/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporter
Posted By: TylerDate: 1/17/05 2:52 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporter (Andromeda_5[Kilo])

: I never realy understood the concept of the pattern buffers. Do they save the
: molecular and electrical structures of the body and mind? Or do they
: simply reverse time and make the character become reformed back in the
: past, where he's good and healthy?

: Forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions, I have yet to play Marathon
: Infinity.

I beleive, in means of reality and Bungie's choices, needed a save point where a player would save and be able to reappear after dieing a few thousand times. They called it a pattern buffer and gave some sort of scientific explanation to it'd have some meaning rather than it being a big screen saying "SAVE HERE" in big red letters.

Or, it might have been like it says in the manual, the Biochemielectrical reading were recorded onto the computer for later ressurection, but I find a few things wrong with this concept.

If your biochemielectrical (lets just say Bio readings) were stored to be ressurected for later in the future, if ressurected later on after you died, would there be someway for the pattern buffer to recognize that your dead?
And if you were ressurected, wouldn't everything you killed be dead, and you'd walk around and find a bunch of dead bodies that the copy may have never killed, so getting around would be easier than doingthe same thing over... and over... and over..

But then it could be like on Star Trek, on DS9, the Dominion had leaders, the Vorta, ressurected themselves after every time their previous clone was dead. They had their memories restored after every time they died. Weyoun was killed Seven times (ooOOooo) and after evrry death he remembered how he died and everythingbefore that. This may have been also consistant with the Marathon Marine. Maybe since the player has enhancements, like a special plug into the rechargers, he may have a special plug to put into the pattern buffer to remember how strong his sheilds were and such, and have a monitor to notify if the marine had been killed. And then after evrytime they read a flatline, they'd pump out another marine.

But one thing that makes everything confusing, how does this make everything you killed the time before you were brought back be alive again? Lets look at this programming-wise. The engine may have not been able to do something like this, so therefore we kind of restart after every time we die. This also means we don't have weak enemies and try and gain/lose a certain amount of lives, which would've made gameplay a bit more difficult, and did not add to the story (reffering to Infinity's FInal Screen, "you died a thousand times" etc).

Thats my two cents.......

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterMarble Legacy 1/13/05 1:52 p.m.
     Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterAdam Ashwell 1/13/05 2:19 p.m.
           Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterMalakite 1/13/05 3:12 p.m.
                 Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterukimalefu 1/13/05 4:08 p.m.
                       Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterMalakite 1/13/05 4:17 p.m.
                             Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterTyler 1/13/05 5:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterCheerful 1/13/05 11:02 p.m.
                                         Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporteripH 1/14/05 2:31 a.m.
                                               LOL - Clever :^) *NM*Steve Levinson 1/14/05 6:17 a.m.
                                         Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterMarble Legacy 1/14/05 12:55 p.m.
                                               Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterCheerful 1/15/05 4:49 p.m.
     Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterRoguexcx 1/14/05 11:18 a.m.
           Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporteripH 1/14/05 5:13 p.m.
                 Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterAndromeda_5[Kilo] 1/15/05 5:42 p.m.
                       Wolf3D is our preferenceNraw of Clan Elyk 1/16/05 1:08 a.m.
                             Re: Wolf3D is our preferenceAndromeda_5[Kilo] 1/16/05 3:30 p.m.
                 Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterAndrew Nagy 1/16/05 7:27 p.m.
                       Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterAndromeda_5[Kilo] 1/17/05 7:14 a.m.
                             Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporteripH 1/17/05 7:20 a.m.
                             Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterTyler 1/17/05 2:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterAndrew Nagy 1/18/05 4:26 a.m.
                       Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporteripH 1/17/05 7:14 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.