/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Easy Trilogy Checklist for Mac and PC
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 1/20/05 10:53 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Easy Trilogy Checklist for Mac and PC (Andromeda_5[Kilo])

: For M1 you tell the prospective user to download M1A1. That might be
: confusing...I know that when I first heard M1A1 I didn't have a clue what
: it meant. Same as for SDL, you could explain what that stands for, or at
: least provide a link to something that explains it.

I don't need to tell them what M1A1 is. What they want is to play Marathon 1 on their modern Mac or PC. I'm telling them that to play Marathon 1, you need to download Zip File A and Zip File B and put them together and double-click on this file. It doesn't matter what the two files are called.

: You also don't add the nitty gritty specifics, like instead of saying
: download "such and such" file and unzip; you might want to give
: bigger step-by-step instructions, maybe with numbers or bullets.

I'm still not sure what you mean, other than click-by-click "this is how you move a file, this is how you make a folder" kind of stuff. Did you maybe not notice that when it says to download [something], that [something] is a hyperlink to that file?

: And maybe tell the person what Marathon ISN'T. Such as, it's not a ROM, it
: isn't JUST for one OS, etc...

It says that in the texts at the top and bottom. At the top it says that "you can play all three Marathon games for free on nearly any Mac or PC". At the bottom there is a whole paragraph about Marathon's history, from a humble Mac shooter in 1994, through it's sequel, the Windows port, another sequel and the editors, and now open source. I even stuck another paragraph on about Aleph One specifically.

From my experience people don't usually care to know the technical details of what files and programs do what - they wan't to be told, "click this, now click that, and now you can play." So that's what I told them, download A, download B, add A to B and click to play.

As soon as I get word from Raul, I'll be making it even simpler. "Download THIS. Click that. Play."

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Easy Trilogy Checklist for Mac and PCForrest of B.org 1/19/05 8:49 p.m.
     It gets even better...Forrest of B.org 1/20/05 3:19 a.m.
           Re: It gets even better...Owen 1/20/05 10:19 a.m.
                 Re: It gets even better...Forrest of B.org 1/20/05 10:28 a.m.
                       Re: It gets even better...Owen 1/20/05 10:47 a.m.
                             Re: It gets even better...RyokoTK 1/20/05 12:20 p.m.
                                   Re: It gets even better...Owen 1/20/05 12:36 p.m.
                                         Re: It gets even better...D-M.A. 1/23/05 6:31 a.m.
           Re: It gets even better...ukimalefu 1/20/05 11:32 a.m.
                 Re: It gets even better...ukimalefu 1/20/05 11:46 a.m.
     Re: Easy Trilogy Checklist for Mac and PCAndromeda_5[Kilo] 1/20/05 1:47 p.m.
           Re: Easy Trilogy Checklist for Mac and PCForrest of B.org 1/20/05 1:51 p.m.
                 Re: Easy Trilogy Checklist for Mac and PCAndromeda_5[Kilo] 1/20/05 2:19 p.m.
                       Re: Easy Trilogy Checklist for Mac and PCForrest of B.org 1/20/05 10:53 p.m.
                             Nevermind.... *NM*Andromeda_5[Kilo] 1/21/05 5:13 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.