/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: My Halathon review
Posted By: nforcerDate: 2/8/05 7:03 a.m.

In Response To: Re: My Halathon review (rampancy)

I'm one of the people associated with the Halathon project. Netplay is the focus of this conversion for now, but we are keeping open the possibility of some single-player stuff in the future. There is a lot of work to do before we consider things finished, and progress has been on and off. Lately it's been on. I posted an update to the site recently, showing off some new developments in a video (working shields!)

After reading rampancy's review I wanted to respond. There are a lot of features in Halo that Marathon simply was not designed for. Aleph One, despite all of its improvements still does not have everything we need to do everything that Halo does. Some of these features, like crouching and jumping were implemented in other games that used the Marathon engine (Damage Incorporated) but note that source from those games never made it into Aleph One. Keeping all of this in mind, I have written a little article titled "Things That Are Not: A Guide to Aleph One Engine Limitations and How They Affect Halathon" and posted it on the site. It goes through a lot of the points in some of the posts here and shows how we are not able to do certain things (or do them very well) at this time.

It would be great if we could get some developers to add features to A1 so we could overcome various engine limitations and make our mod even better. The A1 developers are busy people and don't have the time (or in some cases the motivation) to add all of the features we need. I don't blame them because developing software is hard work, especially when they choose to support 3 different platforms and try to keep compatibility.

For now, we are going to take what we can get and do what we can do. Anyone willing to contribute is welcome to do so. Hopefully people will be pleased with the results.

Forge House Site Link

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

halathontcm 2/3/05 6:14 p.m.
     Re: halathonrampancy 2/3/05 6:29 p.m.
           are you on a mac? *NM*tcm 2/3/05 6:47 p.m.
                 yeah, tcm...10.3.7, DP 1.25 G4 *NM* *NM*rampancy 2/4/05 9:07 a.m.
           Re: halathonukimalefu 2/3/05 6:57 p.m.
                 Re: halathonAndromeda_5[Kilo] 2/4/05 2:22 a.m.
                 Re: halathonvaxuum BOB 2/4/05 3:49 a.m.
                       hal-athon. heh. *NM*tcm 2/4/05 3:58 a.m.
                             Good morning Dave.... *NM*Andromeda_5[Kilo] 2/4/05 8:21 a.m.
     My Halathon reviewrampancy 2/4/05 8:47 a.m.
           Re: My Halathon reviewSiphonopho 2/4/05 12:24 p.m.
                 Re: My Halathon reviewrampancy 2/4/05 1:37 p.m.
                       Re: My Halathon reviewnforcer 2/8/05 7:03 a.m.
                             Re: My Halathon reviewrampancy 2/9/05 3:22 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.