rkncacnter become obsessed with forcing their reality to be one way, THEIR way.

On top of that, the mind-boggling picture of multilinear reality, to one accustomed to thinking linearly, will throw anyone reeling into uncertainty. As I said on here before: men fight wars when the foundation of what they consider reality is threatened. I know I myself become violent sometimes when I find myself unable to find any foundation for a belief or a choice. So when one ascends Outside, if they are unable to comprehend reality in a multilinear way, then the plethora of possible linear realities makes it impossible to determine anything... nothing seems real... it'd make a person mad...

And so S'bhuth, awakened by Durandal's rampancy, looked about with new eyes and saw through his Junction reality from Outside, and unable to comprehend it, focused on how to use his power for the benefit of himself and his collective, he went insane, and nearly became a W'rkncacnter.

In Eternal I have him killed before he can cause any real damage, though that also leaves the S'pht collective mad and headless, who in turn must also be put down... which is how mankind winds up nearly losing the war with the Pfhor, in the failed timeline that starts the game.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Your Speculations00110111 2/22/05 5:09 p.m.
     i am destiny. *NM*tcm 2/22/05 5:21 p.m.
     http://marathon.bungie.org/story/ *NM*luke9 2/22/05 6:30 p.m.
     Re: Your SpeculationsForrest of B.org 2/22/05 6:59 p.m.
           Re: Your Speculationstcm 2/23/05 3:47 a.m.
           Re: Your SpeculationsAndromeda_5[Kilo] 2/24/05 5:07 p.m.
                 Re: Your SpeculationsForrest of B.org 2/24/05 6:00 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.