/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Why not go PHPBB!?
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 2/1/05 8:16 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Why not go PHPBB!? (TwelveMotion)

: Noob?

: I think you are taking my /suggestion/ to change this forums format to phpbb
: a little too personally.

Personally? Not at all. What I was saying is that your posts fit a pattern that I've seen over and over again. I'm trying to help you avoid some of the pitfalls that others have fallen into. Actually, you've had some very good and useful posts. I gave you this advice because I didn't want to see you end up as a flash in the pan - annoying everyone, annoyed by everyone and then just leaving. We all appreciate your ideas, but a simple search of past threads will show that discussion of the forum's format has come up many times before.

And in terms of the spam attack - it wasn't the forums format but rather a faulty IP blocking algorithm that was to blame. Were a PHP-formatted forum to have a similar lapse, the result would be even worse. All you would see would be the spam posts and nothing else.

Regarding designing your map, well, we see a lot of map and scenario ideas here, all with a plea for someone to join their team. We've had a lot of discussion on this very topic and there was even a brief effort to pool all the talent available to work on a single project rather than a gazillion projects that would never see the light of day. The bottom line is that it's very unlikely that your entheusiasm for your map idea will interest someone with the skills to make it. If you aren't willing to take the time to do it yourself, how can you expect someone else to. Anyone can learn to use Forge - it's tedious as hell and there are many quirks and tricks, but it doesn't have a long learning curve. There are even discussion groups just for mapmakers. If you really want to see your map built, start with just a tiny portion of what you want to do, just to get your feet wet. Play around with Forge, learn the ropes and then start adding onto your map, tearing down the sections that no longer seem good enough unitl you have your map the way you want it. Then we'll all play it ;^)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 4:11 a.m.
     Re: Why not go PHPBB!?blake37 2/1/05 4:13 a.m.
           Re: Why not go PHPBB!?D-M.A. 2/1/05 4:20 a.m.
                 Re: Why not go PHPBB!?blake37 2/1/05 4:22 a.m.
                       Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Johannes Gunnar 2/1/05 4:32 a.m.
                 CLAUDE ERRERA!D-M.A. 2/1/05 4:24 a.m.
                       Re: CLAUDE ERRERA!Claude Errera 2/1/05 9:13 a.m.
                             Re: CLAUDE ERRERA!Me_43 2/12/06 4:53 p.m.
                                   Re: CLAUDE ERRERA!Me_43 2/12/06 4:59 p.m.
                                         Re: CLAUDE ERRERA!Bob-B-Q 2/12/06 6:17 p.m.
                                               Re: CLAUDE ERRERA!Me_43 2/14/06 10:29 p.m.
                 Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 4:32 a.m.
                       Re: Why not go PHPBB!?D-M.A. 2/1/05 4:39 a.m.
                       Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Jacke 2/1/05 4:54 a.m.
                             Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 5:04 a.m.
                                   Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Steve Levinson 2/1/05 5:24 a.m.
                                         Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 7:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Steve Levinson 2/1/05 8:16 a.m.
                                                     Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 8:43 a.m.
                                               Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Claude Errera 2/1/05 9:23 a.m.
                                                     Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 9:45 a.m.
                                                           Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Enkidu 2/1/05 11:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 1:49 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Enkidu 2/1/05 2:38 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Steve Levinson 2/1/05 3:20 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Why not go PHPBB!?TwelveMotion 2/1/05 8:59 p.m.
                                                                                   Good read :-) *NM*D-M.A. 2/2/05 4:14 a.m.
                                                                                   I gave you the links to Rubicon & to my site *NM*Steve Levinson 2/2/05 6:51 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Why not go PHPBB!?rampancy 2/2/05 1:30 p.m.
                                                     Re: Why not go PHPBB!?RyokoTK 2/1/05 12:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Claude Errera 2/3/05 4:36 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Why not go PHPBB!?Reiginko 2/4/05 5:16 a.m.
     I like the forum! Don't change anything!!! *NM*Vid Boi 2/4/05 4:56 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.