/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Does anybody even know *how* to compile AO?
Posted By: C LundDate: 2/19/05 1:57 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Does anybody even *know* how to compile AO? (Steve Levinson)

: Chris, can you possibly put this on the back burner while you work on the
: more critical aspects of Rubicon X?

The engine *is* the most critical aspect of RX. Without it RX is just a bunch of files.

: The next suggestion is perhaps a bit of sacrilidge, but would you be willing
: to release a version of Rubicon X that is compatible with the existing
: release of AO? I realize that this would preclude using a number of
: enhancements that have already been developed, and you wouldn't be able to
: get rid of some of the more annoying bugs, but isn't a mildly buggy (very
: mildly buggy) release of Rubicon X better than no release?

Yes, I *could* release a version of RX that is 90% of what I want with the current AO engine - with only one kind of fog pr level, tiny terminal screens (I checked the latest release of AO just now - the terminals and HUD still don't fill the screen), shooting slaves, and preference options that let the players screw up more than one aspect of the game. But knowing how real life works, the next release of Rubicon will probably be the last. I'm currently working on at least two other projects and there's no telling what I'll be doing later this year, but I doubt it'll involve Rubicon.

Not only that, but a 90% complete RX on the generic AO would spawn an unholy number of complaints (by email and forum) about the total lack of sound - which would almost certainly be the result with the pref settings that are possible with the current version of AO. People rarely read ReadMe texts.. B/

Besides, the thought of bolting RX onto a generic AO engine sticks in my craw. I want a complete package, like the Infinity version of Rubicon was. "Very mildly buggy"? RX for the present AO engine would just be yet another "Rubicon AO light". Yechh. Also, with a 90% complete RX already out, most players won't bother to download an eventual 1.1 version.

: Have you tried contacting the site admin about this? BTW, I assume you've
: already exhausted the resources for engine development listed on the Open
: Source site. Have you tried to contact Mark? He may not have the time to
: work on AO, but I would think he could walk you through the process of
: compiling it.

I haven't tried contacting Mark since I have the impression he doesn't have time for anything at the moment. Maybe I sohuld give it a try anyway.

However, I have contacted Alexander Strange, and he's being helpful - even though I still can't make it compile ($#%&ing SDL libs*). But the email he sent me after I posted the first message in this thread helped me bring the number of fatal errors down from 40 to "just" 17. (yes, I've downloaded and installed the AO code again)

: No need to give up yet. And maybe a little patience would help?

Oh, I'm patient. I'll just go work on non-RX stuff while I wait for help.. ;)

I haven't given up yet. But at this point there is little I can do on my own except annoy the regulars on this forum.. B/

* You can tell I'm frustrated by the language I'm using.. ;)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Does anybody even *know* how to compile AO?C Lund 2/19/05 8:25 a.m.
     Not I :-( *NM*Forrest of B.org 2/19/05 10:27 a.m.
     Re: Does anybody even *know* how to compile AO?Steve Levinson 2/19/05 12:15 p.m.
           Re: Does anybody even know *how* to compile AO?C Lund 2/19/05 1:57 p.m.
           Re: Does anybody even *know* how to compile AO?C Lund 2/21/05 12:32 a.m.
     for linux... =/ *NM*thermoplyae 2/19/05 1:06 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.