/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: New Red Vs Blue Today
Posted By: Claude ErreraDate: 2/15/05 3:14 p.m.

In Response To: Re: New Red Vs Blue Today (TwelveMotion)

: Thats rediculous, how is a joke like this funny, and who is it funny too? The
: 80% of the population will accept it as a fact, and the other 18% will get
: angry that they didn't do thier research and the remaining 2% will have a
: chuckle and whos expense?

I think you have a slightly warped sense of the community. (Or maybe just the size of it.)

Here's an interesting set of numbers (well, I found them interesting :) ):

The Trilogy Release page was announced here (and on b.org's front page, but nobody reads that any more), and we saw a couple of hundred downloads. That's all from folks reading it on those two pages, plus word-of-mouth.

Three days later, the page got slashdotted. (It also showed up on a bunch of OTHER pages BECAUSE of the /. mention - but I guess that's all part of the /. effect.) We served another 20,000 or so copies in 3 days, and close to 50,000 copies within a 2-week span.

That was about a month ago. Traffic has been steady since then - those first two weeks were close to two terabytes of data, we've served another half-terabyte since then - but on the 14th, the trilogy page got ANOTHER spike. It was only mentioned in one place - Red vs Blue.

Well, we saw over 2000 new downloads in less than 24 hours - a group of people who were NOT part of the fanbase, or even folks who heard about it in passing on sites like /. or MacAddict. These are RvB fans - they're not even, for the most part, mainstream Halo fans; many of them participate ONLY on the RvB site. And yet, there were enough of them who saw Burnie's comment for what it was (a compliment couched as an insult - a standard mode of communication there) who thought it was worth downloading the files to see what this was all about that we saw a spike that was 10x as big as that from the Marathon community and a double-digit percentage of the MASSIVE slashdot/mac/nostalgia influx in mid-January.

Did you even READ Burnie's comment? "It's three games in all, and a really tremendous storyline. I've been playing non-stop since we loaded it on the production computers." Does it really MATTER if he wasn't part of the original community, or that he doesn't know an awful lot about the history of it all - he likes the games, and he got lots of OTHER people to like the games.

And this community, the folks who've stuck with the game for a long time and should know better than ANYONE how good it was, and should be happy that there are others discovering this very fact, can do nothing but sneer at the ignorance displayed in an enthusiastic 'check this out' post. :(

Makes me sad.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

New Red Vs Blue TodayWejam the Carter 2/14/05 10:26 a.m.
     Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayOri 2/14/05 7:14 p.m.
     Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayOri 2/14/05 7:16 p.m.
           Re: New Red Vs Blue Todayukimalefu 2/14/05 7:21 p.m.
                 Re: New Red Vs Blue Todaygodmode 6/3/06 3:09 p.m.
                       (ADMIN) Re: New Red Vs Blue Today Forrest of B.org 6/3/06 11:19 p.m.
                             Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayAndrew Nagy 6/4/06 6:53 a.m.
                                   Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayEnkidu 6/5/06 12:57 p.m.
           Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayDocument 2/15/05 4:26 a.m.
                 Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayOri 2/15/05 5:29 a.m.
                       Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayEnkidu 2/15/05 7:11 a.m.
                             lol *NM*tcm 2/15/05 7:28 a.m.
                             There is no "any" key! *NM*luke9 2/15/05 8:11 a.m.
                             Ori Feels the burnOri 2/15/05 2:12 p.m.
                                   Re: Ori Feels the burnEnkidu 2/16/05 3:46 p.m.
                                         But the monsters in my dreams will get me...Brian Wise 2/16/05 10:56 p.m.
     Re: New Red Vs Blue Todayrampancy 2/15/05 5:51 a.m.
     Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayClaude Errera 2/15/05 7:40 a.m.
           Re: What news story? *NM* *NM*TwelveMotion 2/15/05 8:43 a.m.
                 The one about Ep 49 on rvb.com. *NM*Claude Errera 2/15/05 10:36 a.m.
           Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayBob-B-Q 2/15/05 9:26 a.m.
                 Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayClaude Errera 2/15/05 10:35 a.m.
                       Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayTwelveMotion 2/15/05 2:24 p.m.
                             Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayClaude Errera 2/15/05 3:14 p.m.
                                   Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayForrest of B.org 2/15/05 3:34 p.m.
                                         Agreed! *NM*Bob-B-Q 2/16/05 4:06 a.m.
           Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayWejam the Carter 2/16/05 3:19 p.m.
                 Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayBob-B-Q 2/16/05 4:54 p.m.
                       Re: New Red Vs Blue TodayClaude Errera 2/17/05 6:44 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.