/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporter
Posted By: Andrew NagyDate: 1/16/05 7:27 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporter (ipH)

: I agree that smarter monsters would have added a lot to Marathon's gameplay.
: I can't really speak to Doom, because the only one I played was Doom II
: and that was years ago. I always thought Marathon's stupid monsters were
: to an extent explainable from a plot perspective; the Marine is so fast
: (stronger, better shot) that he can literally run circles around a group
: of Troopers without taking a single bullet. Marathon, I think, is the only
: FPS that has any plausable explanation for a single badass being able to
: wipe out entire armies.

For some people, Marathon combat has more to do with making your enemies go berserk and kill each other. Not really all that plausible.

In a future Marathon game, I'd like to see enemies that are smarter, but still occasionally fight each other, since it's a distinctive aspect of Marathon gameplay.

: As far as Pattern Buffers go, they not only add the gameplay element of only
: being able to save at certain points, but also adds to the plot. The
: Marine dies a thousand times, but his pattern is saved, etc.

That's debatable. I'd say it more likely overcomplicates and perforates the plot. What are the pattern buffers supposed to do/normally used for, when not used with Jjaro Boxers? How could humans build devices (based on Jjaro tech) that were capable of time travel, and apparently not even know it? And so on.

Also, just for gameplay reasons, it limits the player to only fighting in places with pattern buffers. Tempus Irae either ignored this or contrived some new technology to get around it; I don't remember exactly which.

It's possible that Bungie meant it to tie into Infinity's plot. But my completely uninformed guess is that if Greg/Bungie made Marathon with what they know today, they'd leave out pattern buffers and use a save system more like Myth, Oni, and Halo.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterMarble Legacy 1/13/05 1:52 p.m.
     Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterAdam Ashwell 1/13/05 2:19 p.m.
           Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterMalakite 1/13/05 3:12 p.m.
                 Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterukimalefu 1/13/05 4:08 p.m.
                       Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterMalakite 1/13/05 4:17 p.m.
                             Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterTyler 1/13/05 5:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterCheerful 1/13/05 11:02 p.m.
                                         Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporteripH 1/14/05 2:31 a.m.
                                               LOL - Clever :^) *NM*Steve Levinson 1/14/05 6:17 a.m.
                                         Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterMarble Legacy 1/14/05 12:55 p.m.
                                               Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterCheerful 1/15/05 4:49 p.m.
     Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterRoguexcx 1/14/05 11:18 a.m.
           Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporteripH 1/14/05 5:13 p.m.
                 Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterAndromeda_5[Kilo] 1/15/05 5:42 p.m.
                       Wolf3D is our preferenceNraw of Clan Elyk 1/16/05 1:08 a.m.
                             Re: Wolf3D is our preferenceAndromeda_5[Kilo] 1/16/05 3:30 p.m.
                 Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterAndrew Nagy 1/16/05 7:27 p.m.
                       Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterAndromeda_5[Kilo] 1/17/05 7:14 a.m.
                             Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporteripH 1/17/05 7:20 a.m.
                             Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterTyler 1/17/05 2:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporterAndrew Nagy 1/18/05 4:26 a.m.
                       Re: Doom sucks! Input from a Doom supporteripH 1/17/05 7:14 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.