/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Eternal Volunteers - Welcome To Middlesex
Posted By: Adam AshwellDate: 1/21/05 5:21 a.m.

Welcome to Middlesex, my friends. We've just failed (yet again), and we're back on the UESC station place. But this time the Pfhor are here, so we're in for a bit of fun.

The terminal at the end is very interesting. First we have Durandal talking about the other two AIs of the Marathon and himself. He seems to have grown more humble, too - he's placing Leela as his equal or even his superior. He says that he left her behind before and will not make the same mistake again. We begin to see likable qualities in Durandal, such as caring, respect, and (slight) humility. Good work on the terminal writing - the dream terminals in Eternal are much more interesting and such than in most other scenarios.

I think the reason we're on the station is that Hathor destroyed the S'pht, and now Durandal couldn't use the S'pht to fight off the Pfhor invasion of the Marathon. The problem with this, though, (if it's true) is that without the S'pht I truly doubt thngs would have proceeded to that point the same way. The Pfhor Empire would probably be quite different, and I don't think they would have attacked the Marathon in the same manner. While they probably would've at some point, it's a bit much to assume that you can just extract the S'pht from the timeline and have things go smoothly up until the attack on the Marathon. Then again, this may not be true.

One thing I'd suggest for this level would be seeing Bobs fight against the Pfhor, fighting a losing battle and getting massacred. Again I say this because it would create an appropriate atmosphere. Even if there's some logical reason that the Bobs are already dead (such as the Pfhor have already taken the station), I think often gameplay, smoothness, and atmosphere are more important than "making sense" at times.

And Forrest, did I delve enough into the story here? Sorry I wasn't doing that earlier.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal Volunteers - Welcome To MiddlesexAdam Ashwell 1/21/05 5:21 a.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers - Welcome To Middlesexblake37 1/21/05 11:07 a.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers - Welcome To MiddlesexSteve Levinson 1/21/05 11:55 a.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers - Welcome To MiddlesexAdam Ashwell 1/21/05 12:11 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers - Welcome To MiddlesexForrest of B.org 1/21/05 10:27 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers - Welcome To MiddlesexForrest of B.org 1/21/05 10:26 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers - Welcome To Middlesexgoran 1/22/05 1:05 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.