/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

meh
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 2/1/05 7:07 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Not Enough Hulk! (rampancy)

: The only other thing I'd like to add here is that if it isn't the best 3rd
: party scenario, it's certainly the most controversial. For example,
: Frigidman, the leader of the team that produced Marathon EVIL, reputedly
: really tore into Rubicon in his reviews at Fileball, the Marathon file
: repository website similar to the Bungie.org Archives. A lot of people
: also didn't like the muted texture palette from what I recall.

: And then there was a poster on the old alt.games.marathon newsgroup who once
: apparently hated Rubicon so much that he compared it to Daikatana (ouch!).

The thing that really gets me is that those same people on AGM used to say the same thing about Eternal, or Forever More as it was back then. We all used to be in the same boat, along with things like Hoth and Rameses - those big, overly ambitious projects that would never get finished. A close real-life friend of mine who was once a regular on AGM told me recently, when I told him that Mark V was done and Eternal X was commencing, that "Duke Nukem Forever and Eternal have something in common - both have the release date in their title." Not too dissimilar from the Daikatana comments Chimera got.

And yet now, Chimera was released to rave reviews and everybody still loves it four years later, while four years later I'm just now getting to a stage where Eternal is almost beta-quality. Most everything in it will need to be redone before it's through. Once again I'm 90% finished and realize how much utter shit it all is. I think the difference is very simple - Chris and Scott have talent. I don't, and never will, if history is any indicator. I've had eight years to pick up the skills that some people pick up in one, and I don't think a million more will ever change that.

I'd say "I give up" again but we all know that won't stay true. I'll keep working on my collossal sack of shit, and continue to stay awake at night thinking about how much it sucks, no matter how many people say otherwise, and I'm sure you guys will never hear the end of my incessant whining about it. Goodnight.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Not Enough Hulk!TwelveMotion 1/31/05 1:30 p.m.
     Re: Not Enough Hulk!Steve Levinson 1/31/05 4:07 p.m.
           Re: Not Enough Hulk!tcm 1/31/05 5:00 p.m.
                 Re: Not Enough Hulk!rampancy 1/31/05 6:44 p.m.
                       Re: Not Enough Hulk!tcm 1/31/05 7:20 p.m.
                       Re: Not Enough Hulk!Lance Kerensky 1/31/05 8:01 p.m.
           Re: Not Enough Hulk!TwelveMotion 1/31/05 6:28 p.m.
                 Re: Not Enough Hulk!Ori 1/31/05 7:55 p.m.
                       Re: Not Enough Hulk!Steve Levinson 1/31/05 8:11 p.m.
                             Re: Not Enough Hulk!blake37 2/1/05 2:55 a.m.
                 Re: Not Enough Hulk!RyokoTK 2/1/05 3:34 a.m.
                       Re: Not Enough Hulk!Steve Levinson 2/1/05 3:42 a.m.
                             Re: Not Enough Hulk!TwelveMotion 2/1/05 4:07 a.m.
                                   Re: Not Enough Hulk!D-M.A. 2/1/05 4:18 a.m.
                                   Re: Not Enough Hulk!Steve Levinson 2/1/05 4:27 a.m.
                                         Re: Not Enough Hulk!Tyler 2/1/05 8:53 a.m.
                                               Re: Not Enough Hulk!RyokoTK 2/1/05 12:13 p.m.
                                         Re: Not Enough Hulk!rampancy 2/1/05 1:19 p.m.
                                               Re: Not Enough Hulk!blake37 2/1/05 1:23 p.m.
                                                     Re: Not Enough Hulk!ukimalefu 2/1/05 3:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Not Enough Hulk!blake37 2/1/05 3:18 p.m.
                                               Re: Not Enough Hulk!Steve Levinson 2/1/05 3:37 p.m.
                                                     Durandal and Dangirampancy 2/1/05 4:20 p.m.
                                                           Re: Durandal and DangiSteve Levinson 2/1/05 7:28 p.m.
                                         Re: Not Enough Hulk!rampancy 2/1/05 4:29 p.m.
                                               mehForrest of B.org 2/1/05 7:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: mehSteve Levinson 2/1/05 7:22 p.m.
                                                           Re: mehRyokoTK 2/2/05 1:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: mehForrest of B.org 2/2/05 2:06 p.m.
                                                                       Re: mehRyokoTK 2/2/05 2:16 p.m.
                                                                             Re: mehSteve Levinson 2/2/05 4:11 p.m.
                                                                             Re: mehSimon of team Sigma 2/3/05 7:00 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: mehRyokoTK 2/3/05 12:57 p.m.
                                                     Re: mehrampancy 2/2/05 1:19 p.m.
                                                     Re: mehblake37 2/2/05 1:48 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.