/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Sharing your Internet connection
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 2/13/05 6:39 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Actually... (sigjets)

: Well thanks for the response. It's a pain getting files from my mac to the
: internet/pc because my isp will only let us use one computer at a time.

You can always get around that problem. The question is what hardware and OS version you have on each machine and how you connect to the Internet. If you have broadband - either cable or DSL, you can buy an inexpensive router and set it up to mimic one of your computers. Most routers have a "copy MAC address" option that will make your ISP think it's dealing directly with your computer. Once you log in, you can connect the second computer to your router and share the connection.

If you're on a dial-up connection, both computers need to either have eithernet connectors or firewire ports. Most Macs sold within the last 7 years or so have both. Airport/wireless connections will also work but, sadly, the Mac doesn't seem to support Internet over USB. The easiest way to share your connection is to connect to your ISP using the Mac and then share it's Internet connection with the PC. I know this works in OS X and I think it works in OS 9, but it's been a while so I don't remember the appropriate settings. In OS X, open the Network preference payne and click on "Show:" and select "Network Port Configurations". Make sure that the port you intend to use for connecting your PC is checked. If you don't see the port, click on New and add it. Next open the Sharing preference payne and and click on the Internet tab. Select your Internet connection method (i.e. modem or built-in ethernet) and then check the box for the port you intend to use to connect your PC, then click on the Start button. Finallly, go to the PC and fire up the Network control panel. Select the port your PC will use to connect to the Mac and configure it to use DHCP. You shouldn't need to select any other options - the Mac takes care of the rest.

My wife and I recently did this while traveling. At home we use a wireless router and both computers connect to Earthlink through Time Warner cable, which isn't picky about having multiple computers connecting at the same time - yet. When we traveled, I took my laptop and she took my old laptop along. I would then connect to Earthlink dial-up using my modem and I shared my Internet connection via Airport. She could then sit acros the room and check her e-mail etc. while I made posts to this forum. ;^) One caution, however - If you do have broadband and try to use a hub rather than a router and then try to share your Mac's Internet connection using the same port it's using for its own connection, you would effectively be sharing that connection with everyone on your ISP's network. The Mac will warn you about this, and your ISP will likely kick you off the network.

Good luck.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Aleph onesigjets 2/11/05 4:37 p.m.
     Re: Aleph onetcm 2/11/05 6:54 p.m.
     Re: Aleph oneAd Astra 2/11/05 7:15 p.m.
           Re: Aleph oneJohannes Gunnar 2/12/05 7:24 a.m.
     Actually...Me_43 2/11/05 10:55 p.m.
           Re: Actually...sigjets 2/12/05 9:25 a.m.
                 Re: Actually...Me_43 2/12/05 7:30 p.m.
                 Sharing your Internet connectionSteve Levinson 2/13/05 6:39 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.