/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternal Mappers
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/20/05 4:00 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Eternal Mappers (Steve Levinson)

: Just for clarification, but is the intent to replace all of the maps in
: Eternal? Not that there were many "wow" moments, but some of the
: existing maps are pretty good. Also, are you implying that you'll be
: replacing or modifying all the textures? I'm just curious. I'm afraid I
: can't really bring any skills to the team, other than my criticism ;^)

Most of the textures have already been revised - they're almost directly swappable for the old ones in the existing maps, for the most part, but they're greatly improved in detail and variety. There's still five color groups in each set, three material types per color, and eight widget types per material - but the widgets are all different in each material, the materials are all much more detailed, and they're not the *same* five colors used in every texture set, though the general pattern is still similar.

The textures are continuing to get small revisions here and there, as I get more input from the mapmakers using them. I think I've found a happy compromise between Chris Lund's unfortunate cycle of revisions and retexturing in the original Rubicon, and my former stonewall "No, the textures are set in stone damnit" attempt to prevent such a thing from the earlier Marks of Eternal.

As for the maps, the original plan was to have them all REVISED, not replaced, but Goran and D.M-A. seem to be able to recreate entirely new maps with significantly more detail, while retaining a similar design and the "wow" parts that people liked from the earlier versions, faster than they could just revise the old ones, and the results are of course better too. So, some maps may just get a lot of revision, but most of them will probably be redone from scratch in a similar design and purpose.

So far Goran has been doing most of the work, and he's got 4 maps done and another underway; Don recently started and has already got one done, one underway, and a nice revision of another map that will probably be scrapped for one made from scratch. OogaBooga is theoretically working as well, we've been having some communications issues (as in not getting each others emails), but hopefully he will start working soon.

Goran is doing Pfhor levels - Don is doing Marathon levels - Ooga will be doing S'pht levels. Don wants to do the Jjaro levels too, but if someone else comes along who wants to do them, I'll let him do so. The only Jjaro levels that Don didn't make already are the two that take place on the surface, "The Incredible Hulk" and "Babylon VII". The success dream levels will also be retextured in the Jjaro set, and possibly enhanced as well, so if someone wants to tackle that they're welcome to do so.

And Steve, your criticism will come in quite handy. I've already got a short list in my head of the people I want to get to really nit-pick at this thing when it's 'done' and all playable, and you're on it. Eternal X will have proper internal betas before it sees a public release.

BTW, apparently you responded to that message I sent out about Ch5 plot revisions, but I didn't get it, just Blayne's response. Think you could send again?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal Mappersgoran 2/20/05 1:02 p.m.
     Re: Eternal MappersSteve Levinson 2/20/05 3:16 p.m.
           Re: Eternal MappersForrest of B.org 2/20/05 4:00 p.m.
                 NO more loops!ukimalefu 2/20/05 4:38 p.m.
                       Re: NO more loops!Steve Levinson 2/20/05 5:20 p.m.
                             Re: NO more loops!Forrest of B.org 2/20/05 5:50 p.m.
                       Re: NO more loops!Forrest of B.org 2/20/05 9:41 p.m.
                             Re: NO more loops!RyokoTK 2/21/05 3:16 a.m.
                                   Re: NO more loops!Steve Levinson 2/21/05 5:57 a.m.
                                         Re: NO more loops!; Or....luke9 2/21/05 8:11 p.m.
                                         Re: NO more loops!Forrest of B.org 2/21/05 8:26 p.m.
                             Re: NO more loops!ukimalefu 2/22/05 7:43 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.