/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Thoth and the S'pht'Kr (very long)
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/12/05 1:00 a.m.

In Response To: Thoth and the S'pht'Kr (very long) (Forrest of B.org)

: This completely overlooks the fact that K'lia folded out of Lh'owon orbit the
: same year that the Pfhor arrived, in which case it really wouldn't make a
: lot of sense to recall the S'pht'Kr right after they left. More
: importantly, the obvious implication to me is that either the S'pht'Kr
: built Thoth in the first place, or at the very least that they deactivated
: him, or knew that we was to be deactivated, and left a message on how to
: reactivate him.

Ok, this mystery has been solved. On Where the Twist Flops, Thoth clearly refers to the S'pht'Kr as his creators.

The remaining questions then, are How did the S'pht'Kr get to K'lia in the first place? And how did they build Thoth while under attack by the Mnr, while fleeing to K'lia? And how did they build in this "ansible" link to K'lia if they had just discovered it?

What I am thinking now is perhaps the S'pht'Kr had already built Thoth for other purposes (perhaps to mediate the wars and try to pacify their kin? Hence the obsession with balance). They then discovered how to ascend to K'lia, and gave an ansible link (in Eternal terms, a Cybernetic Junction) to Thoth, deactivating him and sealing him off, and leaving the key to his reactivation with the other S'pht Clans. Then they ascended to K'lia. On Slings and Arrows, the S'pht'Kr writing says that they've known that they will be leaving soon.

In terms of Eternal plot, I think I will revise it such that instead of arriving years after Hathor, we arrive shortly before she does. While Leela goes off to search for her in the network, we're told to stay put, but S'bhuth finds us, and through us finds the means to reach K'lia, and begins the plans for ascention, for Thoth's deacivation, for the emmisaries to other clans, and so on. Meanwhile, Hathor arrives, and before she can even do any harm, S'bhuh helps us kill her, throws us into statis and then leaves for K'lia, with the key to our release bound up in the same message as the key to Thoth's reactivation.

A thousand years later they get fed up with the other S'pht still not having settled their differences and leave Lh'owon entirely. Immediately thereafter the Pfhor arrive and enslave the S'pht, and the S'pht'Kr know nothing of this - Thoth could have told them, had he been activated, but they didn't happen in time (except in the failure branch of Eternal).

This all changes the nature of Thoth as we know him quite a bit, though. He is not the all-enlightened Jjaro AI that we all seem to treat him as. This kind of negates my earlier post about why Thoth perhaps would have helped the Pfhor, but maybe not. The S'pht knew the legends of the W'rkncacnter, it makes sense that Thoth would as well, and realizing what the Pfhor were about to do, would try to help them.

What it weakens, however, is the hypothesis that Thoth is responsible for us travelling time in Infinity. I still stand by all the evidence pointing to that as the cause of our jumps, they always happen Thoth is activated and the Electric Sheep terminals are in clear Thoth style - but it just doesn't make sense for Thoth to have this ability, unless S'bhuth and the S'pht'Kr had it as well, or Thoth has somehow surpassed the capabilities of his creators.

So there is still this mystery to solve. I'd appreciate any input about it. Thanks :-)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal Volunteers: Shp't Happensblake37 1/28/05 11:46 a.m.
     Sph't happens.. that's really clever. ^_^ *NM*K-chi 1/28/05 1:26 p.m.
           clever, yes.. but hardly original. *NM*tcm 1/28/05 2:25 p.m.
                 I've never heard it before. So sue me. *NM*K-chi 1/28/05 7:18 p.m.
                       okay. *NM*tcm 1/28/05 8:29 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers: Shp't HappensSteve Levinson 1/28/05 3:24 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers: Shp't Happensblake37 1/29/05 3:10 a.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers: Shp't HappensForrest of B.org 1/30/05 4:31 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers: Shp't HappensSteve Levinson 1/30/05 6:49 p.m.
     Thoth and the S'pht'Kr (very long)Forrest of B.org 2/11/05 11:58 p.m.
           Re: Thoth and the S'pht'Kr (very long)Forrest of B.org 2/12/05 1:00 a.m.
                 Re: Thoth and the S'pht'Kr (very long)RyokoTK 2/12/05 3:29 a.m.
                 Re: Thoth and the S'pht'Kr (very long)luke9 2/12/05 8:13 a.m.
     StuckPala 4/21/06 8:43 a.m.
           Re: StuckForrest of B.org 4/21/06 1:37 p.m.
                 Re: StuckPala 4/22/06 7:51 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.