/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Why not go PHPBB!?
Posted By: TwelveMotionDate: 2/1/05 8:59 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Why not go PHPBB!? (Steve Levinson)

: TwelveMotion, forgive me for assuming you were a little kid who wandered into
: here from reading about us on HBO. I see your references to having been
: involved with Marathon a long time ago. It's a bit surprising to most of
: us that anyone who has prior experience with Marathon would have just
: gotten around to beating M1 and wouldn't be aware of Rubicon. Please
: forgive us for making assumptions about you - it's very easy to do. BTW,
: there was a long thread here a while ago about all our first experiences
: playing Marathon. Why not tell us yours?

Alright.

I first saw Marathon in an old macworld magazine a very long time ago. A time so long ago as a matter of fact that Marathon was a new release! The graphics looked leaps and bounds ahead of Wolf 3D and doom, and I saw a screenshot of multiplayer with a flame thrower going off... I begged my parents to order it for me, but through some bizarre misunderstanding they ordered Pathways into Darkness instead. I was a little dissapointed, but I remember that Marathon was from the makers of PiD so I gave it a shot. Needless to say I was NOT dissapointed. Although I never beat PiD, or even got close (which is why I want it so badly on OSX now) I loved every second of play. The silence, the intensity. Then as soon as a gift holidy came along, I asked for Marathon, now certain I would love it. I played the game until G4-Sunbathing, I could never beat that level for some reason... I dabbled in TC a little, but running out of ammo and using my fists annoyed me (I know some of you guys live and die by the fist, it never did it for me though.) Then I discovered ... the map editor. The first thing I did with the map editor is add randomly respawning monsters to the multiplayer levels. I would spend hours just running around Mars Needs Woman killing aliens. Kinda giving me that multiplayer experience I could never have. After a while of making goofy maps I forgot all about the campaign and just did that all the time.

Then Marathon II came out I downloaded the demo and played it over and over and over, by the end I could easily beat it on TC. Then I got the game, played it and beat it. Once again I got into the map editor and began to work. I joined a Marathon Map Makers guild and we made map packages and uploaded them to AOL for all to download. I don't remember what the name of this club was though... I made tons of maps, but that was a long time ago. After that, being a full on Bungie fan, I got Myth without even thinking I could possible be dissapointed by it. I wasn't, and I never looked back. I played Myth and Myth II as much as I could until those STUPID WWII mods overtook the game like cancer. Then I got Starcraft, and OSX and I went ahead and got Oni also, and beat that 3 times on the hardest difficulty. I forgot all about Marathon, I heard about Infinity, but I was to far from the story to start a new one, and I had other games. Until ... Halo shattered the world. I beat Halo (the first time of 50) and it reminded me how good Bungie is at this and even though Halo has a decent story, it's NOTHING compared to the amazing depth of the Marathon story. So I googled marathon and found this website. I sat the first night and read all the tidbits posted here for about 5 hours a day until I read it all. At that time I had no idea OSX marathon projects even existed, so i figured if I couldn't play it I might as well read the terms and pretend I am.

Then I found out, from MacAddict magazine of all places, of a thing called Marathon Aleph One. When I saw the word Marathon in a modern magazine I almost shit my pants. I kept reading, and downloaded it right away. The rest as they say is history, and I have been going through M1 for the past few months trying to catch my Unicorn, and defeat my enemy G4 Sunbathing. Also I have never played infinity so I will do that also.

I know it's a long story, but you asked for it.

Rubicon I never heard of, could someone tell me more about it? I am assuming it's a expansion pack, or I mean a third party campaign?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 4:11 a.m.
     Re: Why not go PHPBB!?blake37 2/1/05 4:13 a.m.
           Re: Why not go PHPBB!?D-M.A. 2/1/05 4:20 a.m.
                 Re: Why not go PHPBB!?blake37 2/1/05 4:22 a.m.
                       Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Johannes Gunnar 2/1/05 4:32 a.m.
                 CLAUDE ERRERA!D-M.A. 2/1/05 4:24 a.m.
                       Re: CLAUDE ERRERA!Claude Errera 2/1/05 9:13 a.m.
                             Re: CLAUDE ERRERA!Me_43 2/12/06 4:53 p.m.
                                   Re: CLAUDE ERRERA!Me_43 2/12/06 4:59 p.m.
                                         Re: CLAUDE ERRERA!Bob-B-Q 2/12/06 6:17 p.m.
                                               Re: CLAUDE ERRERA!Me_43 2/14/06 10:29 p.m.
                 Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 4:32 a.m.
                       Re: Why not go PHPBB!?D-M.A. 2/1/05 4:39 a.m.
                       Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Jacke 2/1/05 4:54 a.m.
                             Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 5:04 a.m.
                                   Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Steve Levinson 2/1/05 5:24 a.m.
                                         Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 7:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Steve Levinson 2/1/05 8:16 a.m.
                                                     Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 8:43 a.m.
                                               Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Claude Errera 2/1/05 9:23 a.m.
                                                     Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 9:45 a.m.
                                                           Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Enkidu 2/1/05 11:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 1:49 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Enkidu 2/1/05 2:38 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Steve Levinson 2/1/05 3:20 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 8:59 p.m.
                                                                                   Good read :-) *NM*D-M.A. 2/2/05 4:14 a.m.
                                                                                   I gave you the links to Rubicon & to my site *NM*Steve Levinson 2/2/05 6:51 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Why not go PHPBB!?rampancy 2/2/05 1:30 p.m.
                                                     Re: Why not go PHPBB!?RyokoTK 2/1/05 12:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Claude Errera 2/3/05 4:36 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Reiginko 2/4/05 5:16 a.m.
     I like the forum! Don't change anything!!! *NM*Vid Boi 2/4/05 4:56 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.